Dutch Artist Turns Dead Cat into Helicopter!

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Sparrow, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    This has got to be the coolest damn thing I've seen in a long, long time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...copter-dubbed-orvillecopter-article-1.1089478

His cat 'Orville' was run over by a car... then he had his unfortunate feline gutted to make room for a radio control receiver, gyro, and other mechanical workings to turn it into a helicopter, a real helicopter that flies!

I love modern art, especially when it's done with humor.

2. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    bwahahaaa that is great.. even tho I could never do that to my cat (he looks exactly the same) even tho I hate the little pest :p

kinda wrong tho.. I remember reading an article about a so called artist tying a dog up with a metal wire in an art gallery and left him to starve to death and that was considered art. these people should be shot.

3. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Yeah, when I first watched the pussy cat flying in an open field chasing birds and cows on a CNN news report, of all places, I thought this ain't art so much as a guy getting a bunch of attention for doing something that's outrageously in bad taste. But I think it's so totally ridiculous that it makes it almost okay... like laughing at something that you know you really shouldn't be laughing at. :)

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Something similar happened in Belgium. Art student Yann Bronder searches for kittens for her final project. She claims to have already killed the kittens she received and used their fur in her 'art'.
    According to her, her teachers agreed, but they later denied giving their approval.
    They claim that Yann moved her workshop and they could no longer check on what she was doing.
    When asked why she did it she responded: "Everyone finds it normal rats are captured and slain. A kitten that dies for art isn't . Why not? Because a rat is an ugly animal and a cat a sweet creature?"

5. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Sometimes these artists do it just for the attention - and heck they know it works, even if its only short term. Generally I view it rather low since its not done to really promote the animal rights, but rather to promote the artist and "get their name out there". (this applies to those that specifically seek out and either contribute directly to the death of or the extension/use of suffering for their art).

And yet oddly I've no problem with my leather walking boots --- life is confusing at times.

As for the helicat - eh - I'll never understand taxidermists ;)

6. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    great idea, this one ^^

On a personal level, I really don't have any trouble with animal death in favour of art. Cruelty is a bit different - but I wouldn't really exclude it on beforehand as one cruelty is not the other.

And no. I reallly have no problem with this cat flying around. I can't find anything wrong with it, really.

7. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I think it's disgusting. Why would anyone want to make a dead creature an object of amusement?

8. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    What, why? It's not like the cat cares or anything?

I mean "we asked the cat - it didn't really object"

9. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Lol, funny... But hey does that mean that if you're dead I can make a helicopter out of you?

10. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I don't have particular use for my body after I'm dead. I mean, I still have a romantic (if rather odd) fantasy of falling into decay and being eaten by all sorts of crawlers 6 feet under. It's a bit of a tradition and, yes, I rather like that thought. But that's a bit of an afterthought regardless.

I could, however, imagine my family would object. I think they have use for my body, like having comfort in the knowledge that it is safely tucked away 6 feet under. Whether or not they would want to imagine that it is being reduced to compost and bones is for them to decide. I would say that, if anything, I wouldn't want to rob them of that comfort by being turned into a helicopter, remote or not.

11. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Those mad Dutch!
    And those mad Flemish!

Weird. To me the killing of kittens is bad because there's no reason to it. But if we had to simply look at killing kittens and killing rats without any past history of them doing anything bad, then I see no difference. Still shouldn't be done though.

But the cat is bad taste and just stupid. I can't imagine the guy'll use it that much and it'll just be some horrible thing lying around.

12. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Good think the cat died regardless of this helicopter ^^

Yeah. I mean, it's not like I can't imagine how people feel it's bad taste to make a bionic cat that has propellers for feet. It's just not how things are intended to be. And it sort of seeks to break a taboo on both furry, cuddly creatures and death.

Sure, there is no arguing about taste, or so a dutch saying goes. However, can I invite you to further seek out your repulsion and bring it under words? Im rather curious :)

13. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I find that if he loved the cat he wouldn't have done that but just buried it in a shoe box.
    He's created a toy that he's going to play with and that others are going to see and probably play with. This toy was built out of a living creature that is bread to live with humans and nothing else. We have ethics concerning humans but never animals (well a few concerning testing products).
    I know that no law could be passed against it, but I just find that it's not morbid but bad for the memory of the cat and useless.

He should just get drunk, not sell any of his art, be dumped by his girlfriend and cut his ear off then die unknown, only to be spat upon this time and have none of his cat-related stuff sold. (OK, that was a bit strong but I want to make a point, and Van Gogh is just an example)

14. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Interesting choice of words. Memory of the cat. If cats do have memories, I'm rather sure it wouldn't carry much beyond the contact with the car fender that turned out to be fatal. People, however, have memory of that cat. So, if anything, I would deduce that human empathy for that cat is unsettling for you.

I would want to point out that cattle, pigs, chickens, horses, dogs and a few other creatures were bred to live with humans as well. They're all domesticated. And yet, we don't care about eating most. Cultures can't even agree about which are for eating and which are for keeping. You must agree that the whole thing is rather arbitrary and must have more to do with culture and rearing than law or some sort of morbidity scale.

15. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    The memory of the cat is what people remember of it (I forgot it doesn't translate into dutch).

And as to cows, pigs, horses... they weren't bred to be companions to man, but living *tools*. The cat is a companion, but cows pigs and horses are bred for meat (those that are slaughtered). They're still not turned into helicopters though.

And it doesn't disturb me, it just annoys me really.

16. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    You will be corrected on the horse meat :)

My point is that the memory of the cat lives with people, not with the cat. Or other cats for that matter. In that way, it hurts people much more than it does that cat, its relatives, or catdom in general. It appears to be a problem of the complex human mind (or our society - I'm sure our society has something to do with it...). You want a law against this type of behaviour, may I remind you. Why? Is the life (and death) of a cat too close a proxy of our own? Should we be barred - or protected? - from the memento mori it presents? Should our empathy towards cats prevail above our ability to relativize?

17. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

If anything bothers me about the story, it's that I don't feel the artist is sincere.

I think he turned his dead cat into a toy helicopter for no other reason than it was a way to gain celebrity, his "15 minutes of fame" as it were... which of course was a phrase coined by American pop artist Andy Warhol. I suppose whether it's a soup can or a stuffed cat doesn't matter much in the end.

18. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I'm saying the exact opposite Tur! It's the memory of the humans for the cat that are important. And I'm saying that there shouldn't be a law, but that it should be seen badly and not praised (as did the news).
    I'm of Sparrow's opinion but just said it differently.

And horses are bred for meat (a few are), but they're bred to be used, and when they're useless then they can be eaten. They've been bred for those functions (I love horses, but that's what it's like though).

19. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    lol.

I think that it is art. I mean, superficially, it seems that making a quadricopter out of a cat is completely daft. And, to me, pretty damn funny. And then it is making you wonder whether this is to be enjoyed, considering the fact that you're looking at a dead, mutilated cat which was in no way intended to fly. And if cats were, it certainly wasn't in this way. By that friction alone, it's art in my book.

Of course, this guy had a few beers and a good laugh over this concept. But the fact that he did it - and the fact that we are discussing it - makes it art in my book. The rest is up for consideration.

Edit: Looky. It even falls into my own definition of art ^^

Aaand another Edit to prevent double postage:

So I think we agree - sort of. It's our problem that we value the cat so highly, so people should be prevented from this cat getting anything other than a proper burial. I mean, I can imagine the emotion, but then must conclude that the empathy is by proxy and virtual. Therefore, I feel I must reject it :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  20. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I just think that art is being taken to extremes since the surrealists and action painters and everything, and that many people just want to do something that will catch the critics' attention.

It'll be called amazing whilst it really isn't anything (I do appreciate some modern art, but some things are stupid and overrated) and shouldn't be shown in such a good light.
    Now I believe that some people might just warp that idea of a flying corpse and do something worse.