Elven city vs Dwarven stronghold

Discussion in 'Polls' started by azuren82, Jan 17, 2007.

?

Which place will you visit?

1. Elven city

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. Dwarven stronghold

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    sorry for double post.
    They do; the Dark elf in the Silmarillion lives in a forest up north.

2. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Alex doesn't mean the prototype Tolkien version. His own version of DEs will forever be stuck in the DnD and/or possible the WHF mold. With that being said tho, let me just correct you Alex that not every of the recent fantasy version of DEs actually live out of forests. Go play Lineage and see for yourself. :S

3. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    city implies large numbers of entities, as well as some semblence of order. given the order part, i'd go to the elven city and immediately demand hospitality, which they would be obligated to give, protecting me against any noticable acts of violence, then leave all my items of cold iron outside the door as far away as possible, get a bunch of sigils for protection against magickal spells tattooed on my skin, and carry an airproof sealed bag of mortal food so I don't have to eat any elvish food.

4. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    THE dark elf? There was a whole civilization of dark elves in LotR. They just lived far far east.

5. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    In the Sil there's one.

6. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    who keeps bumping this thread again?

7. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
  8. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
  9. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I find the Forgotten Realms Dark Elves fascinating.They are evil or at least just bad(with a few exceptions of course)but they are fascinating to examine and read about.Especially in the Dark Elf Trilogy or the War of the Spider Queen(where a group of people who don't even care about each other have to cooperate to achieve something and they all want to
    double-cross their friend or something like that).

10. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    S-S-S-STRONG HOLD. Dwarves are also far more cool in general. And more manly. I would totally be bros with a few, and I would call them bro. Way more cool than pansy elves. I would chill with some dwarves mining and stuff, then watch them hammer stuff. Then repeat that for hours. Boatloads of fun. And at some point I'm assuming massive cave animal killing would be in there, and that would be grand.

11. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I agree man,I agree 100% and don't forget the beer!

P.S. Can the cave animal killing include Orcs and goblins too?

12. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    This statement is enough evidence that you've been watching too much Orlando Bloom. :S

13. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    tech+armor vs magic+bows -> magic wins

14. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Well-crafted hammer on the head->Magic amnesia.

15. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Elves are still pansies. And they fight with bows because they look ugly and are cowards that don't do close range battle and they are doo doo heads.

16. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    it's the smart ones that stay back away from sharp pointy objects and the stupid ones that charge into sharp pointy objects.

17. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Again, this is a biased statement from somebody who only likes to do noobish bashing on elves just b/c he watched too much OB. While it's true that elves use bows as part of their arsenal, that doesn't mean the said area is the primary tactics. Due to the standard Elven dex bonus, they are actually very damn good in weaponmastery b/c of the agility bonus in the technical sense, meaning they would have a higher accuracy and evasion rate no matter how you look at it. That plus b/c they are the longest lived race in general fantasy, it's a no brainer that any random elf can perfect his own chosen art of combat within his entire lifetime compare to that of the other races with lesser lifespan.

Elves are NOT cowardly and they're definitely one of, if not the fairest race in the standard fantasy. If you really wanna bash Elves so badly, pls come up with objective evidence instead and from my own experience with fantasy, I dare say that my reasoning here is much more sound than you "omg elves sux" kinda noob comments. :S

wanderingmagus: Well, what you've said here is way too general. While it's true that only idiots will charge headlong into a defensive formation, dwarves ain't that stupid. Remember that they are a race born to fight. Hence it's only natural that we will get to see superior strategists in their ranks. That plus dwarves have an insane fortitude. Meaning they can't be killed that easily via the standard artillery formation. And do take note that dwarven armour and weapons are the very best in any standard fantasy world. Ultimately, it boils down to which side having superior tacticians plus the differing style of combat on a general basis.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  18. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    I've heard it said that armour of any metal simply conducts magic even more efficiently. I have also heard it said that the best archers do not aim for the armour, which would obviously turn the head, but rather the gaps between the armour, where the arrow can burrow into flesh. Additionally, although dwarves are masters of armour and melee weapons crafting, as far as I've heard even an adamant throwing-axe can't go nearly as far as a mithril arrow.

19. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    On the magic conduction issue, dwarven armour are runic in nature. Meaning chances are that no such bs will happen. As for the armour gaps, it's extremely hard to aim if we're talking abt those along the plate design b/c it's only natural that the seams will be extremely hard to hit at normal range. Best bet will be within 50m at the furthest. Even then, seams targeting the vital spots are impossible to aim b/c of the positioning. At the very best, an archer can only aim for the joints. Given the standard Dwarven fortitude, it's pretty much of a touch and go for the shooter. And lastly, dwarves are masters in gun technology. Compared to the elven arrows, dwarven guns have a surefire armour penetration plus much higher damage. Even if for non-gunners, dwarves are also proven expert with crossbows, in which the bolts fired will have a high armour piercing effect as well.

20. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    even the tiniest hole will let in the heat from a rain of fire spell. gun tech can't work if you can't see your enemy. waves of darkness spell and natural elven invisibility. a heavy swing of an axe equals ten thousand cuts with white knives, wrist blades and throwing-knives. runic armour will not help against a living, breathing tree giant summon. rock giant summons can be crumbled with a thousand tree summons. even a turtleshell formation can be pierced with a thick enough hail of arrows. your guns won't work if our hexes break them first. you can't aim everywhere at once, and you will scream for mother when we send one hundred trillion killer bees from the lands of Faerie against you. a dwarf will NOT want to see the true eldritch form of the mother of all elves. dwarven fortres... no actually, any fortress vs ent forest summon = ent forest wins. my magic pwns your magic. fists of stone will erode under blades of air. blasts of dragonfire can be extinguished with tendrils of water. swords and axes of rune and adamant are useless if your arms are pinned back with vines. the strongest armour will become your everlasting prison if frozen solid in a magickal blizzard or blast of frost. your cave of wonders will only amplify our sonic screams.