Euthanasia / Assisted Suicide

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Turambar, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Window Bar

Window Bar "We Read for Light"

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I couldn't agree more. My father currently suffers from vascular dementia, which manifests in much the same fashion as Alzheimer's, and there is no way out. Often he tells me or my brothers that he wishes to commit suicide, but there is no legal and honorable means by which a person can help him. Sadly, those who drift into dementia are often way too far gone before they understand what is at stake: the rest of their lives (sometimes many years) in a helpless, joyless dependent situation.

But religion tells us that we simply "offer it up to God." Yeah, right.

--WB

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    A living will should take care of that, if your country has provisions for them:
    http://www.seniors.gov.au/internet/seniors/publishing.nsf/Content/Making+a+living+will

3. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Without laws allowing terminally ill people to take their own life in a manner of their own choosing, this sort of thing is more and more likely to keep happening.

I can only hope that this couple somehow left a message for their family and loved ones. If I were to do something like this with ym wife, I'd write a goodbye letter or record a video message so people weren't left with any lingering questions.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Aye but the thing is its not the sort of thing most people plan for. Heck these days many people don't even plan for pensions (ok the fact that the pensions system is messed up and there is no job security doesn't help). As said above most people don't notice things like Alzhimers develop - you can easily backtrack and see where you think it started, but at the time you can't tell and (often) nor can the person.
    Once you're all in a situation where it is recognised most times the person in question is too far gone to be able to make any binding legal documents.

Some provision needs to be in place as a protection for these people

5. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    This strikes me as a very good way to go about it, and allay the fears of the hysterical "Soylent Green is people!!!" crowd.

Search tags for this page

real footage of assisted suicides