Extended DVD Speculation

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Anduril, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Here are some things that were cut out of the theatrical release and that may make it into the extended edition. They can be seen in the official trailer, the game, and DVD preview.

1. Aragorn walking up to an empty throne in Minas Tirith. That must be Anduril in his hand.
    2. Aragorn saying to Gandalf "He has gone unchallenged long enough."
    3. Merry kneeling before Theoden as Edoras.
    4. Merry taking Pippin's hand and saying "We shall see the Shire again."
    5. Finally, Gandalf and Pippin apoun Shadowfax riding and meeting the witchking in Minas Tirith.

The following are in the official trailer with the time listed:

6. 0:37 Line from Elrond, "This is your test. Every path you have trod, through wilderness, through war, has led to this road."
    7. 0:49 Arwen standing on the bridge.
    8. 0:56 (I think) The elven smith holding the newly reforged Andúril.
    9. 1:22 Gandalf and Pippin looking out on the darkness of Mordor.
    10. 2:42 Eomer weeping on the battle field.
    11. 2:01 (I think) Legolas with the rohirrim.
    12. 2:14 Line from Elrond. "You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you any more."
    13: 2:29 Arwen embracing Elrond.
    14: 2:34 Aragorn looking remorseful.

Here are some things from the game that are not in the movie.

14. Pippin weaping on the battlefield while holding Merry.
    15. Some extra shots from the paths of the dead with piles of skulls and a skull in a helm.
    16. Aragorn looking hesitant before going into the paths of the dead.

And last I would like to note some things that another member here and I noticed in the film.

17. When Aragorn rides back to the army after standing in front of the black gate, his sword is bloody without fighting anyone.
    18. When Aragorn is crowned king the white tree is blooming.

Maybe some others can add to this with things they've seen..

2. Hawkbat

Hawkbat Master of Doom

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Right I noticed that his sword was bloody too. I suppose from the weapons and warfare book that Aragorn Kills the Mouth of Sauron. I hope to see alot in the EE but I suppose that I'll still be disappointed, Peter Jackson can't please everyone. least of all me. But I really miss the showdown of Gandolf and The Witchking At the gate. I think that the witchking actually breaking gandolfs staff is a bit much, I think it should be more of a battle of wills instead of weapons.

Lord_Hawkbat

3. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My biggest disappointment with The Two Towers and The Return of the King is that they don't build any relationship between Aragorn and Eomer which, in the book, is quite strong.

4. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Most of that building happened at Helm's Deep, which didn't happen in the movie b/c Éomer replaced Erkenbrand, but I'm sure you already knew that.

5. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I know. But I still miss it.

6. DohHunter

DohHunter Community Defender

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    These were my EE predictions I had sent in to theonering.net..............lets bring this thread up again closer to next November and see how close I am

Now, seeing as ROTK is listed as 3 hours and 30 minutes, or is that 3 hours and 40 minutes, or 4 hours 10 minutes with those **$*&#^ commercials.....I would estimate at 30 - 40 minutes of added footage for the EE DVD. So....following in TTT EE footsteps, here is my estimated list......and please mark my words, I'd like to compare this list to the official confirmations that are made closer to the release next year. In no particular order.............

1) Gandalf and Pippen on Shadowfax meeting the Witchking (on the fell beast).....in which the Witchking breaks Gandalf's white staff......then the horns of Rohan blow and Mr. Angmar rides off to meet Mr. Son of Thengel leaving Gandalf with an incredulous look on his face.

2) Eomer stricken with grief on the Pelennor Fields.....I would assume this would be over his uncle and not his sister as in the book, as Eowyn looks quite lively after stabbing the Witchking quite nicely in the face (note, possibly Gamling dies as well).

3) Faramir and Eowyn sharing a touching/romantic moment before or after the wedding (more than the quick glimpse we are given in the theatre), which Peter Jackson will probably throw in as a testement to the book and the houses of healing.

4) Elrond saying to Arwen "You have given up, your life's grace cannot protect you now"....before he rides off to meet Aragorn at the Rohan camp.

5) Sam passing the two watchers at Cirith Ungol. You can see them in the movie, before and after Sam has passed....and clearly the middle portion of that trek has been cut, this will be there folks

6) Gun Buri Khan!!! and the men of the wood........there was an actor cast, and I think Peter will bring the book's storyline into play on this one in getting the Rohirrim to Minis Tirith.

7) Denethor either having a flashback to looking in the palantir or glancing in it before he meets Gandalf. Not sure on this one, but by the lines he gives Gandalf in the movie (seeing Mordor's army, Aragorn riding towards Gondor) I think this is a definite possibility.

8) OF COURSE Saruman's death on the spiked wheel or merely pushed off Orthanc by Wormtounge (or throat slashed)....he dies one way or another

9) Gandalf talking or calling to Gwaihir to get picked up and flys off to grab Frodo and Sam (I think this is an obvious cut in the movie.....in the fadeout before the 3 eagles appear over mount doom).

10) Mouth of Sauron.....in which Aragorn cuts his head off with Anduril. If you'll notice, Aragorn has blood on his sword right before he says "For Frodo", but that could be from the Pelennor Fields too. This is also an obvious cut in the movie....except instead of appearing first out of the gates as in the book, it is possible MOS will appear after the Captains of the West have been surrounded. Or a new sequence could have been filmed (I think this is the case) in which the MOS comes out of the gates first (true to the book) instead of the marching orcs as in the theatrical version. The MOS will apparently deliver Frodo's article of clothing (mitril coat) and Legolas/Gimli/Aragorn/Merry/Pippin think he is dead.

11) Cirdan being introduced or talking at the Grey Havens....you can see him just off to the right when Galadriel and Celeborn are looking towards the camera at the Hobbits.

12) Merry pledging loyalty to King Theoden on the steps of the Golden Hall (filmed, seen in TTT preview).

13) The taking of the Corsair ships by Aragorn and the Army of the Dead.....It would be nice if they could incorporate the scene Peter Jackson himself said was filmed, in which he fights Legolas.

14) Sam travelling through the tunnel of Shelob while she is wrapping Frodo up and finding Sting in the web.

15) King Elessar walking up to the throne with Anduril in his hand (filmed, seen in TTT preview).

16) Additional scenes involving Arwen and Aragorn in the future (possibly during a talk between Arwen and Elrond, more so than the theatrical version showed with Arwen's son.

17) Easterlings (as shown in extended dvd script thread)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  7. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Though this is just a rumour, I hear that the extended DVD is over four hours and fifty minutes long.

8. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    And thanks to duct tape Gandalf fixes his staff in time for The Grey Havens.

But I thought of another thing. What about Gorbag grabbing the mithril shirt and running away with it? It was in the game.

9. DohHunter

DohHunter Community Defender

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, he has spares, he's a wizard :)

True on that last point, and the MOS gets the mithril shirt to show to Aragorn in the EE, so I would gather the game is pretty accurate on that part.

10. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    there is also an actor cast as the Mouth of Sauron so I'm sure it will be in there...

11. redxavier

redxavier New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's Shagrat that runs off with the mithril shirt ;)

Bruce Spence (mad heli pilot from Mad Max 2) was cast in the role of the MoS... it's kind of difficult to gage how it will all look (helmet and all) but I'm sure it will be better than the video game incarnation.

12. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Sorry. We elves can't tell one orc from another.

13. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The actor was the same actor in the matrix 2 and 3. he played the train guy. and i think that he is also the bi lobowksi

-dt

14. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Gorbag is the ugly green orc who takes the shirt first, while Shagrat is the blue Uruk who starts the fight at Cirith Ungol. Just remember, Gorbag gets the sharp end of Sting, and they left out the fate of Shagrat in the theatrical release, so they may show him running off into the midst of Gorgoroth in the EE and the Nazgul coming to check out the scenery at Cirith Ungol, in the EE :D.

15. kcaj

kcaj New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    More scenes to be added that at least WERE filmed.

Gandalf & Aragorn finding the Seedling of the white tree - filmed
    The wedding of Arwen and Aragorn - filmed
    Theoden's Funeral - filmed
    Eomer's crowning - filmed
    Faramir & Eowyn's love story in the HOH and there wedding. both filmed
    Denethor's Funeral. -unconfirmed if this was filmed

Legolas & Gimli exploring the caves of Helm's Deep & The woods of Fangorn.

Outro by Galadriel explaining what happens to the fellowship and the others involved after the Fourth age begins - Filmed and dialouge recorded, per Cate Blanchett. Not sure if PJ Will use it though as it would be an add on after the Grey Havens and before Sam goes home.

Alternate endings of the ring - Gollum falling in, Frodo Pushing him in, and different dialouge. All shot not sure if they will be included in the EE extras disc.

denethor w/ the palantir

Aragorm w/ Palantir
    Aragorn claiming hte throne of Gondor (PRe march to the Black Gate)

PJ said a while ago before ROTK was released that he compared the end to "Four weddings and a funeral", as pertains to the characters. So it WAS filmed, and he loved it at the time. WE only got to see a portion of Sam's wedding in the theatrical release and that's only one wedding. (not there will actually be 4, maybe three) Let's hope they all go in.

PS Did anyone else notice but me, where the hell does aragorn get his Kingly suit so damn fast from? I always hated that part of the movei, no explanation, or even showing of it as a the kings clothes. He just appears in them?

As we all know PJ filmed like 2 more hours of footage of ROTK. I'm sure it won't all be used as was the case with TT and FOTR. we shall see what he adds. I wish he would just make a disc of EVERTHING that wasn't used, and include it for the fans.

16. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this info. :)

Is it from theonering.net?

17. kcaj

kcaj New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No. I have a friend who is from New Zealand, and who was doing work on some of the editing over at Weta. Those were the details he gave me.

18. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've read and heard a many times... that the movie is extended well into 4 hours and maybe even close into 5...

All I know... is that ive got my popcorn and my nice seat to watch it in... WHO knoes... maybe I will have my basement finished before this =)

19. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've read somewhere, though I can't find out now, that PJ said that he'd love to do more with the LOTR movies somewhere down the road. BUT he didn't mean as in an extended-extended edition of the movies, but rather that he'd do more of the extra stuff to be put onto the discs. And he didn't mean DVDs, he said that he'd do more with the movies in the future when a new format comes out and replaces the DVDs, then he'd spend the time to put in more extras for the people buying the movies again, since because he had to make the rest of the epic he didn't have time to do much with FOTR and TTT's EE, and he had to go around doing promos and awards during the production of ROTK's EE, he'd want to do more when the opportunity arrives when the three movies come out in a new format.

20. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

that would be interesting. Though I doubt many people except the big fans would buy an even LONGER version of the films. :)