Evgeniy Rodionov

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Foinikas, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry I feel a bit emotional now and I wanted to post this.I felt like I should.I wanted to post this.

This is about something that is a bit rare in ours days.It's about courage and faith.

It's about a Russian soldier called Evgeniy Rodionov:

"Eighteen-year-old Evgeny Rodionov was taken captive with three other soldiers at night of February 14th, not far from the Chechen settlement of Galashki. The guys arrived from the Kaliningrad region. They patrolled the border between the republics of Chechnya and Ingushetia. Their control and registration post was located some 200 meters far from the security detachment. The post was just a small cabin, without any light or wire communication. The cabin did not even have a military support, in spite of the fact that it was a single cabin on the mountainous road, which was used for carrying weapons, ammunition, captives, drugs and so on. The border guards stopped an ambulance vehicle to check it. More than ten armed Chechens got out of the vehicle. Needless to mention that it was very easy for them to cope with young inexperienced soldiers. The guys showed as much resistance as they could, but the outcome of the fight was evident before it even started."

The Chechens kept him as a prisoner for 3 months and then they gave him and his friends a choice to either convert to Islam or die.The other 2 accepted,but Evgeniy refused to convert to Islam and throw away his cross.

"Evgeny Rodionov was murdered by Ruslan Khaikhoroyev. This bandit confessed that himself. “Your son had a choice to stay alive. He could convert to Islam, but he did not agree to take his cross off. He also tried to escape once,” said Khaikhoroyev."

His mother had to pay a lot of money to the Chechens to show her the location of his body.

In Russia he is considered a martyr and by some a Saint.The Church cannot canonize him as a Saint yet.

The writings on Evgeny’s grave cross run: “Russian soldier Evgeny Rodionov is buried here. He defended his Fatherland and did not disavow Christ. He was executed on May 23, 1996, on the outskirts of Bamut.”

“We know that he had to go through horrible, long-lasting sufferings that could be compared to the ones of great martyrs in ancient times. They were beheaded, dismembered, but they remained devoted to Jesus Christ anyway,” priest Alexander Shargunov said during the requiem in Evgeny Rodionov’s memory.

This is a small 10 minute video from a documentary about him.It's in Russian but I think it's easy for someone to understand a lot from this video.Whoever wants,can watch it.For me it's worth watching it.

Edit: The video contains a hard scene although I think most guys here can watch it,but anyway I warned you.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    I can never understand that kind of Muslim mentality, the convert or die thoughts. It just seems so alien and wrong to me.

3. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Prob is this is one of the true faces of Islam extremism. Indonesia has seen that kind of shit before. :S

4. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Christianity was no stranger to that mentality in the past. What is sad is that it persists today. Some people will always refuse to evolve.

5. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Indonesia has had problems with muslim rebels or terrorists too right?

6. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, the Christians were worse back in the crusades. They didn't even offer a chance for conversion, they just slaughtered Muslims, innocent or not.

Other than the Spanish inquisition they've been pretty good since then.

7. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it's a pain in the ass kind of problem. Still remember the Bali bombings? :S

Crusaders are screwed up. Me and Met has once briefly spoken on the subject and we reached the consensus that both the Muslims and Crusaders sux. :draught:

8. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I also agree that Crusaders sucked.There were of course many true Crusaders,romantic idealists or really religious people most of them were just typical medieval western warriors or fanatics.Although to tell you the truth the First Crusade DID actually help my ancestors yes i have to admit that,but it caused a whole lot of problems to the entire area for the next 2-3 centuries.And let's not forget that the Fourth Crusade....actually destroyed the Byzantine Empire(or at least a huge part of it).

Yeah I remember the bombings at Bali.And I thought there was some kind of a small civil war between the authorities and muslim rebels in Indonesia although I might be mistaken because I don't know what's going on in that part of the world.Can you tell us more azuren?

9. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, from what I've known, the 4th Crusades killed off any sense of morals within the Crusader bastards.

And on the civil war issue, I believe you're talking about Aceh. Not too sure abt what has gone on and what is now taking place tho. You might want to go Wiki there. It may not be 100% accurate, but imo it's at least 90+% there. :)

And yeah, who can forget the horrendous acts that the ethnic Indonesians did to the Chinese during the post-Suharto anarchy. Makes one question how low can someone go in terms of morals once given a sudden free reign on the law. :S

10. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    It takes a lot for a man to stand up to that much aggression and defend his faith that strongly. I have a ot of respect for him. Even more so that so many of the Orthodox church are not very committed.

11. Andres2008

Andres2008 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst. ~Henry Fosdick
    Ruslan Khaikhoroyev was a man with no honour
    His act has been repudiated throughout the world

He was executed by Spetnaz some time later. He deserved that if we think in his despicable act

12. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    From what I read him and his band died in a fight with another Chechen rebel band.They died from their own "compatriots".

13. padraigmarron

padraigmarron Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you'll always stand up for your religionn when its being opressed not that id suport r condone bombings