Exactly How do You Become a Darkfriend?

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by Nienor, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    How exactly does one become a Darkfriend? :confused:

I know that true Darkfriends take oaths at Shayol Ghul. But that seems like a finalization. How does a person get involved in the first place? It's obvious that Darkfriends keep their connections well hidden. Therefore you never know until it's too late. But it's not as if Trollocs send out raiding parties trying to recruit new Darkfriends. How does one intitially become allied with the Dark one? It's not as if you can approach someone on the street and ask them if they're interested in becoming bound to Balazamon.

I'm even more surprised that Aes Sedai can become Darkfriends. Noteably, some may come to the tower already being one, i.e. Liandrin. But many must be recruited during their time in the tower. It seems difficult as the Aes Sedai from the Black Ajah don't even seem to know one another. They can't have been turned through another Aes Sedai. Does the local Dark Friend's Association have someone stationed outside of the Mistress of Novices Office? For novices who can't stand the tower's rules anymore?

2. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Ive often wondered about this myself. Perhaps people are approached, and forced. ie : "Take this oath or my pet Myrrdraal will rip you a new butt hole." Or something to that extent. It seems there are large amounts of Darkfriends everywhere, so they must have some sort of recruiting technique, maybe Ishamael just approached a few people, Compelled them and took them to Shayol Ghul were they took the oaths and cant do much about it.

3. The Hound

The Hound The Everlasting Scream

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My guess has always been some form of prayer to Shai'tan. From which this stems the whole bad luck of saying his name and drawing his attention thing. Then I think once you've sold yourself to the dark one he just directs you somehow to other darkfriends.

I used to think darkfriends could sense other darkfriends like channelers can sense other channelers but that theory wouldn't work at all.

4. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I like the prayer concept. Very possible I'd say.

5. The Hound

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another recruiting method would be preying on younger kids with low self esteem the way some these days pick up people for cults. You know what I'm talking about right? The whole "You don't feel like you belong anywhere, but we will be your family" type thing.

6. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I think we get an insight from Padan Fain's PoV in LoC (Chapt.28). He comments that he can spot Darkfriends, not just those who had sworn the oaths but anyone who had ever considered it. They were identified by a kind of sooty black mark on their foreheads.

This seems to be a gift given to him by the DO during his 'remaking'. It would make it ridiculously easy for a recruiter, just wander around until you see someone with the mark and they're yours. At the very least if they do refuse to swear you can denounce them so they won't denounce you.

What's more interesting about it is the possibility of someone on the Lightside managing to duplicate the ability. It'd make the cleansing of the Tower MUCH easier. Or if they could turn someone from the Dark.... Slayer occurs to me...

7. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    But only Fain has this ability as far as we know, so it still begs the question of how you become a Darkfriend, Tesken's idea was a good one though, i like it. Good work.

8. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    As far as we know. It would be ideal, if it is a gift from the DO, and would be fairly stupid of the Darkside not to make use of it. We've never had a PoV from a DF recruiter so we have no way of knowing but it would answer your question very neatly if it's true. Possible Question of the Week maybe?

9. The Hound

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the markings power makes it work easier, only certain choosen darkfriends would have the ability, and those who are meant to stay in the dark about things would remain there.

Technically though I don't think Fain is a friend to anyone anymore.

10. darkonesluck

darkonesluck New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I would imagine that many would get involved and not necessarily realize what exactly they are listneing too, then fall in love with the promises the dark one makes.

Also, I would think that it is similar to those people that get involved with terrorist organziations. Either it sounds good at first and then they are way to far over their heads, or they truly believe in the rationale behind the destruction and chaos of the people.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that in a time where the Dragon is not Reborn, it would be any different than someone in our world holding Satanic beliefs. However, now that the Dragon is Reborn, these people have assumed a more active role in the world.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I agree, there are probably little groups scattered around, bored nobles, downtrodden peasants etc. The REAL Darkfriends, the ones who knew what they were getting into, were probably kept tabs on by Ishamael in T'A'R. They would have been the ones active at the beginning of the series. Most of the others swore the oaths but never realised they would be kept to them or didn't care. They have been forced to obey, either by threats of exposure or just threats.

I think there may be a link with T'A'R in the finding. Maybe the oaths they take highlight their dreams, maybe Ishy could sense a DF's dreams the same way Padan Fain could see the mark on their foreheads, maybe he just watched peple's dreams.

13. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I like the prayer idea. Sort of like people selling your soul to the devil through a wish or prayer.. But I can't agree with the vast majority of darkfriends being able to sense or see it in another. Because those in the Black Ajah do not know who the others are. If there was some sort of marking, it would be obvious to them who the other members are.

A Darkfriend recruiter could target likely people and areas for potential darkfriends. ie Prisions, assassins guilds and the like. But some of the people who are involved seem so unlikely, such as merchants and servants. Seems unlikely somebody would approach them, not knowing their stance.

The other thing I find interesting, is the seeming number of darkfriends. I suppose in the real world there might be some dark religious activity, but since according to the Christians, the devil isn't going to win Armageddon, very few people would ascribe to that belief. But in WOT, there is a very organized widespread group. Do they actually believe the Dark One has a legitimate chance of winning, that he is the equal of the Creator?

14. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    In other ages the D.O. has beat the Dragon Reborn, though I doubt the commoner would know this. Of course, if I saw Trollocs and Myradraels (I can never spell that lol) in our world, I would start doubting the religious certainity of good winning (like others would, I presume).

15. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Fain certainly can see them but there's no way to know if that's a gift from the DO or something from Mordeth. It would make more sense if it's from the DO though, a gift given to high-ranking DFs when they're on an important mission so they can pick up help along the way. Or a recruiter. The only thing to suggest it's from Mordeth is the timing, if the DO gave it to him why didn't it show up earlier?

The same as Satanists in the real world. How many people have 'dabbled'? Ever done a Ouija board? How many Goths do you see around? How many people do you see on Springer/Rikki Lake etc. proclaiming themselves Grand High Whatchamacallit of Satan's Black Church? These are the kind of fools who swore the oaths to the DO but never thought they'd be held to them, probably never even believed he existed. When they were needed they were picked up. Look at the nobles Fain gathers, he even says how they never expected to be held to the oaths and tried to weasel out of them.

One more thing about the prayer. It would probably start off with "Oh great Sha****" (can't say his name now can we...). We know that saying his name draws his eye, probably for this very reason. Whenever someone begins the prayer, or any prayer to him, his eye is called and he can mark or note the individual and send someone to recruit them. It's probably why saying it causes bad luck, he's pissed that you're wasting his time and wants the airwaves kept clear...

16. AlgSpkr

AlgSpkr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First off darkfriends cannot name the Dark One, Lanfear said that it would be blasphamy when Rand taunted her for calling him the Great Lord of the Dark, only Ishy is allowed to say the name.
    As for how people become darkfriends, I believe that it maybe the prayer idea, or a careful sounding out, like with spies, which is how I generally think of darkfriends.
    Only the highest darkfriends are called to SG, and it is concidered an honor, this is mentioned several times the first is in TEotW.
    As for Fain's ability, I believe that it is from Mordeth, we do not find out about it until he was in Camlyn reminising about his new abilities that were surfacing and growing. And he did not seem to recognize Alvarain as one until she started behaving oddly.
    As for the dabblers there is a quote, though I do not remember who it is from or where it is, though I believe that it is from a forsaken, about needing to remind people that they would be held to their oaths.