Elvish line between Aragorn and Elrond.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by telcontar_63, Mar 30, 2004.

1. telcontar_63

telcontar_63 Soldier of Gondor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know where that line comes from that Aragorn and Elrond say in Elvish after he brings Aragorn Anduril. I think it was Elrond: "I give hope to men." Aragorn: "I leave none for myself." I have read the books several times and don't remember it in there.

2. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    If you've read the books and seen the movies ull realize there is alot of stuff not included in the movies (Scouring of the Shire) and alot of made up stuff (Warg Attack). I guess its just one of those little things that sound cool, so they decided to put it in.

3. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is a nod to the books. I can't remember where it came from.
    I think it had something to do with Aragorn's mother.

4. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    If you remember correctly, Aragorn get's the sword way earlier; when they are still in Rivendel. Elrond wasn't even present at the mustering of Rohan, so the whole conversation is made up, I guess.

5. Calarustithil

Calarustithil Smith of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the line comes from the appendices. I think it was written on Aragorn's mother's grave. There is a neat pun there too. Before Aragorn new that he was the heir of Elendil, while he was in Rivendel as a young man his name was Estel, which is hope in elvish. Meaning his mother gave Estel (Aragorn) and estel (hope) to men. Pretty cool...

6. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but I think Elrond means: Men shood fight this one out ant they might have a chance of victory; it's not up to the Elves. And Aragorn says: Although I am the hope of mankind, I don't expect to be alive and well at the end of it. Or, I gave all my hope to mankind, there's none left for myself.

7. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    OK, I ran into it, indeed in Appendix A: it is a line spoken by Gilraen, Aragorn's mother when he leaves from "the North". It is the last line she says to him.

' "This is our last parting, Estel, my son. I am aged by by care, even as one of lesser Men; and now that it draws near, I cannot face the darkness of our time that gathers upon Middle-earth. I shall leave soon.
    'Aragorn tried to comfort her, saying: Yet there may be a light beyond the darkness; and if so, I would have you see it and be glad."
    'But she answered only with this linnod:

Onen i-Estel Edain, ú-chebin estel anim*,

and Aragorn left with a heavy heart. Gilraen died before the next spring.

*As a footnote, the translation appears; "I gave Hope to the Dunedain, I kept no hope for myself"

-LoTR, Appendix A

Note that hope (estel) is written the first time with a capital E, and later in small, so she points to Aragorn (Estel).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2004
  8. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Ok i dont remeber, but in ROTK, the book, i think aragorn still recieves something wrapped in a cloth but i dont remember what it was. I think it was when he was at Dunharrow. Could someone please clear this up for me?

9. Aenónar

Aenónar Elf of Arda Tauréndor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    He recieved his banner by the grey division at isengard or something

10. ElvishTwin

ElvishTwin Left-handed Scribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ah, you said all I was going to say, but I'll add something of my own. :)

In RotK, when Elrond brought the sword to Aragorn, it was supposed to be Halbarad, and Elladan and Elrohir bringing the standard, I think it is, to him. They had to take characters such as Gilraen out of the stories for the movie or it would be WAY too long and complicated for the average mortal to understand, so they changed this and had Elrond deliver the message, so to speak.

11. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey Elan Morin, actually if you haven't noticed, more of the scenes are actually just jumbled around in the movies, as there was a Warg attack, but it was in the Fellowship ('The Ring Goes South'), and the Old Man Willow scene was also moved to the Two Towers (in the EE), the Re-Forging of Narsil to RotK, and many other scenes as well. Then there were the scenes that may have involved someone who was not there in the books, such as Arwen taking Frodo to Rivendale, and Elrond coming to the Muster of the Rohirrim rather than his Sons and the Dunadain.

Search tags for this page

lotr elrond lines

stuff aragorn says in elvish