Enterprise may finish the journey

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by kartaron, Aug 23, 2004.

1. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Blalock ( the Vulcan science officer T'Pol on Star Trek Enterprise) welcomes the idea of famous guest stars such as William Shatner (James T. Kirk), in part because she believes this season will be Enterprise's final one. "Bring him on. Bring all of ’em on, I don’t care," she said. "Let’s just meld all the shows together. This is our last year, most likely."

http://www.trektoday.com/news/190804_01.shtml

2. Lady Swartt Sixclaw

Lady Swartt Sixclaw New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Darn! I liked Enterprise.

3. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I've never caught so much as a single episode.

4. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Contrary to most media reports, which in last week's season premiere reviews had dire things to say about the future of Star Trek, Enterprise is alive and well, according to a Chicago Tribune writer.

Maureen Ryan, one of few professional critics to praise "Storm Front, Part One" (story), wrote in the Tribune that Enterprise is "still alive and kicking", noting that while many prominent newspapers were writing about the show's likely cancellation, "'Enterprise' got good last season. Really good."

New executive producer Manny Coto told Ryan that he was tired of seeing articles reciting the same information about the potential fate of Star Trek, though he said he understood fan resistance to prequels as he felt some of the same resistance to the new Star Wars films after loving the original trilogy. On the other hand, Brannon Braga said that while he concedes the validity of some complaints about the execution, the concept of a prequel was and remains sound.

"We could have put [the series] further in the future...but then, what, are the spandex uniforms tighter?" asked Braga, who admitted that there does seem to be an impression that Star Trek has worn out its welcome. "We have a hard-core group of fans," he stated. "The question is, is that enough to keep a show on the air financially?"

Meanwhile, star Scott Bakula (Archer) protested that he believes the third season of Enterprise to be as good as any other Trek series or other shows on television. Bakula complained about the fans as well as the professional critics, saying he was particularly disgusted by the bashing of Braga and Rick Berman that he has seen on Star Trek online sites. ""Why are you spending energy and time on 'Enterprise'? Move on to other shows," the actor recommended to unhappy fans.

trekonline

5. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I think its alright, but it still has alot of the same flaws I find in most StarTreks, such as a GoodyGoody captain. Although I did love last season when Archer decided to raid that alien ship for supplies. I did like the first season, the sense of exploration. I haven't liked this overarching "temporal cold war" plot line though.

I wish StarTrek were on HBO, where is okay to portray flawed characters making incorrect decisions.

6. Kal-EL

Kal-EL New Supes costume sucks

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I like Enterprise, it has it's flaws but when you're trying to please such an enormous fan base you will always piss off some people.

I personally think Star Trek as a franchise needs to take a break. A few years with no series, no movies, no games, no nothing. Make people miss it and then start a new series with a brand new post-Voyager(50 years or more) timeline with no familiar characters.

7. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    As much as I love Star Trek, and like Enterprise, I do agree that for the most part there has been a creative drought with the entrenched management. They can only recycle the same ideas so many times.

When Enterprise premiered I was under the impression that they were going to spend more time on the developing technology that led to Kirk's time. I find it strange that within a couple years of leaving Earth for the first time that things that should be "brave new worlds" already seem old and passe.

There seems little sense of wonder any more, for a people that apparently are the "first humans" to venture out.

Perhaps a break would be good.

8. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I'm a little excited about Brent Spiner joining the cast in two weeks.

9. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    “I bump into people all the time who are fans of the show. I know Whoopi Goldberg wants to do the show, and they're trying to figure out a way to get her back on. A lot of people who've done Star Trek in the past would also love to come back and do something on Enterprise ,” says Bakula.

But to add more speculation to who else we might see on Enterprise Bakula adds that he would love to see Patrick Stewart, Jason Alexander and even Christian Slater make a guest appearance.

The possibility of having Whoopi reprise the her role of Guinin on Enterprise seems plausible since the only thing she has been doing lately has been minor roles in a few future films. Is she still on Hollywood Squares?

iesb.net

10. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Its official:

UPN and Paramount Network Television have jointly announced that this will be the final season of Star Trek: Enterprise on UPN. [Production will continue until the end of this season, which will finish shooting in March.] The series finale will air on Friday, May 13, 2005 .

" Star Trek has been an important part of UPN's history, and Enterprise has carried on the tradition of its predecessors with great distinction," said Dawn Ostroff, President, Entertainment, UPN. "We'd like to thank Rick Berman , Brannon Braga and an incredibly talented cast for creating an engaging, new dimension to the Star Trek universe on UPN, and we look forward to working with them, and our partners at Paramount Network Television, on a send-off that salutes its contributions to The Network and satisfies its loyal viewers."

IESB.net

I have read reports of people offering to contribute to raise enough money to pay for the production costs but I havent seen any links to sites coordinating this. Trektoday.com has some interviews with cast and crew.

11. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    "TrekUnited.com today announced that three anonymous contributors from the commercial spaceflight industry have stepped forward with a $3 million pledge toward the campaign to ensure a fifth season for the recently cancelled Star Trek: Enterprise. The benefactors explained why they believe this campaign deserves such a substantial contribution: 'We think Star Trek and especially its latest incarnation, Enterprise is the kind of TV that should be aired more often. The people responsible at Paramount think this is just a show and we want to tell them, it is not. We are in the commercial space flight industry and would like to testify that at least one out of two of all the actual entrepreneurs involved in this industry has been inspired by Star Trek; and we are not only good at watching TV sci-fi , we are also good at writing checks, big checks. The people airing this kind of TV have a responsibility; inspiration.' "

slashdot.com, Trektoday.com

The goal is the annual production cost for a season, roughly 36 million. Neither UPN nor Paramount TV, which produces Enterprise, has commented yet on whether the studio will renew the series even if $36 million in donations is pledged. If the series is not renewed TrekUnited has promised to refund all contributions.

12. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    ARGGGG!!!!!!............

If the rumours are true......and it looks like they are...there are going to be a lot of PO'd people after the series finale....:mad:

13. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    "Paramount has agreed to permit Star Trek Enterprise to run for the fifth season which under normal circumstances, the sci-fi show would be impossible to produce with the reduced budget. Enter Star Trek fans Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creators of South Park, to save the day. The two will rename the show to "Team Enterprise" and will keep the voices of the original actors. With the lack of a budget for CGI effects the two will use a model of the Enterprise NX-01, thus reviving an old Star Trek tradition. "We prefer the look of physical, tangible models over CGI ships any day," Parker said. "Of course, we have no visual effects budget whatsoever, so we won't be painting out the strings. You'll get used to it. Still trying to figure out where to put the propeller." They then went on to comment: "We're also gonna re-do the opening title sequence," Stone revealed.

The actors are excited about the prospect of continuing the show without the hassle of costumes, makeup and 16-hour workdays. "Now I won't have to get to work super early in the morning and sit in a chair for hours and hours getting appliances glued to my face before going on set." Another actor requested the producers install a high-speed internet connection and a microphone at her house so she could just phone in her performance.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/10349.html

14. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Previous (April Fools) post not withstanding, Paramount has released their final decision:

Paramount Television today revealed they told the TrekUnited fan campaign in mid-March they would not accept contributions from fans for a fifth season of Star Trek: Enterprise.

"Paramount Network Television and the producers of Star Trek: Enterprise are very flattered and impressed by the fans' passionate outpouring of attention for the show and their efforts to raise funds to continue the show's production," Paramount marketing VP John Wentworth wrote to TrekUnited founder Tim Brazeal on the 15th of March, in a letter now posted at StarTrek.com. "[The] the recent decision to conclude the show's run on UPN is final. We can not and will not be able to accept funds from viewers to produce Star Trek: Enterprise or any other series."

The TrekUnited campaign, which so far has raised $143,583 and has collected pledges for another $3 million, has claimed it is in secret discussions with top-level Paramount executives about continuing Enterprise. However, Wentworth told the Sci-Fi Wire that "there are no talks going on with anybody at Paramount."

Despite the denial from Wentworth, TrekUnited said discussions with Paramount are in fact going on. "I think it's probably a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing," a spokesperson told the Sci-Fi Wire last week. In addition, Tim Brazeal told the site that while he had indeed received Paramount's March 15 letter, the group had since incorporated to form TrekUnited, Inc. He maintained that as a result, the group should no longer be seen as a group of viewers - from whom Paramount would not accept contributions - but rather as a corporation.

Currently, the campaign is still collecting donations from viewers to allow Enterprise to continue. The campaign is also still attracting major media coverage, including most recently a profile in the New York times. If the campaign fails and Enterprise remains cancelled, TrekUnited has promised to return all donations, minus a 5% "handling fee" intended to cover PayPal and banking costs.

Paramount's Wentworth ended his letter with a hopeful message for fans of the overall Star Trek franchise. "Paramount Network Television is extremely proud of Star Trek: Enterprise and the accomplishments of its actors and producers and the entire crew, but we must bid farewell to the show," he wrote. "We believe the franchise is still very vital as evidenced by the fans' demand for books, DVDs and all sorts of related merchandise. We are grateful for the fans' rich history of unwavering enthusiasm for all things Trek, and we hope they'll join us in looking forward to the next chapter of this enduring series in the future."

trektoday.com