Dueling Sabers - what blade to use?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by General Kenobi, Mar 31, 2006.

1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Jedi Master

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been Working on a project recently trying to make fairly accurate lightsabers for wich to duel with.. However i frequently seem to have trouble finding a suitable blade that wont break. Does anyone know what we could possibly use to as a blade???

2. Darth Qui-gon

Darth Qui-gon Man its good to be back

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Re: Dueling

So nobody know what we could use that wouldnt break??

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0

unbreakable glass...plexi glass...still it could break....I've seen a fight that was really perfect...it was an fx fight, but they fought so first the choreography was perfect, so they wouldn't break their sabers and so their movement and clashes would match the sound they were playing from a cd. That was awesome!

4. Darth Qui-gon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

so the force Fx sabers are pretty strong?? cause i would hate to break it

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0

No they are not pretty strong...you can give a good bash on a wall, but really fighting would surely damage it for good. No this fight was just good played so it "looked" like a tough fight, like they were really going for it. But they weren't really hitting their sabers so hard. It only sounded and looked that way

6. Darth Qui-gon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

which leaves us back at square one, lol

7. §oul Bane

§oul Bane Active Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

Pipe? Plexi glass? ....Metal?

8. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0

With increased strenght comes added weight. Lightsaber fights look cool because they're fast and you can do tricky spins and twirls etc. Steel pipe with say 2-4mm thick walls would be damn strong, but would slow you down.

The movie sabers used aluminium tube blades so they were really fast and light, but being aluminium, they broke regularly. Being comparitively cheap, and hvaing lots of money, they just removed the broken blade and popped in a new one. I'm guessing they maybe threaded the tubing so it could be secured and removed without pins or rivets.

From what little I know, plexiglass isn't really good for impact absorption, and would possibly be a bit heavier than you'd think as well.

Cheap white plastic tubing is light and cheap and eaisly replacable. A friend of mine makes up cheapo lightsaber sof rus to play with using polycarb tubing, they're quite bendy but light and fast and don't hurt so much when you hit fingers. It does split after a while, but just undo the screw, remove the dead blade and pop in a new one. A rubber cap on the end makes the tip safer too.

I don't know of a perfect answer. If you want light and fast and cheap(ish), I'd say go for aluminium piping and don't smash each other as hard as possible.

If you want durable and never breaks, steel pipe would do it, but it'd be heavier and slower, and if you hit each other accidentally with steel, you could do some serious damage. Aluminium will still bust fingers, so imagine steel.....

9. Malek Rahl

Malek Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would use wood, its blunt so u wont hurt anyone, its sturdy too, and its what Armies in the medevil times used for practice, u could laminate it, paint it neon green or red and boom

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0

well yes in the movie they used alluminium coloured blades (depending on the background, some even thought that Anakin would have a red saber just because the blade he used was red, obviously they were wrong:D) But yeah they bent or break a lot, but with a movie like star wars that isn't a problem with a huge budget;)

11. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I renamed the thread's title to be "Dueling Sabers - what blade to use?" in the hope of avoiding confusion with the "Lightsaber Duelling" thread.

Wood makes a good practise sword in the chunkier varieties ie japanese, european, but lightsabers need a light, thin, almost weightless blade in comparison to the handle, because speed is of the essence. And with speed comes increased hitting force. Even those trained to hit lightly find it hard to go 100% speed and still maintain light contact. For slower stuff, it's great but I don't think wood would be very good for full speed Star Wars style duelling.