Dynasty Forge 1095 katana

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Justice, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just posting to show off my newest acquisition, my Dynasty Forge 1095 stone polished katana.

Customized by www.orochishinken.com

I have always wanted a larger katana. Most places sell katana's with blades at about 27 inches, which is fairl standard length, but a bit wimpy in many ways. I decided I wanted a monster as far as katanas go, and this is it. The Dynasty Forge 1095 iaido length katana. The blade measures 32.5 inches including the habaki. Well defined bohi (no dips or waviness) a perfectly flat mirror finish (no hammer marks or grind marks visible at all) and an edge so sharp you could shave with it.

This katana is made in a much more traditional manner than most other katanas (despite being made in China and using modern steels). Once the blade is forged it is polished over a series of polishing stones in the traditional japanese togoshi method. First very coarse stones are used to remove steel. Somewhat finer stones refine the shape. Smoother stones then begin to polish the blade and establish an edge. Then extremely smooth stones bring the polish to a beatiful level and the hamon pattern begins to appear in the steel.

Doing this provides a superior finish and a sharper edge than what other places provide The forge recieves it weapons from Fred Chen, no relation to Paul Chen, a chinese sword maker who is behind many sword companies like Last Legend, DGuertin katanas, Liveblade, Oni Forge, Cold Steel, and several other companies. Each has different offerings of their weapons as Fred Chen provides a much higher variety of arms than does Paul Chen. Some places even provide a "tamahagane" class of swords, made from iron rich sand as traditional japanese katanas used. t is not technically tamahagane as that refers to Japanese steel, the source of their steel is actually China, in in a sense it should be called "yu-steel".

I had the habaki, seppa, and shitodome silver plated on the sword, and had the handle rewrapped in black silk by www.orochishinken.com. The blade is NOT folded. I would rather have a very nice katana made from monosteel than a lesser katana made from folded steel.

The handle is 12 inches in length, a fairly standard cutting length, slightly longer than what most practitioners of iaido use. The blade weighs perhaps 2 pound 14 ounces to my best guess. A weighty, but still very well balanced and very excellent value altogether.

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Awesome Justice, you have the best toys :)

Is the wide fuller type groove near the spine of the blade a traditional feature of katanas?

Search tags for this page

by the dynasty forge katanas

dynasty forge
fred chen katana