Evolution: Right or Wrong

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by havelockploz, May 21, 2004.

1. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    You'd also think that for faith to be worth anything it'd have to be, you know, faith, not the default. Somebody who doesn't know that the government is giving a portion of their taxes to charity is not being charitable, and somebody who has been fiercely guarded against any explanation for things other than the one their guardians prefer isn't displaying faith.

Also, your algebra analogy is awesome.

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Welll... as to School matters, doing religion without the Genesis is no point either, is it?

As to the matter of tax- and tax reliefs for religious institutions; I don't care so much. If there's a central or local non-profit institution, which provides for religious needs and services then I would say it's money well spent, even though I would never use these. I know there's an inherent tendancy of people to be religious - and if there's a feeble amount of my tax money going to these needs, then I won't be jealous about it.

3. Fiel

Fiel Guardian of Time

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Evolution is pokemon! :banana:

Sorry there. I believe there is evolution, and you don't need to be an atheist to believe one. It depends on your definition of the subject. I disagree that human evolve from apes :eek:, but the humans/animals sure evolved, like the theory that whales originally from land, but then there is need to go sea, particularly because of food supply, weather or to support it's massive build?

Well, people evolve too. The definition I hold for evolution is the gradual change made to adjust, or survive to any given situation, or even made consciously by the living to achieve their definite objective. :halo:

4. Pan.Durr

Pan.Durr AKA Keanu

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Umm...isn't the evolution theory about how humans evolved from apes?? Coz if it is, you don't make sense. You can't believe in the evolution theory without believing that human came from apes.

5. Fiel

Fiel Guardian of Time

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Oh reaally? I bet to differ anyway. I'm referring to Theistic evolution, or evolutionary creationism.
    I believe Darwin's theory about human descending from Apes is not true. It does not represent the term evolution. It's not the whole d**n thing.
    But correct me if I'm wrong anyway, then I can tell my whole nation that our biology lesson is in need of serious review. :eek:

Anyway the thread said Evolution: Right or Wrong. There are many researchers, theories & view out there.
    Does it actually said Darwin's theory of human descending from apes? My bad then.
    But why would people said one very general thing, yet actually referring to one specific theory? Heh.

Sorry if I sound arrogant. My element is Fire. Good day, gentlemen.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  6. Pan.Durr

Pan.Durr AKA Keanu

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Be careful about who you're calling a gentleman. I'm a chick!
    And yes, you do sound arrogant =)

7. Fiel

Fiel Guardian of Time

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Really? Double sorry for you, then. =)

Anyway, it's gentleMEN.

8. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Threadkiller

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    It's gentleMEN if you are referring to more than one person.

Pan.Durr is referring only to herself, one person, so she is using GentleMAN in the correct sense. :)

9. Fiel

Fiel Guardian of Time

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Nothing to argue about, actually. :) I was addressing everyone.
    Let's not divert from the topic, shall we?

10. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Interesting...

What is your objection to that part?

Technically, there's nothing wrong with actually reading On the origin of Species, much like there isn't anything to say against reading the Bible. Or any other book for that matter. Give it a try :)

Well, the evolution theory is pretty simple; it states that, through natural and reproductive selection, species evolve - and have evolved. And if you wind the clock back far enough, we all descend from one-cellular creatures.

Well, as to that, I am all for having more women here :)

11. Fiel

Fiel Guardian of Time

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    He depicted that human originated from animal. But then that would denied our origin from Adam and Eve. That itself is blasphemy, yeah. :nono:
    But then I wonder if there were people cursed to degenerate into apes then evolved back into human... nah, insane idea, isn't it? :alien:

Same here. Good day, ladies. ;)

12. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well, I can see dejection from that point of view. But, for the sake of fairness, it shouldn't stop anyone from looking into the matter.

I mean, for whatever science is worth, scientists have been working on this theory for a century or so. And, by now, they're pretty convinced. By far the most research they put into it support this theory. They might be on to something, no?

13. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Threadkiller

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I realise that you were addressing everyone. :) You were erroneously correcting Pan.Durr for using the singular MAN whilst referring to HERSELF when pointing out that by addressing everyone in the debate as gentleMEN you were making the incorrect assumption that all participants were male.

I was no more diverting from the topic than you were. :)

14. Fiel

Fiel Guardian of Time

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Maybe... Yeah, why not? Wait, err... Hopefully. They should focus more in the sea, that's where all the mysteries hidden... well, most... many!

Meh. English language does separate the gender much, eh?
    I'll take that into account. Don't misunderstand me, I love women, well, naturally.
    By the way, I don't mind diverting. Usually in any forum the mods would.

By the way, why is it that I always knew these kind of small talk will happen? Nah, just my feeling.

Good day, ladies and gentlemen. :p

15. Pan.Durr

Pan.Durr AKA Keanu

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    There's a reason strongly Christian schools don't teach their students about evolution. It contradicts creationism. You can't have it both ways. Have you seen some of the things that people have accused Charles Darwin of being? Definitely blasphemous...

16. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hmm... Any particular part in mind? The sea is big, y'know....

To be honest, science doesn't strictly need the seas. Based on fossils, which show a clear evolution from what we would call apes now to humanoids, finally flowing into humans, the theory is supported. Independantly, DNA analysis shows that the DNA of close relatives like the Chimpanzee is remarably similar (around 98%). Even more distant relatives like the mouse show a remarkable similarity around some 93%. We can trace evolution back on these comparisons. Yeasts have may genes in common with humans, be it in different variations.

Now, this all wouldn't be a problem. After all, God could have created a world like this, and designed the variation in DNA and the hominid fossils and all that. But, remarkably, this all isn't mentioned in the Bible (as far as I am aware), which means this theory isn't very favourable. It takes a lot of assumptions and uncertainties to arrive at the point were science is now.

So what makes you conclude that science is wrong?

17. Fiel

Fiel Guardian of Time

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Mystery of the sea is just one of my interest. And sorry for the late reply, was busy with the recent earthquakes. :saurumon:

Me? Never said so Tur (if you're referring to others, don't mind me answering, ok?).
    Science is discovery, and Evolution is just a part of it, and note that Darwin is just one of those names. Evolution was depicted by Darwin that way when he get this great idea that we originate from apes, and for some reason some people popularize it, :eek: and it ruined the term evolution itself. Geez...

Ah well... There's always room for argument here, I guess. :argue:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  18. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I am a supporter of Evolution. Even that man evolved from ape-like creatures. There is too much evidence to support it, and none to support God creating two humans to populate the entire earth. Incest anyone?

We are still evolving to this day and will continue to evolve.
    Creationist theory is too full of holes and little if anything is based on actual evidence that hasn't been twisted by a religious bias.