Episode 3 script outline ** MAJOR SPOILERS **

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Mububban, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Rex Cars

Rex Cars New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I sincerely hope that SW Episode III knocks us all on our ass with awesomeness.

2. Aragorn rocks

Aragorn rocks New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This link doesn't work

3. Wanderer00

Wanderer00 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    man they cut out three years of important stuff from ep3. like the assassin sent after Anakin, Anakin becoming a knight, three years of extremely awesome combat, the first freaking sweet fight scene with Genral Grievous, three years of extremely awesome combat, Anakin passing a thing that the Jedi Masters condier the to fit as the Hall of Mirrors, and oh ya did i mention THREE YEARS OF EXTREMELY AWESOME COMBAT.

4. defyitall

defyitall Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    they didn't cut them out. it's all in the Clone Wars animated series.

5. Herald to Gil-Galad

Herald to Gil-Galad Art House Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  6. SEVENWOLVES

SEVENWOLVES GET READY FOR PUNISHMENT

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    i cant wait to see, i cross my fingers that Lucas is gonna make three afterwards, cause i read somewehre that the plan was to shoot 9 movies in total!
    Did u know that?

7. defyitall

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    i think that's just an internet rumor. there's fake plot outlines around on the internet. but Lucas said that if he did more (which, currently, he doesn't want to) he'd actually have to sit down and come up with another storyline.

8. CanadianRCist

CanadianRCist Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah that is true

9. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Last interview i saw on TV with him, he stated categorically that he won't ever make another star wars series, as they take 10 years to make, and he wouldn't allow someone else to film scritps he'd written because he's still be involved 100% anyway.

10. defyitall

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    yeah, pretty much. at one point, in passing, he said he wouldn't mind taking a step back and just creating the story and letting others produce, direct, and write them. the internet jumped all over it. then spielberg mentioned he'd like to direct a star wars movie and the internet jumped on that. eventually the internet combined the two; stating that there was gonna be another trilogy and that spielberg would direct.

later on lucas squashed the rumor. i believe in the interview mububban mentioned.

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    The original idea was indeed to make 3 trilogies...first one would be about Anakin second one about Anakin and his children and the third one about Anakin's children. But George Lucas doesn't have the strength anymore to make the third trilogy and probably sees it as impossible since the cast has grown so old of the original trilogy. I don't think he would do it without the original cast. But a spin-off live action tv series is planned and an animated serie+ they are going to transform starwars in 3-D.

12. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    There will never be a third trilogy, Lucas doesnt want to do one and there is no need to. One major problem even if Lucas did want to do another one is the cast, not only cause they are much older like Anakin said but certain people like Harrison Ford would NEVER agree to doing another trilogy, he famously doesnt like Star Wars, or atleast starring in it, so I cant see that happening. The story of Star Wars is the story of Anakin Skywalker, when he does, his story dies with him. And the back story is of how an Empire is born and how it is defeated, that is all that you need to know about the Star Wars universe

13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Harrison almost hates Star Wars. He wanted his character actually to die! Two reasons I guess...at one point it seemed like a good idea to let a main character die. That is why they were thinking of getting Lando killed and they did film it, but testaudiences, mainly children didn't like it...they were too upset. And second...you can guess, Harrison didn't like to do Star Wars anymore...I think Ewan Mcgregor got the same effect during the filming of episode II...He began to hate the blue screen filming and didn't like the title. But he was happy to do ROTS.

14. defyitall

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ok, two things:

1. did Lucas ever actually say it was gonna be 3 trilogies? i'm pretty sure that is internet rubbish. rumors that have flown since 1983. i call "untrue" on that one, unless I can see some credible source not just internet stuff.

2. They never filmed Lando dying. I don't know where you heard that. During the writing of Jedi Kasdan pushed for a main character to die because he thought it would help the story be more dynamic. During the filming of Jedi Ford pushed for Solo to die because he thought it would help the character. But Lucas wouldn't hear of either. That's it. End of story.

15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    1)Before the making A New Hope he was actually planning 12 episodes!!! During the making of A New Hope he changed it into 9 episodes, but because the making of ANH made him so ill and stressed he cancelled that idea. That is also why ep V and ep VI had other directors altho he almost had to redirect half of ep V again cause of the changes Irven Keshner made. The fact that he called "Star Wars" episode IV it really bugged him tho so he always had in mind of making prequels...If he didn't name it episode IV, there would be no prequels. But later with money in his pocket and the digital technology first seen in Jurrasic Parc made him decide to do them.

2)Wrong! Harrison actually gives a good hint in the film that Lando will be killed! When they leave with the shuttle Han says "I just got a funny feeling I'll never see her (the millenium falcon) again". Cause they planned to let Lando die during the death star explosion. I read an article about it that they DID film it! But when they showed the death scene to an audience of children even with the end celebration happy ending they were too distracted by the fact that lando was killed.George Lucas even considered Luke to die or turn to the dark side and get killed. Leia would just take it over…that is why Leia is so sad when Luke leaves. She also has the feeling he won’t return. The most important thing for Lucas was for the boy to get the girl (Leia and Han) So any other main characters killed was considered and the only one they filmed was that of Lando. These are George Lucas own words in the annotated screenplays

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  16. defyitall

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    i know all about the ill effects on his health. he had a quasi-heart attack on the filming of Star Wars. I worked on "Empire of Dreams: Making of the Star Wars Trilogy." It's on the 4th disc of the DVD Trilogy collection. He did fight a lot with Irvin Kershner on the set of Empire because of Kershner's ideas that were contrary to his own. He ran out of money 3/4 of the way through filming, had his loan pulled, and had to ask Fox for more money. He never thought of redirecting anything.

I am going off of stuff I have seen Lucas say. Not stuff I've read or heard. He said he originally wanted Star Wars to be 1 big movie. It turned out to be too long, so he cut the 3 acts into 3 movies. But he couldn't do anymore unless the first one made money, so he had to make that one a complete story.

I'm sure he had prequels in mind when he called it Episode 4. But he has never said he wanted to do 9 episodes. Find me an interview from a reliable source that says otherwise and I'll shut up.

They never filmed Lando dying. There wasn't much filmed for Jedi that didn't make it into the film.

A New Hope was the only Star Wars movie that was shown to test audiences and that was only once at the North Point Theater in San Fransisco. They could never test the second 2 movies as it would leak all the info they fought so hard to keep secret.

I'm sorry but on that fact I know I am right.

17. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Alot of what you say is true, alot isnt. Lucas DID re-direct a great majority of Empire, but he didnt blab this to the world ofcourse. Just because he is not credited so much for it, doesnt mean he didnt do it. Lucas edited Jurassic Park for Spielberg while he was busy doing Shindler's List, he wasnt credited for it, but he did do it. And he was happy about it as editing is his passion.

Anakin is right about Lando being killed, the scenes were filmed, ofcourse no special effects and such were completed for it, just the dramatic dialogue and ending shots. Children, as he said, were too distracted by this. So it was left out. And this is ofcourse why that line " not going to see her again" etc is left in it. If you look at it, its just pointless nonesense but it was to create suspicion about Han. The audience would think that something was going to happen to him and would be watching him carefully, but the twist being that in a moment of triumph, Lando and the Falcon are destroyed. Would have been an interesting twist had Lucas kept his original idea about Lando. In early drafts of Empire, Lando was a Clone. And this is why Leia did not trust him, she immediately assumes he has connections with the Empire, which turns out to be kinda true. Leia's mistrust still remains in Empire, but not for the original reason. Lando was supposed to be an independent Clone and ended up being a good guy. So yeh it would have been interesting to see a Clone destroy the second death star and then die in the process.

You are right that they wanted to keep it a secret, but the test audience was children, thats all I know. Who those children were? Who knows. But it caused them great distress seeing Lando die. Lucas assumed that this would be overcomed with happiness during the mood of the end celebration, but the kids couldnt keep their mind off Lando, which is exactly right, I know I would have been the same also at a young age. So it was kept that Lando survives, but they left in that remaining line to the whole concept of Han and his paranoia about the Falcon.... Now a pointless line but it once served a purpose.

Now concerning the "9 episodes" issue, this is true also. Originally Lucas thought he would make 2 films, The Clone Wars and The Star Wars which turned out to be the prequels and the originals ofcourse. But then he realised that there was just far too much information to put into 2 films. Then it became 12 Episodes, these were slightly different though. Episodes I-III would have been the prequels and IV-XII would have all contained Vader. It would have been similar to what the original is now but in far more detail. Lucas then realised that it was far too much and it could be cut to 9 Episodes. Again, at first he thought Vader would be in it right until Episode IX. Then after making A New Hope and the stress it brought, he came to the idea of 6 episodes (Thinking to himself, yahoo only 2 more to make!!). It was after he made the originals that he simply toyed with the idea of having a trilogy set after the Return of the Jedi that was already made, that all.

And incase you are wondering where I got all this info from, its all gathered from Officially Lucasfilm licenced books. With quotes of Lucas himself. And the directors themselves etc. The best source of info is from The Annotated Screenplays... All official! I am very wary about internet rubbish too! Im very fussy about knowing whats right and whats wrong. I personally dont like reading things from the internet, well not beleiving them anyway. I prefer books... Official.

18. defyitall

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    is this what you were thinking of:

Asked which idea came first... Anakin or Luke, Lucas explained the genesis of the series, "There was originally to be one film, I wanted it to be Episode IV of a serial (maybe out of 12 or something) that you would never see the first or last episodes of. That's what happened in the '30s, you had trailers, and a short cartoon, and then a cliffhanger. That serial-style is what Star Wars is based on."

be cause you seem to be taking it out of context as far as the 12 episode thing is concerned.

that's from Star Wars.com

19. defyitall

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    "I started with Anakin Starkiller and his two kids, then I got to a draft that's kind of what we know now, but it was 200 pages. Then that became three films. I never thought I'd go back and do the original stories, regardless of what the press says or what's out there. But then the necessary film technology came along and I came to grips with being known forever as George 'Star Wars' Lucas."

Lucas touched upon a frequently asked question: what was the imagined storyline beyond Episode VI? "To be very honest with you, I never ever thought of anything that happened beyond Episode VI," Lucas said. "It's the Darth Vader story. It starts with him being a young boy and it ends with him dying. The other books and everything kind of go off on their path, but I never ever really considered ever taking that particular story further."

he seems to be contradicting what you are saying.

20. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    And why is this? The quote proves exactly what I said. That the episodes (even if it was 6, 9 or 12 episodes) were all about Anakin/ Vader. I never said that Lucas said he WANTED to do episodes after Return of the Jedi, not seriously, cause obviously Vader dies and so does his story. So it is pointless to make episodes after his death. I said Lucas "toyed" with the idea, which is exactly right! He joked that it would be funny to bring everyone back when they were older, it wasnt a serious thought. And that is why I think those who think there will be more episodes should give up that thought. It wont happen. And no I did not get the 12 episodes idea from starwars.com, didnt even know it was there to begin with. As I said I prefer to get everything from books, I find them more trustworthy.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005