elves over men?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Bard, Sep 29, 2004.

1. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +339 / 1 / -0
    wow, kakashi has a challenger!!

2. Allfader

Allfader New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    What a weird discussion. :)

3. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +339 / 1 / -0
    which?
    i was referring to kakashi resurecting old threads

4. Allfader

Allfader New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The original discussion, not your contribution.

5. The4thMusketeer

The4thMusketeer New Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I'd vote men, if only because I find elves annoying...

6. Lirael

Lirael Smile!

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I think elves... They just seem wiser, more agile, have keener sight, etc. I think theyre also more in control of their actions, so aren't likely to act irrationally.

7. lavastone

lavastone New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When i first read the title I thought it was for looks or something...lol
    I think the elves would win most of the time...they seem more agile (as someone said...) and dont get as tired as quickly...I think hand to hand and with weapons they would win...

8. walker1979

walker1979 dream weaver

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Turin Turambar was pretty special though...For me it would have to be Elves.Though against the three houses..Who knows,if the numbers were even...

9. cuthalion

cuthalion New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So do you have any proof man (in average) were stronger than elves for Tolkien?? because I have some sentences that pretty much says otherwise:
    “…and they were tall and dark-haired and strong like fir-trees, and from them most of the Noldor later were sprung.
    “…The Noldor, outnumbered and taken at unawares, were yet swiftly victorious; for the light of Aman was not yet dimmed in their eyes, and they were strong and swift, and deadly in anger, and their swords were long and terrible."
    In general the Sindar appear to have very closely resembled the Exiles, being dark-haired, strong and tall, but lithe." The History of Middle-earth, vol. XI, The War of the Jewels: "Quendi and Eldar,"
    “He was tall as a young tree, lithe, immensely strong, able swiftly to draw a great war-bow and shoot down a Nazgûl, endowed with the tremendous vitality of Elvish bodies, so hard and resistant to hurt that he went only in light shoes over rock or through snow, the most tireless of all the Fellowship.” –So even Legolas a Sindar elf who didn’t even see the light of the trees is very strong.
    "Felagund put forth all his power and burst his bonds; and he wrestled with the werewolf, and slew it with his hands and teeth." –Here Finrod was strong enough to burst his bonds to save Beren (one of the strongest men the tales tell and wasn’t capable of escaping).
    They were called “halflings”; but this refers to the normal height of men of Númenórean descent and of the Eldar (especially those of Ñoldorin descent), which appears to have been about seven of our feet.’
    '' But in the dim dusk of a winter's day there appeared suddenly among them a man, as it seemed, of great bulk and girth, cloaked and hooded in white...'' - This is a physical description of Beleg in comparison to the men that were following Túrin Turambar. Keep in mind that he’s one of the Sindar the Noldor were in general larger.

10. GrimWarlock

GrimWarlock Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Elves would easily win this one. Tolkien style elves are pretty much a prime example of how to make a Sue race - they are great at everything. Best magic users, most skilled, most accurate, best artists, best smiths(Yes, dwarves are actually just good, elves are the best even here), best fighters, best rangers, connected to nature, have special powers others can't dream to have, never get sick, never get poisoned, immortal unless someone kills them, overall - they are the most powerful at everything. The sole reason they couldn't just stroll unto the enemy slaughtering everything in their path without breaking a sweat is their low numbers. If it's just 1 on 1 competition between Middle-Earth races elves would win every single one.

However I'd like to point out that I hate the kind of elves that are best at everything.