Episode 1

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Beta, Jul 31, 2008.

1. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I emphatically agree. People really need to get it into their heads that CGI isn't some cheap cop-out when a director is feeling lazy. It's an extremely difficult FORM OF ART, and it deserves appreciation as such.

No crap the CG characters in the upcoming star wars look unrealistic. Not even upper end animated movies like Advent Children tried for a "realistic" approach, because if you wanted your film to look real, it would be easier to just film real actors. Most CG movies I've seen have utilized their own style of character models to tell their stories (for example, the characters in Monster House had rediculously enormous heads).

The next time someone is thinking about complaining about computer-animated graphics, they should spend a half hour with 3DS Max before taking the audacity to unleash their ignorance on the world.

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    exactly, they said they could go for a nail-on look for the characters. They can do it, but would it be original? I mean I wouldn't like the characters who have the face of the actors yet they have different voices. Would just seem strange and as stevenlink said why go for CGI then if you prefer such a look. What they are trying here is an artform that combines anime with 3D. If you were a filmmaker, would you go for a style that is already out there or try something new. I had my doubts when I saw the look of the style, but once I saw the trailers it looked great. The action is fantastic which even surpasses the action in the actual movies as quoted by the director. One way to find out...

3. Darkloch

Darkloch Love Sara

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    They look like doodles, very complicated doodles to make, yes I realize that, the person making them is extremley good at his job, I realize that too. But its an eyesore! And as for original? They've just taken the cartoon CW and made it 3D. Why not make it realistic (close enough) and pitch like...Aayla Secura or Quinlan Vos in the lead instead of Obi-wan having a beard like that of Zeus in Disney's Hercules.

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    By comparing I disagree. Yes there are some similarities, but to say they just took it and made it 3D. You just have to look like Anakin, seeing he doesn't have the huge chin anymore and long straight hairdo. His hairstyle is more similar to the movies. Why are there similarities? Because the other series is also based on Japanese anime just as this one and they admitted that some features are based on the previous animated series. Why the more childfriendly look that seems so childish to you? Because you grow up, Star Wars doesn't...

5. Darkloch

Darkloch Love Sara

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    That sentence almost made me sad...but sure it's true. But still, I'm not sold on the whole "its a difficult art form and they're trying new styles" argument. Schumacher(sp?) tried a new style with Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, and we all know how that turned out, right? If I were a filmmaker I'd give the long-time fans what they wanted, and to downstairs with the new generation. They'll like it because to them, it is new. To hell with the critics, its not for them I would make a movie. And I realize that from a money-making stand this is completly naive and unrealistic. But you can't deny it would be beautiful?

6. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    OMFG. You guys really need to get over yourselves or else take a long walk off a short pier. Isn't anyone else besides me weary enough of reality to be interested in something different? Didn't any of you guys grow up watching the 3D transformers on TV? 3D animation should give you something new and different, not just the same old crap. I personally can't wait to see the new clone wars because the design looks really cool.

I think too many people are caught in the unimaginative paradigm of PS3 realism, by which the observer feels more immersed the more closely the models resemble real life. Is there a shallower point of view than to take a world on its looks alone? That which we call childish simply is that which we have lazily lost the imagination to embrace.

That point of view is like looking at Van Gough's Starry Night (sorry about the mispell) and saying "it doesn't look very much like a starry night at all. There aren't really all those swirls in the sky. Honestly, why didn't he just imitate the actual image."

7. Darkloch

Darkloch Love Sara

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Ok, now we're taking the art part way to far.

8. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I firmly disagree.
    The purpose of art is to convey an idea or emotional context. This can be done easily through pure imitation, or more difficultly through artistic interpretation. Just as Van Gough saught to illustrate the night's sky is a dazzlingly unrealistic dance of colors, so too do the folks at ILM wish to tell a part of the Star Wars story in a totally new (to the series) artistic way.

Starry Night emphasizes the colors of the night's sky while neglecting the realistic limitations placed upon them in nature. The intent is to pull strongly on the emotional chords within us that react to colors in the sky.

My interpretation of the Clone Wars' artistic tone is that the characters all look smooth and (this may sound weird) stone-like. To me, they very much resemble statues come to life and invigorated with vibrant colors. Unlike the movies, in which we see Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting amidst sweat and torn clothing, we are given the image of those historic figures in the sort of idealized way that we portray people in statues. As statues of war heroes idealize who they were and what they stood for, while connecting us only vaguely to their actual image, so too does the artistic direction of the clone wars tell the story in a smooth and glorified perspective.

Of course, that interpretation could be way off, but that's what's great about art; it is open to several interpretations.

9. Darkloch

Darkloch Love Sara

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    But a touch of realism (such as sweat and torn clothing) makes it easier to identify with characters, even if the do happen to swing around a lightsabre and have giant lekku. That's important to the immersion I want to feel from movies. I want to feel like I'm standing beside Anakin after he slaughters the separatist leaders on Mustafar, feeling what he is feeling. I don't do that in a cartoonish skit, a micro series of it is amusing, a whole movie made that way is...well...I don't know.

10. Beta

Beta Gypsy King

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

it is still star wars but we were talking about Episode 1 not the new movie

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well Episode I was good. It might not be the best Star Wars movie, but it was good. A good leap in CGI, a nice beginning for the new trilogy, great story, great swordfighting. Nice spacebattle. That's all you need for a SW film...

12. Beta

Beta Gypsy King

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    meh I just liked Darth Maul.... the rest of the movie was "eh"

omg I hated that jar jar thing.... so annoying.....

13. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    ROFL

Weird Al! ftw! lol

14. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    People go a little OTT imo when it comes to Episode I, a lot have 'gone with the flow', people who said they really liked it when they first saw it, but who now say it's rubbish because they don't want to stand out from the crowd lol Episode I on it's own was better than the entire LOTRs trilogy, and that's saying something lol

15. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    That last bit sounds a bit exaggerated.

I wouldn't say I liked Episode 1, 2 or 3 very much but they weren't shit either. I just didn't like them in comparison to 4, 5 and 6.

16. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I know it's not everyone's opinion but it's mine, and I do mean it. I thought the direction was very good, I like Peter Jackson, but the story for me is just insanely boring, especially the second film, I have watched it countless times, trying to enjoy it but to no avail, oh well

17. Beta

Beta Gypsy King

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    yeah I'd say they where bad in comparison but I still say it was Darth Maul that made it good....

18. Björk

Björk Swedish Meatball!!!

Where my head is i suppose... Anyone who has seen
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    All this talk about Darth Maul. Sure he was awesome, but not the best. Ever heard of Jar Jar? Hes just wonderful. Genius

19. Darkloch

Darkloch Love Sara

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Now someone is just trying to pick a fight with millions of nerds.

20. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Well at least someone is not sticking with the flock lol I didn't adore Jar Jar but I didn't think he was as terrible as some people claim. Just stupid nerd boys who want to act all mature and can't handle something that's meant for kids. Sure you look MUCH more adult whining about a bloody fictional character lol :p