Elysium: Facts and History

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Crusader, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Theres no approprate section for this, but hopefully it should get a section of its own:

Okay, having an entire world of our own for the RPG section is one of the best Ive heard yet, My cheers go out to Boom, Nik or whoever's initial idea it was. I realy enjoy this because it gives us a chance to be every creative, make our own lands and peoples, even if theyre just small villages and people, or entire civilisations.

But this can create problems, we could make contradicting histories, places and peoples. So I think we desperately need a thread to post all concrete facts on the Elysium we have created for ourselves, the history and backstoryies of the lands and peoples (individual character histories can stay in their respective profiles.

So lets pile together names and places and everything we can get, and eventually we may get something liek a list of addendecies for reference when it coems to RPG's, maybe eventually we can make a map of elysium. This could prove vital for the continuity of elysium if we really want it to be an actual world instead of a bunch of random facts spewed into each RPG without thought. The reason Tolkien is loved so much is because he created an entire world with intricate detail that you felt yourself emersed into.

So if everyone would contribute by adding the details they have made for each RPG and their characters, perhaps we can get this thing going.

From the three RPG's there isnt much history on a global scale, all i could piece together was that many ages ago there was one united empire of elysium, lead by Orion Sarat. (this is from backstory in RPG 1 by Meteorain) Then a creautre cam forth as a creation of all mans greed and darkness, called Cyric. Long battles were fought and he was defeated, but the empire was in ruin. From then on set in a new dark age (Im making asusmptions here) when brutal struggles for power set in, all forms of wars were fought and thw world was brutal. After many thousands of years this died down and nations gre powerful and we are once again in an imperial age of fantasy, although this time its not united and there are still ravaging wars.

Any other details are to be posted by the people who made them. Im going to work on a small history of a nation I invented (both my characters from RPG 1 and 2 are from this land).

2. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I need to think up a name, but my character in Last Oracle is from an area that was conquered shortly before her birth. I need to think up a more detailed history, but I know that the former nation was sort of generically Asian, with some Shinto-ish ideas. I'll post more later.

I'll be willing to make a map once we are ready to do so. I enjoy drawing.

3. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Great idea, Crusader. Each RPG should be part of the continuation of Elysium. Hopefully we'll be able to keep all the facts straight. :D

4. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I love drawing too Dol, I've already made a basic map of the country Im inventing, as well as pictures of all my characters (the only problem is my crappy scanner, it doesnt work, which is a shame cause I'm proud of some of the pictures, dispite my unprofessional drawing skills.) We can also use this thread to post pictures like that (or character pictures in the character section, which makes a little more sense).

Anyway my first two RPG characters are from Acronia, a small but powerful nation with an interesting history and culture. So here it is:

The Founding of Acronia:
    The land of Acronia was founded by many people from different lands, but they were all brought together by one man, Khalid the Great. After the many wars and the fall of the great Empire of Orion Sarat the world was in turmoil. Civilisations lay in ruin and chaos ran amok. Few remember the heroes of the empire, but the ones that came after were never forgotten. In the dark times of chaos after the empire, many speak of one man by the name of Khalid, he roamed the lands on his horse doing his part to preserve what freedom still existed, he was ever vigilant in his efforts to help the suffereing people. He stood as a fortress wall between the onset of evil and the innocent, and for that he was reknowned. After some time others arose, knights like Khalid, who wanted to do the same, they sought out Khalid and joined his cause for good. Soon he had a hundred mighty warriors behind him fighting evil. But still they could not stop the suffering of the people, they may have been safe from enemies but they were starving and driven from their former homes by the ruin of the wars. Thousands of nomadic tribes were in the same condition, survivors from the wars. Khalid called his knights together and spoke to them, he told them each to find a thousand people and bring them to him, he told them that they would lead the people to a new land where they would be safe from their current troubles. And so they collected 150,000 people from all over Elysium, mostly humans but also elves and dwarves etc who were also in need of a home, and guided them from place to place in search of their promised land. It took five years and many harsh challenges but they finally found a land by the sea, who's earth was fertile and free of other's claim. This land was beautiful and became the new home to the followers of Khalid, but soon they found a terrible secret of the land. The huge mountain at the centre of their land that was flowing with raw metals, jewels and cool springs, Mount Ados, was not unnoccupied. A mighty Dragon slept there for many years, who guarded the propering country from settlers, and Khalid's people awakened it. After one attack hundreds of people were slain and the Dragon returned to its mountain to rest. The people had spent too long in search of their new home just to turn away from the perfect country, Khalid swore an oath to kill the dragon, he left his twenty strongest knights to defend his people and took the rest to Mount Ados to slay the Dragon. The battles were long and hard, for the Dragon was of his ancient kindred who stood taller and stronger than the dragons of today. Finally Khalid struck the dragons heart with his sword and slew the foul beast. But it was not without cost, every knight but Khalid who went to Mount Ados, never returned. Khalid himself was mortally wounded, his left arm was slashed and torn, he had a gash in his palm so deep, the blood flowed like a torrent. Clutching it with agony he returned down the mountain to his people who stood at the lake at its feet. He told them the land was theirs, and they should be ever thankful for a bountiful home that they had fought for. With that Khalid fell to the ground, his left arm stretched out into th lake, where his blood flowed from his palm ans turned the shore red and he died. From then on the land was named Acronia, and their standard has always been the outstretched hand of Khalid, bleeding from the palm. Over time Acronia grew strong and powerful, its lands were ever prosperous and the people happy, and never was it touched by an enemy as the Knights of Acronia, who followed the teachings of Khalid, were stronger than any foreign army.

Acronian Culture:
    Because Acronia was founded by many nomadic tribed of people from every corner of the land, and among them were many races, mostly mankind, but also elves, dwarves and others, this means that Acronia is very accepting of other cultures, and is almost free of racial prejudice. Their culture is mostly similar to medieval europe, but due to its founding diversity, there are many aspects of other cultures too. In the Acronian army there are spears, boardswords, katanas and scimitars alike. This diversity means that Acronia has many advantages over other nations and that they are incredibly strong in battle. This strength also means that many neighbouring nations have become jealous of Acronia, aswell as its prosperous lands, and for that the lands has faced many border wars but has never failed, although this can be attributed also to the geographical layout of Acronia which makes it highly defendable. Since the beginning of Acronia, there has been "The Order of Khalid" who are an order of knights (seperate from the actual army but they work toegther in battle) who follow the teachings of chivalry, valour, honour and sacrifice that Khalid upheld, they are housed in temples rather than barracks and they often travel to foreign lands to do their part to help others. To join this order one must travel to the summit of mount Ados alone, to where the dragons skeleton remains, and retrieve their sword, this sword is made for them by the order and in the hild is embedded a bloodstone that is the symbol of the order. A true Acronain knight cannot be without this sword. It is a ritual of the knights to cut their palms open before battle (deep enough to bleed but not to hinder) and show their blood to the enemy. This symbolised their willingness to shed their blood for others, and also the slight loss of blood helps free the mind from fatigue in a meditation like state.

Modern History:
    The king of Acronia is currently Thal Demuro, who has two sons, Gwandon and Shann. Gwandon was banished some time ago for vowing to undo all his father had done (he also attakced the king with a knife) and he now roams the rest of Elysium like a knight of Khalid (but he had not yet a sword with his bloodstone in due to his young age). Shann is also adventuring the world, but he does not folloed the Codes of his ancestors. Thal is in his final years and while the prince is away the land is under the charge of General Talon, who is the leader of the Acronian army. He is a master strategist and has never been defeated in a battle (whether in an epic battle between nations or in a one on one duel). In the last few decades he has revolutionised the running fo the Acronian army, increasing the numbers five fold and training them to be stronger and better than any other. This has been at a cost, it has required heavy taxation and the once boutiful land and its happy people are now ravages by the greed of Talon and some of the country is starving. Talon has almost Abolished the Order of Khalid as he sees it as needless with the new acronian army.

.......Coming soon, Acronian Geography, I'll get drawing a map on MS paint or something to make up for my crappy scanner.

5. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Here is the backstory for the Elysian Empire in the sci-fi RP:

The planet Elysium was once the center of the great Elysian Empire. At its height, the Elysian Empire ruled over most of the known universe in a golden era of peace and prosperity. Though it was an amazingly advanced and higly cultured society, they were somewhat supressive. They knew that many of the planets they ruled could easily overthrow them if they had technology equal to that of the Elysians, and so they denied access to their great technology to all but citizens of Elysium, and did not allow natives of subject planets to develop technology beyond basic interplanetary travel. However, all empires must fall and, even with their inferior technology, the subject planets organized themselves and staged a mass revolt that drove the Elysians back to their home planet. The combined force of the warships of nearly all of the advanced planets was too much for even the great technology of the Elysians and when an attack was staged upon Elysium, the planet was soon rendered inhospitable to life, the formerly great cities sunken into caverns deep in the earth so that no trace of the great society remained Even now, tens of thousands of years after the downfall of the Empire, the surface of Elysium is burned dead and can support no life. However, free from the repression of the Empire, the other planets soon fell to fighting among themselves and, within a thousand years, had destroyed themselves as utterly as they had destroyed the Elysians. The more primative planets, those that were not advanced enough to be able to participate in the Empire Wars, simply decided to erase all traces of the Empire, and so it was lost to all memory save that of the few Elysians that had retreated underground to the system of caves that riddled the crust of the planet, breathing air cleansed of the poison it it by filtration through miles of rocks.

6. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    going back to the older Elysium world...my character from Rpg 2 is from a place similar to that as Dol had said in post #2. So essentially my character is of Japanese trait (not he is shinobi), so wherever Dol's character comes from, mine would be of similar origin and setting.

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Okay I though I'd add some of the stuff I mad eup in the Sci-fi RPG like dol did, so here goes.

The Universal Space Coalition.

200 years ago the universe was at a point of breakdown, several major empires had fallen in the second war of Nedwins pass (A region of space that is passed through on the routes to and from almost every space faring civilisation). Most of free space was in dissaray, the war had destroyed all pre existing concepts of who owned which parts of free space. Huge numbers of pirates and bandits were roaming the stars and picking on defenseless travelers. Something needed to be done to restore order, and everyone knew that if things returned to their previous state there would soon be another war over Nedwins pass. The solution came in the form of a freelance organisation set up by a rich entrepenuer named Gasta Far who hired a large number of soldiers who had abandoned their homeworlds after the war. He trained them and provided arms, armour and ships and deployed them to deal with the roaming marauders left in space in a vigilante style fasion, they were named the 'peacekeepers' by everyone who was helped by them. After 5 years most of their job was done and space was safe enough for free trade to continue. The governments of many worlds asked Gasta Far to continue his work, many gave him surpluss funds to aid him in this. Far decided that his actions were likely the only thing stopping another war, so he made his organisation legitimate. He named it the USC and made his terms clear. Planets who wished for their protection must pay taxes to fund the coalition and for this support they would recieve their own USC embassy and base where the planet could be defended easily, and they were allowed access to trade routes between other coalition planets. Under USC law each planet owns one million killometers of space around their planet but all other free space was nuetral territory. The USC would police free space around their planets and wherever they deemed necessary. Any ship larger than a transport must have a USC permit to travel space and otherwise it will be inspected and removed to the nearest planet for questioning. Any large armed force or warship in USC space is subject to the same terms but any aggressive action shown allows the USC to destroy the ship regardless of intentions. USC laws also state an uninhabited planet (berift of sentient life) is owned by the first person to claim it but it is subject to inspection by the USC for planetary records. The USC's main base is on a planet called Avadanne IV, the entire planet is owned by them and is used for training, and manufacture of troops, weapons and ships, the USC have everything from footsoldiers, shuttles and small fighter ships all the way to interstellar warships big enough to conquer several planets at once and state of the art technology. The USC also own a space station at Nedwins pass to assure safe transport through that region among others. Because of their nickname int he early days of 'peacekeepers' the USC named their most frequently used unit 'peacekeepers'. A unit of peacekeepers consists of twenty armed foot soldiers with a large range of technology between them, and a long range transport ship that carries all of them along with their equipment.

8. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Does the USC have a main base? Like a planet where the USC heads of affairs and stuff like that work, and where the main database systems are held on that planet?

9. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    History of Ghar: Homeworld of Gene Swiftstar

After the second battle of Nedwins pass, and the establisment of the USC, Ghar became a free world, but a special treaty was made with that of the USC. Since Ghar's environment was that of snowland, and much inhabitable regions, it consisted of a low population level of only approximately 2 million peoples. Due the planet still having many large area of un-used land, a treaty was made with the USC that in return for the use of the planet as a base for development of transport technology and production of high class Mark III transport ships, the people would be given free trade through USC, and much of the technology would be shared. Residential areas would also be created for inhabitants, and job opportunities given priority to the planets inhabitants. This was ideal for Ghar, since it was an unrich planet, low on technology and main business was trade. After the USC was well established 20 years later, there was a major explosion at a factory handling highly unstable Ganthax, which resulted in a month of a certain sector of the planet being un guarded by the USC, until all traces of the chemical was found (Previously Gene worked on one of the transport factories and became learned in mechanics, but when the explosion occured Gene had made his craft, and took a risk of leaving the planet through this doorway, hence being un-registered on the USC databases). Since then nothing much has happened, and Ghar continues to be a properous planet, now making some of USC's military craft.

10. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    You probably didnt read close enoguh, heres the part in question.

And that stuff about your planet makes sense enough. The USC would need a lot of different planets to manufacture the huge fleets they police space with. So its all good.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  11. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Ah yes I did miss the first half of that, or rather skimmed it over, but thanks for clearing that up. I am guessing this planet is a futuristic metropolis riddled with work buildings, and people literally live in flats set out like a honeycomb, full of holes where ppl have their flats, like in the Fifth Element?

12. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, half the planet is a huge sity for administration and communication like a mix of NY in the fifth element and that big city planet is star wars. The other half is military manufacture training along with gigantic spaceports for their interstellar warships, like fifty-thousands skyscapers stuck to gether, but with lots of guns on them.

13. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    lol custom made skyscapers armed to the teeth...I like I like, maybe ill get to fly thrgouh the city on a run, and doge the bullets of the buildings...w00t Tool (Gene) gonna have fun!

14. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    hey I wouldnt try it, the USC police most of civilised space, which means they have enough war ships and capital ships to take out almost every trace of life in the galaxy, and I would assume they have extra guarding their own base planet. Gene would probably get fried pretty soon, unless he flew really low on the streets, but only someone who is a better pilot than he is crazy could pull that off without a dozen fighters taking him down. Sounds like gene could have a LOT of fun.