elves over men?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Bard, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I know that in the silmarillion and the lord of the rings, men are portrayed most of the time as being kind of ruffian-like until felagund met beor and taught him the tounge of the elves. but if there were to be a challenge of brute strength or overall skill of fighting, who would win, elves or men?

2. boromir_the_ranger

boromir_the_ranger Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i say the elves if it was the same nuber of men & elves, elves would surely win big time. they are better in most things than men

3. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I personally like the fighting style of men, the elves may have more skill with certain weapons, but men also have their strongsuits...
    we cant forget the fight between turin and saeros (sp?) in doriath in The Silmarillion.

4. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think if the elves had no bows men would win but the elves have superior range weapons. and you cant beat that!

5. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If all weapons were available, the men wouldn't be able to come within 300 yards of the Elven army. If no bows, then I say they would tie.

6. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Men are stronger than elves physically. I would think if the two were engaged in a sword battle the odds would be even because the man would have more physical strength but the elf would have more agility.

7. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    what do you guys/girls think would happen if one elf against one man engaged in a fist-fight?

8. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    A man would win in a fist fight, the elf would be too concerned about mussing his hair. ;)

9. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

True, but Turin was one of the best warriors ever, of any race. That might be an unfair comparison. I belive that Tolkien wrote somewhere that as men grew stronger, the elves grew weaker. He probably used the words Waved and Waned or something to that extent. My input is that If the battle were to occur in the first age, the Elves would win. By the second age I'd say that the two races were pretty evenly matched, with the rise of Numenor and all. The third age has to go to men though. They've come to dominate most of Middle earth by the war of the ring.

10. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Elrond is described as strong as any warrior.

11. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    if elves ever fought the haradrim or wildmen in the third age who would win?

12. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I think the elves would win. For one thing, the elves didn't need sleep. For another, the books clearly describes them as being hardier than men when it came to wounds.

13. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I started wondering... is it actually said anywhere that men were stronger than elves, or is it just a common popular belief stemming from the classical image of elves or fairies as something aerial? I think I remember someone telling once that Tolkien didn't support such notions about elves.

Yes, but it isn't a dominance gained with physical power, in my opinion, elves were willingly withdrawing from the affairs of Middleearth. I've also always had the impression that the ''Waved and Waned'' was used for describing a mental state, not a physical one.

14. Iluvatar2004

Iluvatar2004 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with the people that say physically men are stronger and would definitely win a purely physical fight. If weapons were involved, it would most likely lean towards elves, but u gotta take into account which warrior of men would be fighting

15. SEVENWOLVES

SEVENWOLVES GET READY FOR PUNISHMENT

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    elves would win, they posseses great strenght!

16. Wanderer00

Wanderer00 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    men are way better than elves becuase of adrenaline man it rushes through your system and ou keep going then die a slow agonising death after it fades later

17. Morgan_of_Salerone

Morgan_of_Salerone New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    If a battle between the Elves and Men of Middle Earth took place, there would be many factors that would lead to the victory of one of the two races. The numbers invoved, the grade of technology(weapons and such), the physical location where the batttle took place, the season, how close reinforcements are, the age in which the battle took place... it would be a hard thing to predict accurately. I myself am biased in this debate as I am much more inclined to cheer for Elves than for Men. However, Elves do have one advantage Men can never have: knowledge and experience. I think that if the Elves decided that they truly wanted to be rid of Men, then it would only be a matter of time - something the Elves have much excess of - before the race of Men was ridden into the ground.

18. DragonQueen

DragonQueen I AM YOUR QUEEN

Is in a pretty place with flowers and sunlight and
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    elves are better cause htey are pertyer

19. Galadriel71

Galadriel71 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I would say it would depend on the skill and strength of either army, but i would say (With the exception of Easterlings) that Elves are better.

20. Sanor

Sanor The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well i think that in war every excisting weapon is useable and because elven have most of wizards, healers and best of magical weapons it would be victory to elves. But magic is kind of minimal in midle-earth and most elvens dont want use magic because it breaks the world harmony (Unles it comes straight from valar) Then it depends that are the elvens in attacing or decicive side. because if they are in decicive side its still theyre victory.