Entitlement Issues

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Liadan, May 15, 2009.

1. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I am glad he did so!
    Its good to see GRRM getting support from his fellows against the (and I don't think its to harsh a word) abuse that some fans have given him.

As I and many others have said before - take your time GRRM - we shall wait :)

3. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I laughed SO hard at that. Almost ruined my keyboard by spitting soda all over it!

But I respect what he's saying. I've been irritated by friends who get pissed off when ASoIaF is mentioned, ranting about how GRRM is slacking and needs to hurry up with the next book. Like Gaiman said, he's not working for them, so they need to shut it.

I hope he hurries it up, but I don't expect him to put his life on hold just to get us fans another installment of the series. I've got a life, so does he. I don't spent every waking hour of my life on school work, he shouldn't have to spend every hour of his on the book. People need to get over themselves. :)

4. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Neil Gaiman is both awesome and right :D.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    I have to say, as frustrating as it is to wait for ADwD it is, as was pointed out so well in the article, entirely down to Martin to write the book in his own time.

How may fans truly want the book to be rushed, just to please them, only for the quality to be lost and potentially the whole series ruined.

How much moaning would they do then.

When the book is ready, in Martins head so to speak, then i'm sure he will put pen to paper and create the next masterpiece in the series.

Until then it is in all fans best interests to give the guy a break, let him work his magic.

No true fan would abuse Martin. People who do so are just not fans, simply morons.

6. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    That last bit is unfair. Stupid people can like ASoIaF too. It's possible to be a fan AND a moron, therefore these abusive fans are still really fans.

But I agree with you, that they're morons. On the other hand, I see where they're coming from. GRRM is working on all sorts of side projects and giving no info about ADwD on his blog and such, so these morons can quite easily get it into their heads that he's blowing it off to work on other stuff.

I'm not saying you should stop hating the idiots, just understand them. :D

7. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    as someone on another forum pointed out - this is going to be the next rage in Tshirts for geeks! :)

8. Daenerys

Daenerys Blood of the Dragon

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hahahah, he is so right. I would so go for that t-shirt thing XD

9. Raff the Sweetling

Raff the Sweetling Threadkiller

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I never cared until he started pissing and moaning about it. I always thought he seemed like a pretty cool dude, accesible to the fans and all. Now, I think he is an ass. Great author, Ice and Fire is still my fav. series so far, but thats all the respect I have for him. If its one thing I lack, its sympathy. Poor poor George, how ever will he manage with expectations? No one else has those in life. I would rather wear a shirt that says George Martin whines like a bitch.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  10. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    rather a harsh line to take on a person who is only just writing a book and must already have his publisher on his back, but now has fans juding every movement he makes. Must be horrid if you go and spend a great weekend at a convention only to have fans mail you or (at convention) even demend why you were there and not writing - add that up to every other time you try to do something and it gives a very poor view of some fans and can grind a person down.
    As for moaning about it far as I know he only goes as far as to comment on his blog about it - not seen it in the news yet or anything ;)

11. Raff the Sweetling

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I hear what your saying overread. Most people share your view on the subject. I dont have any expectations for him to finish personally, but Like I said, I lack sympathy for people complaining. Especially if there making tons of money for writing, and traveling, and dont have shoulders broad enough to handle some expectations and bitchy fans. Boo-Hoo. I never had a problem with his "I know, I know, Im working on it" type blog posts, it was his one long drawn out rant that turned me off.

12. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    you lack sympathy for yourself? ;)

13. Raff the Sweetling

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    You make the bed you lie in. I dont complain about my situation in life. I dont feel sorry for myself and certainly do no expect anyone else to. I know everyone thinks their life is so much harder than other people, thats probably human nature, but when people moan about things like this, its hard to feel pity. In the real world people get fired for far less everday. I think I'll save my pity for someone who deserves it a little more than a rich author who has a small number of bitchy fans. If he doesnt like it, fine. Im sure most people wouldnt. Including myself. What I wouldnt do, is whine and complain like Im the victim of some unbearable disrespect to my greatness. I would have respected him more if he would have either said nothing, or said F-You Im not writing another word. Either of those shows takes some nuts, but to complain....ah....I guess its hard to describe how I hate pity parties. Anywho...I guess most people are intolerant of something, and whiners are my greatest hate. I say either get over it or do something about it, but dont complain about it.

14. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    It didn't really come off as whining/complaining to me. /shrug

15. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Eh, I saw it as his way of saying F you to the people whining at him to finish the book. But to each his own, personal interpretation and all that.