Elven city vs Dwarven stronghold

Discussion in 'Polls' started by azuren82, Jan 17, 2007.

?

Which place will you visit?

1. Elven city

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. Dwarven stronghold

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    It depends of which books (or games/fils) you're talking about. In Warhammer the Dwarves have guns, but do they in anything else? Guns are costly and take time to reload. If we're talking about elven archers they could fire through the eyeholes of the dwarven helmets. A volley of arrows is more terrifying than any other chance of missile because if well aimed (not too difficult) there is a 1/1 chance of hitting. Also because it is just a massive cloud of three foot shafts tipped by two inches of steel shot from a 120 pound bow. There'd be a few hundred archers, this making a lot of fire-power. No need for magic here. At close range the arrows would pierce armor. Enchanted armor? -> enchanted arrows. Crossbows only have a good efficiency at close range and take longer to reload.

The elves use bows until the enemy is near, then go in with sabers and spears, reducing the risk of death by camouflaging. Elves are also great riders, which is something dwarves don't do.

Holding with the beautifully built/architectured elven city, inhabited by beautiful, graceful people.

2. Lord Armagoth

Lord Armagoth New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hands down dwarven stronghold. they have crazy craftsmanship. an impressive sight would be a dwarven city. plus all the good mead and dwarf spirits!

3. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    You say that man!Finally one more vote for the dwarves! ;)

Dwarven beer's on me!Who wants a pint?

4. Lord Armagoth

Lord Armagoth New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'll take one, hell yea!
    * sits down on bench and lights pipe *

5. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    What you've highlighted here in part is nothing more than a simple terrain warfare. As I've said, the dwarves ain't dumb. There's no way they will play into elven territory unless being forced to. And fyi, dwarves also have the highest resistance to magic amongst every fantasy races generic standard wise. And dun forget that tree summons are extremely weak against fire. You can be very sure that the dwarves will take advantage of that. ofc elves could use water magic, but arguably dwarves also have a good number of clerics on their side. So it's actually a touch and go tbh. All in all for the magic issue, it's more of how one will define the area of magic, both elemental and clerical.

Warcraft dwarves also use guns fyi. But I admit your longbow logic. The English had used it to **** the French N times over in history. :S But contrary to popular belief, arrows can't actually penetrate an armour plate of 5 mm thick. Unless ofc you're talking abt mail armour. Then it's diff. As for elves using bows as the initial onslaught, tbh it depends on the world and sub races. Some like the Wood Elves of WHF quite obviously fit the bill. But High Elves and other elves in other fantasy world might not play along to the script. It's more of a terrain kinda issue really. And yep, I admit elves are great riders, but dwarves also have steam tanks depending on which fantasy world you're talking abt. As has been proven by WW2, tanks are ****ing efficient in traveling across forest terrain at the very least.

But yeah, I agree with you on the last sentence. Elven cities are a treat to those with a more refined artistic sense. Not to say dwarven stronghold sucks tho. If you wanna have a brawl or just a jolly good pub bash, the dwarves are your best buddies. Damn midgets are really less reserved than the elves imo. ;)

6. Lord Armagoth

Lord Armagoth New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    To be honest I like them both a whole lot, but I think a dwarven stronghold would hold up alot more than an elvish city. And if you put a plant against a rock the rock is gonna win. sure a plant can grow roots through rock but not that easily, and it takes forever. Plus any blade can cut a vine magus.

7. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    A normal child's recurve bow could shoot an arrow through somebody at up to ten meters. A 200 pound longbow, probably more powerful than the normal ones - enchantments, magic/special wood... - could easily shoot a three-foot 800g arrow, specially made for piercing plate armor (they do exist). That would get quite a few.
    I didn't say what warfare. The elves are great at getting anywhere and everywhere. So wherever they fight, they shall always find the best position for their archers and get there first. Also they are more maneuverable with their lighter, more flexible armour.

Yes a dwarven city would be rowdy and all that, but a reserved person like myself would prefer the company of elves.
    And anyway, do you think the dwarves would accept tall people? I am - and like it - very tall for my age.

8. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    If the rock wins, then explain why earth is not a barren planet of rock and dust. A blade could cut a vine, but there would be a lot of vines a they'd be thick and close to the person's body, giving a possibility of the person being hurt. Dwarves in their heavy armour would have more difficulty to turn and hit all around.

9. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Jaysus, you couldn't smell the sarcasm when I called them "poo poo heads"? Calm down bro. I still prefer the culture and lifestyle of dwarfs. In prefernce of a place to be at I would rather be at a stronghold. Being around a supreme/old/powerful race would sort of make me feel like crap, so I'd rather be at a Dwarven bar making fun of elves because it would be funny.

10. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'm not one to catch humor easily, so my apologies, Yuan. >.> But yeah, the whole Elven city vs Dwarvens stronghold, it's basically a case of personal preference. ppl along the formal side of attitude will prefer the former while those along the more boisterous nature would want to have a good pint of dwarven brew. ;)

11. Lord Armagoth

Lord Armagoth New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well druid there might be plants and green life all over the earth but their is stone beneath. You are right about many vines restricting movement, however a dwarf magic user would only have to cast a fire spell to destroy them.
    I'd rather be in a dwarf city if I could visit one or the other but I like both. If I had the choice to be an elf or dwarf I'd be an elf. I'm not to big on being small lol.

12. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    It is okay I did kinda cut in when it became more of a debate with "valid points" and those silly things. Defense wise I think whoever is the attacker would lose. A stronghold would leave less cover like a forest has and Dwarves would handle better, and as somebody mentioned before a slew of armored hammers in the middle of a forest could be easily clipped by sneak attacks.

Both have very good defenses, if only there was a forest cave race...

13. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, you've got a valid point here Yuan. Be it fortress or forest, the whole deal will be much more of a terrain advantage to the defenders. That plus given both races are not the exact ppl one will expect to produce an invader's mindset, I guess at the very best, all we can do here is random hypothesis. -.-

And I dunno what's your take on Elves, but it's actually true that not all of them are forest dwellers. The High Elves in Tolkien and Warhammer fantasy lived within the confines of modern civilization so as to say while Dark Elves in general dun really live in forests. That is unless we're talking abt Lineage. Dwarves on the other hand seems to be deep set within the mountain race stereotype. ****ing idiots playing around with fantasy ideas seems to have double standards. And I'll admit that I'm one of them. Pikel Bouldershoulder is quite obviously an exception b/c he's an anomaly in nature. :S

14. Lord Armagoth

Lord Armagoth New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    very true, I have equal respect for both but If you were to truly compare them you would have to narrow down witch fantasy world or it would just be so many diffrent ideals on the races.

15. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    The mirkwood elves in the Hobbit live in a series of caves throughout the Mnts of Mirkwood.

Elven city.

16. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Bah, there are so many interpretations and various branches of dwarves and elves. Like what Armagoth said. It is too general to argue about unless we want to run around in a circle testing every specific race and their location against another.

17. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    If ever there was a decision, then it would probably have to be LotR, for that is where most fantasy books, games and films originate from. Elves and dwarves had already been heard of, but not as described in Tollien's stories. The elves before were a short race not unlike fairies that scampered around the woods, and dwarves were just disproportionate halflings.

18. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    if you've seen the ruins of stone-built mayan temples after a few decades of being left to the forest, or tried to light a fire with wet wood, or tried to use an axe on a tree (i don't think elves use chainsaws, but i might be wrong), you'll see how hard it is to take down plant-based stuff. i think there was a description in Flotsam and Jetsam chapter of the Lord of the Rings, where the tree-giants, Ents, were tearing through miles and miles of stone and concrete with their bare...roots, with as much ease as a person tearing through soft bread.

19. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    While I agree that JRRT's elves and dwarves are a default setting for modern fantasy, earlier depictions aren't as limited as you seem to think. Elves could be anywhere from a foot or two to taller than a man, could be good or evil. Dwarves in Norse mythology are sometimes indiinguishable from dark elves.

20. Lord Armagoth

Lord Armagoth New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've chopped trees down with an axe for a job before and its not that hard, and yes I've read LOTR 5 times and I love the ents, but if you remember in that chapter as soon as an ent caught fire he was screwed. all it takes is fuel. And mayan temples, how old are they? I said a very long time didnt I. Like I said I like both races equally they both have their strong points, but how many realms would you have to compare to see who was greater? Like I said they both have their strong points, Its not really an argument worth having in my opinion.