Eragon.

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Mera'din, Nov 27, 2003.

1. imrhien

imrhien The Lady of the Sorrows

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Re: Eragon

Why is there no Robin Hobb thread? Being somewhat new I don't realy want to start a thread. I'm a bit shy

2. Arien

Arien New Member

I live in an Elven city, Name'. It's quite Beautif
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I can't wait till the movie hits theatres this july!! it'll be awsome to see it on the big screen.

3. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

Yeah, it'll probably be like The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Better than the book.

4. Enchantment of Rose

Enchantment of Rose Mother of the Wood

USA (i heart u) If I told you more I'd have to kil
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I thought this book sucked. Read The Song of Albion, and you'll never convert back to devil spawn books again.

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I've merged 3 threads into one. Please use the Search feature to look for existing threads before starting new ones. Thanks.

6. Apollion

Apollion King Arthur Geek

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I read Eragon in 7th grade I think. It was an okay book. I don't remember too much about it though since I've only read it once. I would give Eragon a 3 out of 5.

I read Eldest soon after that. Errr...I didn't like it. I would give it a 2 out of 5, simply because the book was way too long. In fact half the book was Eragon training, or Roran trying to reach the Varden(?) and it was just exhausting. So boring I had to stop reading it for a few months, then I finally had the guts to finish it. The ending sucked, knowing that Eragon had a real brother. Reminded me and a bajillion other people of the Star Wars movies. And then there was Eragon falling in love with Arya. Paolini didn't do a good job of expressing "true" love. All together, I think this is Paolini's most poor series. Then again, it's his first and only trilogy. I'll be reading the third book(isn't it called Inheritance?), simply because I don't like not finishing a series or trilogy.

7. Yehir

Yehir Wise Fool

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I've just ordered it. I've heard from many people that it's a pretty good book. Well, at least no-one said it's bad so I think it won't be bad to read it. I may prove them wrong if nothing else... :) And get to know what you're all talking about :)

8. shadowlady

shadowlady New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I enjoyed the series so far, mostly because I find Sapphira such an awesome character. She definitely has personality. At times I thought Eragon was a little childish but he is growing. Has anyone read Inheritance yet?

9. Thrawn Von Sithius

Thrawn Von Sithius No longer a Newt

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Personally I thought Eragon was a great book, however I did like Eldest better. I do agree with some others in this thread saying that they weren't all that originall, but still they made it on the books I like list.

10. Omega3R

Omega3R Mi ne sijemo.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    eragon is an all-right book... but i would lie to say i liked it very much.
    it's childish and it is obvious that a child had written it.
    i hated the fact that paolini has copied many names, like farthen-dur or arya. i hated it. and the very concept of dragons and elves and dwarfs... it all resembles too much great authors, authors much greater than him. than he'll ever be.

eldest is a bit more mature, but still a mediocre novel.

11. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Sure they're mediocre, but still pretty impressive for a teenager.I think Paolini definately has talent, but it's obvious that he's still finding his voice. And although his books are anything but original, I think it was a smart way to start his career, during the Tolkien frenzy, and everything. People were really looking for Tolkienish books, and so his got really popular.
    I wasn't incredibly fond of the first book, but it had its moments. Eldest was a great improvement, although Eragon still has the personality and intellegence of a piece of cardboard. I love Saphira, on the other hand. She really feels like a living, breathing character to me.

12. Merlinsbeard81

Merlinsbeard81 Living in Calaspia

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Pretty much what I wanted to say :)

Although add to that that Eldest was severely dissapointing. Better to just watch Star Wars episode 5. It's the same plot as Star Wars anyway. Well, it's the stereotypical Hero's Journey story, isn't it? Only with some poor characters, far-from-brilliant writing style, lack of original ideas / copying old/overused ideas and not much else.
    In my experience, the main people who claim that it is 'their favourite book' haven't actually read much anyway. When you ask them about fantasy, they can't even give you 5 fantasy authors. It's their favourite fantasy series simply because they haven't read any others!
    Not that this is always the case. I'm sure this isn't applicable to everyone here, either. And it is impressive that he got it published when he was 18 (even though it was self-published through his family, which anyone would look down on, but still). He did get picked up by Random House after that, which is a huge thing. To get picked up by a publishing giant like that! And I think that his style is improving. I think he's said that he'll carry on writing, so I'm interested in what else he can do.

Boadicea: he started writing it about 7/8 years ago. I think that was before the main Tolkien / high fantasy hype.

Re: Saphira, I hear that in the film she's done very well, and 'lives up to all expectations' or something. Looking forward to it. It's a good filmbook anyway. (then again, I thougth DaVinci code was a good filmbook, BUT. . . )

13. breds

breds New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I read both this past winter an enjoyed them. I agree there are many similarities to the SW's an WoT but, guess what?, I enjoyed them also:D. I am awaiting the third part but i do feel ill have to go back an reread some of eldest. Alzheimers is closing in *sigh*.

Thats pretty wild about the misprint of 3000 books....I think thats too funny. I wonder who lost their job on that faux pas? I suppose it gave me a chuckle due to one of my degrees.....Printing Production Management.

14. Carthius

Carthius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

HeHe, So finally the 15th December date is set.
    What do you think of the fact that apparantly the movie is going to be quite different from the book? Make it better or worse?

15. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    But didn't Random House pick him up during the Tokien hype? And yes, that is an actual question.

I guess I might go and see Eragon just for Saphira's sake, if they say she's good.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  16. Merlinsbeard81

Merlinsbeard81 Living in Calaspia

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it'll be one of those films that you've got to see, no matter what people say :D Even if it's "Just for Saphira's sake". I think it'll do well in terms of box office massings, though.

17. Carthius

Carthius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree about the Box Office hugeness - If only because it has a huge cast and the amazing cgi. People say there was Jeremy Irons in ungeons and Dragons but I reckon he'll pull it off. He's been sooooo good in other things.

I'm with you on Saphira - she looks amazing but what do you think of Galbatorix being in the film but you never see him in the book?

18. MondayFairchild

MondayFairchild New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the movie would be interesting to watch. I do hope it would be better than the book. It's just annoying to know that they TRIED to get Elijah Woods as Eragon, and Ian Mckellen as Brom (well, according to Wikipedia anyway). A few more characters and they might as well make another LOTR movie.

19. Kaiser Zohon

Kaiser Zohon Orbs Of Fury

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why make Eragon a blonde. How can you make him Murtagh's brother THEN?! I can't see how they'll follow up Eragon with Eldest in the film.

Rumour mill: I hear the third is gonna be called Empire. I see the E trend..

20. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I intend to see the movie, but from everything I've heard, the book isn't worth my time.