Faith of the Fallen

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by Confessor, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Please discuss Faith of the Fallen in this section.

2. Wolf star *

Wolf star * I walk alone.

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I loved this Book more then any other.

The statue is the best part of the book and how he destroyed it at the end was very dramatic.

(Your life is yours rise up and live it.)- Terry Goodkind

3. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    it's not very often i hear that faith of the fallen is a favorite. this is when the series took a strange turn for me at least. it was probably the most confusing book of the series, in that nicci was so incredibly hard to understand. but that is not to say the book was a let down. i still very much liked it. it was different.

4. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I definitely agree that this one was a little strange. We've discussed the oddities of Nicci before, rvsp, and my opinion on that still hasn't changed! Her randomly popping up was strange, to say the least, not to mention her whole taking Richard into "oblivion".

However, having re-read the series a few more times, Faith of the Fallen is also one of my favourites too. While Nicci remains perplexing throughout, she leads us through a great story; one with a great ending. Their time spent in Jagang's hometown is probably the worst conditions either of them have ever had to live through, and the fact that they could just as easily not have done so, made the situation all the more intriguing. Richard could've just given up. He was never going to see Kahlan again, and Nicci would kill her, and then probably him, if he tried anything funny. Either way, his life was over. But he didn't. He made the most of his hapless situation, and showed us some more of that strength of will, of character. He showed business prowess, taught otherwise wayward youths on how to better themselves, and sought to make the life of those around him altogether better, despite them being the countrymen of the man he is defending the world against. This is the kind of genuine, honest, hardworking character anyone can appreciate and look up to, and again helps to confirm TG's great potential when it comes to creating and developing characters.

I liked the ending of this one...even though Richard gets run through with his own sword :cool:
    And I agree with Wolf star *, the creation and destruction of the statue was very dramatic. I can only imagine what a spectacle such a thing would be, especially considering it was a thing of remarkable beauty, standing amongst carvings of hatred.

5. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    absolutely! after having read your comments about faith of the fallen, i've gained a new found appreciation for the book. the ethics in 'faith' are far different than the ethics dealt with in a greater majority of fantasy.

perhaps i should read 'faith' again as you have r.r. even though we've dicussed her motivations, another careful read will better help me fully grasp the charater nicci. its not that i did not like her character or the book, but i didn't fully appreciate either as much as i should have since i didn't fully understand.

as mentioned, the finale was one of the better in the series.

this is definately the "thinking man's" book in the sword of truth series.

6. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I'd certainly recommend that you re-read it. I found that after I'd read through the series once, it was quite difficult to remember all that had happened, because so much happens! I've read all 9 books two or three now, and not only does it help you recall more events, and where and when they happened, but it also allows you to think about the characters more, and helps you to understand why they make the decisions they do, and any significance their actions might have in the future. Well, that's what I think anyway :)

7. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    I just re-read this book over the weekend. I started it late Friday night and was up to chapter twenty by the time I looked at the clock it was 11:30 that night. So I went to bed and got up about 9 the next morning and finished the book by 9 that evening. Above all it is really a fascinating book. I enjoyed the way you found out a little bit about Nicci's past and who she was at one time in her life. One time she was a child who only understood doing things for the Creator's children who couldn't earn money on their own. Her youth history is indeed tragic but those events helped create the woman who she is today. Yet I'm intrigued to learn more about her. I believe she finally got her answer about why she took Richard.

I believe the basis of this book is to let the readers know that the world is indeed cruel. There are people who lie/cheat/steal in order to get fed. We see it done as Richard tries his best to get a job and not being able to use magic while he is at his job. By doing this he learns that he like others is human and like any other human he can become tired and he is even lied to several times. Yet what makes this story so unique is that Richard helps those who do not trust people to do so. The people who are told by Jagang what to do are able to get a glimpse of what it is like to not follow the orders. The parts when Richard begins to work on the statue is amazing and the final glance we get as the readers is Amazing. It was sad that they had to tear it down but in the end the statue brought the people hope. Once ope as dead with these people but by Richard creating that statue he helped rebuild hope.

I enjoyed the way that Richard taught Kahlan how to wield a sword and what the Sword of Truth was able to do to her as she wielded the mighty weapon. I enjoyed the way that Richard's Weapon in this book was a chisel and hammer.

8. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    It was the best book, easily. It redeemed the whole series, which I thought was going downhill.

9. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    It did seem to drop of for a while didn't it? I enjoyed it very much. I finished P.O.C. and thought it was interesting to meet two more offspring of Darken Rahl. Oba was an interesting character but I thought his death was pretty pitiful.