Fallout 4

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Mathius, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    It's been confirmed. Release date is supposedly Dec 31, 2015 and you can now pre-order on Amazon and Steam, and probably others.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YQ1NOPM

Here's the launch trailer:

So far my initial reaction is, "wait and see." I'll probably buy the game regardless because I know what to expect from Bethesda, but the trailer shows me a lot of stuff we've already seen and kinda stinks of a pre-war story, which I am not that interested in.

Also, I'm not sure what to make of the vault dweller talking? Is that supposed to be our character or something else? I don't think the PC has ever had a voice in any of these games and I'm not sure he/she should.

Anyways, too soon to complain or get excited, but it's here, and I'm waiting to reserve judgement.

2. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I think the trailer was just showing the difference between pre war and after catastrophe. plus don't put any stock in a release date like that cause all that means is they're thinking it'll possibly be before the end of the year that they release the game. personally I'm interested to see more about it though, mostly because Bethesda is good at making massive games which I tend to enjoy. I'm sure they'll talk more in detail when they hold their E3 press conference, which I will probably watch on twitch since I should be home for it.

3. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    I agree with almost everything you said, but I don't necessarily think they would have put together such a pre-war trailer if it wasn't a major part of the game. Remember, this is the first actual look we've seen of the game, so the trailer should tease the actual theme.

As far as the release date goes, I did say, "supposedly." But we do have reason to be optimistic about it, because they've been teasing this game almost as far back as a year ago (Erik Dellum mentioned it in an interview), and there has been evidence that people who have worked on the game have already left the project looking for other employment.

And it has been what? 4 years since Skyrim was released now?

My biggest trepidation is based on what engine they will be using. The single most limiting factor IMO of the last 3 games Bethesda has been attached to is that they're still using a 32-bit platform, rendering any memory past 4gb as useless. I hope they chose to move ahead from that after Skyrim, but it's hard to tell anything from that trailer and so far as I know nobody is actually talking about the game yet. Of course it was just announced yesterday, so maybe we'll have more news today.

4. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    A buddy of mine actually mentioned that the reason it's taken so long for them to announce might be because they were working on a complete overhaul of their engines, so hopefully that's the case. and more info will probably happen during their press conference at E3. they might announce little tidbits of info before, but I think they're saving a major load of info for when they're up on stage and actually talking about it, and quite possibly showing some gameay. if they are attempting to release it at some point this year, they will most likely bave a full E3 demo ready to go. honestly I'm just happy they are finally coming out with something in this new generation of consoles. I was a bit surprised they didn't announce anything last year already. me personally, I would like the next installment of Elder Scrolls, but that's only because I enjoy that franchise a whole lot more. Not to take anything away from Fallout, but I prefer fantasy over pist apocalypse.

5. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    awesome!

6. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +211 / 2 / -0
    Deffinately looking forward to this, I love the Fallout series

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I found the trailer a bit underwhelming. I just prefer the Elder Scrolls above Fallout and the fact that with mods you can have Skyrim looking much better than what Fallout looks in the trailer is a disappointment. Oh, I'm sure there will be mods to make Fallout 4 look better. And I'm sure it will still be fun to play. But I can't say that I'm so excited about this game.

8. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +211 / 2 / -0
    To be honest I dont mind if the graphics aren't amazing as long as the game is good to play. I'd rather play a game that may look underwhelming or dated but that is good and lasts for a lot of hours over one that has amazing graphics but is over in a few hours. I love both The Elder Scrolls and the Fallout series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    Here's some more info:

That is the entire Bethesda E3 coverage. It's two and a half hours long...

If you want to skip to the fallout 4 stuff, it's between 1:05:00, and 1:39:00 in the video, and then there is an interview at the end between 2:14:00 and the end of the video with Todd Howard.

They really didn't give much information on the game in general.. they showed off dynamic building system and gave some information about the start of the game, and player building, and pointed out that there WILL be a voiced protagonist, but there's really no mention of what the actual focus of the plot is.

As far as the engine goes, it's an updated Creation Engine "for the next gen" whatever that means. Hopefully it's a 64 bit version since the new consoles are 64 bit. At this point it's just time. The fact that it's an updated creation engine though, bodes well for modding since it will probably still use the .nif system and other things we're familiar with.

Obviously Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, have all been really great games, but I have a hard time not thinking that Bethesda just has this "good enough" attitude when they put these games out. It's almost unfair to say this given how great these games are, but they could be even better.

As far as the new features go, so far I do NOT like the voiced protagonist and I'm hoping that they will give us a way to turn it off. Otherwise I'm hoping someone will come up with a mod to turn it off. I don't want any part of it.

I'm a little against the whole modular building feature they've added for a couple of reasons... they've basically added a mini-Minecraft to Fallout, which I don't really think was necessary, and I kinda like having modded areas limited to people who want to take the time to learn the creation kit. That means they're going to take it serious and put out some effort as opposed to someone who just wants to build a bunch of crap and share it on the server.

I still think it's gonna be a really good game, but I'm not crazy about a lot of the new features they're pushing now.

I do, however, think the player creation looks amazingly improved, and if it works as good as advertised, then we should be able to make some pretty accurate likenessess of ourselves or others.

And obviously the size of the world is going to just lend itself to more exploring, which is one of my favorite aspects of these games.

P.S.... off topic, but Doom looks frig'n awesome.

10. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
  11. Gerelt

Gerelt New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I guess everyone is to busy playing to say how great it is. I have been loving the game.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pinkduckie

Pinkduckie Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I don't play it, (computer isn't good enough) but I have a friend who bought a collectors edition, the pipboy was cool :D

13. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    this game is part of me not posting much in the last couple weeks, that and FF XIV ARR. it's a great game, though it does have some minor issues with me which I won't get into (too much booze to think clearly:D). it's nothing too major though, except I haven't played it in a few days cause it froze on me, though maybe next week I might get back into it and stream a bit.

14. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    so I played a bit more today for the first time in a while, killed a few super mutants, found some stuff, and then got killed by bugs :mad:

15. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    I'm a little disappointed to be honest. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fun, amazing game, but it feels more like a FO3 HD remake than an actual sequel. The Commonwealth has the same overall feel of the Capital Wastelands, minus some of the historical and governmental significance and despite the fact that I love FO3 more than FONV, I was disappointed that they used pretty much none of the innovations from NV except expanding the weapon mods and making it a thing.

I'm also extremely frustrated that if you choose to take part in the Settlement missions, but don't put a ton of points into Strength or Strength perks, you pretty much spend the whole game overencumbered or unable to build your settlements how you want. I would have been far happier if I didn't have to collect resources for each individual settlement and instead I could pool my resources into one workshop.

Having said all that, it's still fun like FO3 and NV were, it just doesn't feel very new. I like the old Mirelurk design better. So far to date I haven't seen an entirely new enemy except for the Radstags and a few Mirelurk variations like the Mirelurk hunter or Mirelurk queen.

I'm not into the main story enough to review it one way or another. I'm also a bit frustrated I can't find a base outfit better than the vault suit. Tired of looking at it.

16. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    yea, I feel like they went with small steps with their first foray into new gen console games. the biggest new thing is the settlements, and they could've done it much better, though I am not saying it's not cool, but it can be a bit of a pain in the arse to tell you the truth, especially when trying to make a building that is actually put together properly, and the game is all like 'nope, can't put a wall there derp'. I look forward to seeing what they improve upon for ES6, which I'm sure is around the corner.

17. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    Given their track record, Todd Howard will be heavily involved with TES6, which means they didn't start development on it until after FO4 was more or less settled, meaning they may have not even started it now, meaning you're looking at a few more years before it comes out.

Personally, I'm getting tired of Todd Howard and his bs responses when there are issues with the game.

We really are spoiled, though, when a game of this magnitude doesn't meet standards. It just doesn't feel "new" enough, and in some cases feels like a step back. I'm ok with the game for a while, I'm just not sure it will hold my attention as long as FO3, FONV, or Skyrim.

18. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Man. I liked fallout 4. Only shitty thing about it was the old engine/ graphics, and retarded Dialog options.But most of there problems are due to peasants on PS4 and slaves on Xbox-es. You have to suit your game for console audience because it has the most profit.

And mega epic excited for TES6.

19. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I think they would have gone for what FO4 was regardless. I feel like it's a very good game, not great (mostly cause it's FO and not ES) but very good. here's to waiting at least another couple years I'm sure

20. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    I totally agree with you there. I hate the voiced protagonist. It doesn't feel like it's me being the character anymore, it feels like I'm controller a preset character, like playing Tomb Raider, vs. making my own character in Skyrim. I also think it's going to hurt the modding community, because how do you have voiced quests without having to cut and paste a lot of sound bytes from the original voice. It's not like the original voice actor is going to volunteer his services just so the modding community can realistically give him more dialogue.

Also, for as many options as we have in the character creation screen, I still don't have enough tolerance to make the character look like me. There isn't enough shaping to the eyes, and the hair styles are still limited pretty much to what they were in FO3. I can't believe there's no fade for straight hair, only the thicker hair.