Eragon.

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Mera'din, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Carthius

Carthius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can't belive they even tried to do that. Makes no sense. I'm glad they have a fresh cast in Eragon

2. Warlock Lord

Warlock Lord I am a Fashion Statement

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    i had heard of eragon ages ago...but i didnt seem to intrest me...

now that ive heard of the film, and seen the trailor, im off to buy the book tommarow.

i just want to ask people who have read the books to give me the sequence of them, as i have heard it is a series...

and the author, i dont even know his name...

3. elvishgirllove

elvishgirllove LOTR freak

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Worst book ever.
    SPOILER
    Way to many cliches for me. The boy (who's name Paolini either can't spell or thought he was being really creative) find a stone in the mysterious mountians which ends up bing a dragon egg (didn't see that one coming). Befriends and old man who is also a wizard (didn't see that one either), boy is raised by his uncle not knowing who his father really is (didn't see that one), boy goes on a quest to stop evil king (duh), wizard dies (didn't see.. oh nevermind), boy befriends another boy looking to stop the evil king, turns out boys are brothers and evil king is thier father, boy has a colored sword, befriends elves (which think they are better then everyone else), befriends dwarves (which live in mines), big battle, ugly bad guys, ok I'm tired of typing... There will always be some cliches it's the way of the world, but there does not need to be this many.

I firmly beleive the only reason these books were published is because of his folks. I was thinking I would let it all slide because he was what 16 when he wrote the first book but my son is 14 and knows better then to write rubbish, so I feel Paolini has no excuse.

The books do have a few funny good things, I do like Eragons cousin Ronan, he's cool and of course Saphira, can't go wrong with a dragon. I'll see the movie even though just looking at the picture I know it will not be at all true to the book, but I LOVE dragons so I must see it. Now whether I see it in the theater, rent, it or wait til it comes on tv, I don't know yet.

4. Carthius

Carthius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Eragon - Eldest - Empire is the series. Empire isn't out until next summer though.

For me Eragon is dragon with an e in a d. So I think he has spelt it correctly. It was initially published by his parents but was picked up by big name - so it must have some merit.

5. SoulCatcher

SoulCatcher New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    do any of you's know of many changes that will be made to the movie compared to the book, i mean i have read the book an that but would be a shame if they ended up trying to take the first bit of book two an puttin it on the end of the film, after all the way the book ends at the battle would be quite strong for a movie cos most movies seem to end at the point of sum1 overcoming a great evil or sumthin like that

6. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    apperantly the movie is nothing compared to the books... i read that in the movie section on this forum... take a look...

7. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I think the book is a hardcore cliche...

8. Allessandra

Allessandra Rock on!

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think its funny how the book took off so well when the author never thought it would even get published

9. whitetrash

whitetrash Trailerpark Pimp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well I,m glad for this book because it does and did getting many young people into reading even my 9 year son asked for the book for Christmas and that is truely great news

10. Roland

Roland Go Horse's Go

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I agree with you there, the only thing that I don't like is that it encourages the use of cliche's to would-be-authors to a large degree. I personally wouldn't want another flood of books copying fantasy cliche's .

Many people may see it as: Why bother coming up with original ideas when you can 'borrow' someone elses and still be a sucess,without the hard work?

11. Warlock Lord

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    i finaly saw the film... i am truly disappointed, its nothing compared to the books...

the books arent my favourite, but the film... god its crap!

i just hope they dont make the other two books into films...

the fantasy film industry... if there is one... has just made its crappest movie...

dont go and see it people... because its truly a waste of money... and time...

12. Betrayed

Betrayed Winged.angel

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its way too rushed. I thought the book wasn't the best but compared to the movie the book was a masterpiece.

13. Merlinsbeard81

Merlinsbeard81 Living in Calaspia

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Actually, it was only published because the step-son of an author read it, thought it was the best thing that ever happened to this world and told his step-father so. He then told his publisher to have a look at it, and that's how things got rolling.

14. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    i thought the book was excellent. very exciting and just fun to read, even though the storyline is taken almost right out os Star Wars. the movie on the other hand, had to be one of the worst things ever. Ive noticed the people who liked the movie havent read the book, and vice versa. the movie almost had nothing to do with the storyline of the book. For instance, the Razaac(or however the hell you spell it) die. thats NOT supposed to happen. And Brom was killed by Durza, which also messes things up.

15. Merlinsbeard81

Merlinsbeard81 Living in Calaspia

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In terms of the story, though, it doens't really matter who kills Brom; the main thing that counts is that the "Mentor figure" is killed off. And if the Razzac die too early, then it would be a waste the emotional "revenge" Eragon has if they were the ones to kill Brom..

Meh, either way the book's not good. not only the story.

16. .:solinari:.

.:solinari:. New Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I thought that the books have been really good reads. Considering the author is so young, I feel his style and story are well written and entertaining. I'm excited to read the last installment in the series. To agree with most everyone else, the movie was total crap. I had looked forward to it for over a year not only because I liked the book so much, but because I have a crush on the actor who plays Murtagh. When he was only in the movie for three minutes I was thoroughly disappointed. He was one of the key characters in the first book and they barely introduced his character in the movie. Bleh...frustrating.

17. Lady Galeth

Lady Galeth Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    i know what u mean.the movie could have been so much better.and i also have issues with the serious lack of Murtagh in it!hes my fave character.

18. SenDaye

SenDaye Sen Daye

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I TOTALLY agree... I love the books, i've preordered the last one but the movie sucked a LOT.:yak:

19. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    The cover to the last one looks REALLY cool.

i'm pretty darn excited, but i've forgotten alot that happened in the books :(

20. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    ^ It's called re-reading Kakashi....

:D