Fantasy films and the Hero's Journey

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by filmbuff004, Dec 1, 2017.

1. filmbuff004

filmbuff004 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello I'm a film student currently working on my dissertation and I have a few questions that I would like as many people to answer. They will concerning the influence the Hero's Journey as proposed by Joseph Campbell has had on modern fantasy film and if it still has it uses or should no longer be used or be reinterpreted.

Now I want all those that answer my questions to have a basic understanding of the Hero's Journey so that your answers can be as detailed as possible.

OK now on to the questions

What kind of influence do you believe the Hero's Journey has had on the fantasy genre?

Do you believe this is a good thing?

Why do you think the fantasy genre lends itself to the Hero's Journey so often?

Do you feel there are more positives or negatives?

Are there any changes or recommendations to the Hero's Journey that you would suggest?

2. Jess Leigh

Jess Leigh Serial Scrawler

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

1) The application of the hero’s journey as a theatrical framework for the creation of the story has value to some writers and directors, some of the time. The application of the hero’s journey as a theoretical framework for interpretation after the story has been written and/or filmed has value to some academics, some of the time. That’s how I’d summarise the influence.

2) As a viewer or reader, I have no interest in it. As a writer, I have no interest in it. As a student, I had an interest in it only for the assignments featuring it as an unavoidable focus. Right now I have an interest in it only because I want to help you out with your dissertation. The hero's journey is, in my opinion, neither good nor bad; it’s just one of the things in the world. Sometimes it's a help, sometimes it's a hindrance, it all depends on who is using it, how and why.

3) Possibly because a hero tends to be pretty well equipped to deal with the fantastical worlds and situations that turn up in fantasy stories. Possibly not. Possibly other reasons. Hopefully, someone else will give you some thoughts on those.

4) The answer to question one is also how I’d summarise the positives and negatives.

5) I wouldn’t suggest any changes to it because writers and directors already adhere to it, modify it or decide it’s not appropriate for their stories.

Good luck with your dissertation!

3. filmbuff004

filmbuff004 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply I appreciate it and your answers are really insightful

4. Jess Leigh

Jess Leigh Serial Scrawler

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    That's kind of you to say, thanks.