EE glitch

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Aragorn II Elessar, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Aragorn II Elessar

Aragorn II Elessar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have had a repeated problem at the beginning of the second disc when gimli and eowyn are talking: for two or three frames, the picture seems to interlace itself improperly on a few parts of the screen (35% total area probably). i've returned my copy to the store several times and always have the same problem with every copy. has anyone else experienced this? take a close look, it's very brief but if you pause it at the right time, you can clearly see the problem. i have an hdtv so i'm not sure if the problem is visible on a standard tv. also, if anyone knows if new line has a dvd exchange process through their company, i would appreciate the info.

2. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Is the problem about halfway through watching the disc?

3. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I haven't noticed it, but next time I watch it I'll look for it

4. Aragorn II Elessar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no its within the first 1-3 minutes on disc 2. sometime i'll take a look again and post an exact time. but it's before gimli falls off the horse.

5. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    The reason I am asking is because depending on the make of your DVD player, some makes/models have a harder time than others handling the layer switch. (If you weren't aware, a DVD has multiple layers, the laser actually refocuses to read an underlying layer).

If your player is one of these, the layer change will show up as a video glitch. And since this track change occurs at the same spot on every DVD, changing the disc won't matter. Usually the switch will be near the middle, but it doesn't have to be.

Try playing it on someone else's (different make) DVD player.

It's kind of the Y2K version of the track change of an old 8-track tape. If you don't understand that reference, that's ok. Think teckie-dinosaur....:D

6. Aragorn II Elessar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no its not the layer change, there is a legitamate problem with the disk

7. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    OK, sorry then, I can't help you.

Have you tried it in another DVD player?

8. Ymina

Ymina New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was just watching my TTT EE and there are no problems here. (And I tried the disc on all three of my DVD players too. Including my portable DVD player.) Yeppers NO problems. :)

9. Aragorn II Elessar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    16 seconds into disc 2. i watched it on my computer for the first time now, and it looks even worse!

10. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you have to take the discs back yet again, get the new ones from somewhere else.

My dad had a problem with the X-Men 2 dvd. It would not play beyond a certain point. He had to take it back 5 different times. Bad batch, apparently.

11. Aragorn II Elessar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that's what i'm thinking, but it seems like all the best buys around here probably got the same bunch

12. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    What I would do in that case is when you return it if they offer exchange only (usually if it is open that is all they will do) take the new one to the Video Department and have them play it BEFORE you bring it home. That would save you a lot of headaches...

13. Aenónar

Aenónar Elf of Arda Tauréndor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just reacently got a problem with the EE on disc one, where Pippin and Merry fell asleep in treebeards house, then all sudden the disc jumped 3 chapters back, next ime I went through that chapther, it froose for a few seconds, but I think I'l blame my friend for that too, since all he touches brakes.... he broke my computer 3 days ago too... :(

14. Palantir

Palantir Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    New line has stated a release (I forget where) that they are aware of the EE glitches. It is not the fault of the discs, but rather a fault in the firmware of some DVD players. I have checked this glitch out on my old Toshiba DVD and it it there on my disc as well... However on my new JVC player it is not. I played the discs into a Toshiba 65HX83 HDTV.

15. Aragorn II Elessar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I considered that it could be the player, but I've played it on my computer and seen the same problem, plus I know other people with different DVD players who've seen the glitch, and most importantly, such errors usually occur with earlier dvd players from when the format wasn't as solidified as it is now. my dvd players are all less than a year old. I suppose it could be the player, but then i'm just gonna be pissed that i have 3 dvd players that all have the same problem with this wonderful movie.

16. Meldawen

Meldawen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't have that problem either and I have a HDTV but also a brand new DVD player.

Although my DVD player does kinda do a pause/stutter type thing at the sames points on each DVD- I hate it but they says it's normal for movies longer than 2.5 hrs.. has something to do with layering. It doesn't happen on any regular length DVDs I have.

17. Aragorn II Elessar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i went to an ultimate electronics store and tested it out on a bunch of their powerhouse dvd players, and the glitch was always there! i'm convinced this is a issue with my copy/batch that i keep exchanging. so i shall return it again!

18. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I had the same problem with not only the first copy of FotR (theatrical version), but every other copy that I exchanged as well. It was right exactly at the point in which Gimli picks up his axe to strike the ring at Rivendale. I wonder what its about. I changed the layer, but this never helped. I wonder what the deal was.

This is the reason I went the ancient technology of VHS, and no squibbles there :) !!!