Dutch Artist Turns Dead Cat into Helicopter!

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Sparrow, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    You know I've always eaten meat (and I've no plans to stop) and I've always known that there is a specific need to farm meat (specifically because there are far too many people on the earth to rely upon self sustaining wild stocks). That said I've always felt that one has to cross a mental barrier, or point in ones mind or close some part down in order to go through the process of raising an animal specifically for the slaughterhouse. I think you have to cross an even bigger barrier to do so when you do the slaughter yourself.

I also think its something most very young people see and are oft forced to cross; whilst those in the hotter blooded late teens to young adults and well into some of the middleages don't think about - and then hits them in their elder years again.

Also interesting point:
    We accept animals (like cats) into our society and even accord them a place within or close social structure of the family. They are fed, housed, cared for, vet bills paid for and more - all for very little actual "work" return (though they do keep the mice out!)
    However upon a certain point they become worthless to us. If medical bills become to high or if they die their status is often left down to their most base component (ergo they are meat and bone).

Interestingly we go to great lengths to prove that this cold, calculated view is not one we hold for humans (our own species). We go to extra ordinary lengths to prove this even well after they are departed and gone to the grave. Were anyone of us to take a family member, dead through totally natural causes, to make them into a helicopter or heck even to have them stuffed by a taxidermist for anything other than 100% science we would be regarded as possibly insane and at the very least dangerous (or maybe I got those two mixed around).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    You wouldn't want to crash it into a building and have it explode into pieces. heh ok bad taste.

IMO this isn't Art but I cant stop but chuckle at it even tho like sparrow said, I shouldn't. heh look at its face XD

3. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I was reading about this the other day. The photos really creeped me out. I don't like it, I think it's a kind of twisted thing to do.

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Personally, I have no problem accepting it as art and that an artistic statement is being made, hell, he even had the cat outfitted by a professional... the cat is a functioning helicopter that works pretty darn well, and it sure looks lifelike... uncomfortably lifelike. That said, the art has a rather crude symbolism, and whatever artistic statement there might be, is lost in the laughter. Unless of course the laughter tells us more than we'd like to know about ourselves. :)

But then again here we are discussing it, and I bet we couldn't get this interested in the Mona Lisa.

5. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I used to feel pretty much the same way about "modern art".
    But over time I've become much more appreciative of modern art, to the point that when I'm on vacation and in a city I've never been to before I'll make a point to visit modern art galleries/museums before anything else. Yeah, I think some of it is crap, but it's usually at least interesting to look at.

6. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Oh I like certain things (that are from the first half of the 20th Century), and also like certain types of modern art. But something that has no meaning, that is not revolutionary and does not make people think it beautiful (same as Stendhal syndrome but for art, not architecture) I believe ahould not be accepted as art as such, even though it is arbitrary (art that is) and if he says so it technically is...

7. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Err.. I don't particularly like that painting. I mean, I've seen it and I was rather underwhelmed. I've seen more inspiring pieces of Leonardo's work. So, as far as the Mona Lisa concerns, I agree.

But yes, I love art and I love discussing it. Not just this caticopter.

8. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    It makes me laugh. :)

9. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Je bent een beetje late to this conversation Julie. (just need to say something in Flemish)

I think that the Mona Lisa is pretty good; the subject is probably only famous because of the speculation and that's pretty boring, but the actual painting itself; the colours and the techniques: to me that's what makes it good.

But this caticopter, pfffffff.

10. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Oh cool, I just see I'm in your sig! That's the first time ever someone puts me in his or her sig!! *moved*

11. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Dat's right; now I got both ma girls in ma sig.

I just realised something pretty funny today; I've been saying how we shouldn't use dead animals as art, but I'm the one with a skull in my room...

12. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    haha - awesome ^^

What animal? Or is it one of those Chinese executees?

13. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

About six or seven years ago my youngest niece who was six or seven years old at the time, had a school project whereby they had to hit up a relative who lived in another part of the country to send them some objects that represented the State they were living in... I live in Florida; so I sent her a jar of organic honey, some old postcards I found at an antiques shop, and a baby alligator skull... the kids loved the skull!

14. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's a deer's skull, although its left jaw is smashed. I took it form our lab at school when they were clearing all the skulls out. I thought the wild boar and cow's skulls were too big.
    We had a horse skull in our English class, and I helped my English teacher collect a few teeth. (no I cannot complain about morbid stuff)