Duel Music

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by stevenlink1, Jan 10, 2007.

1. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This weekend I'm shooting a lightsaber with some friends and peers of mine. The fight is for a commercial that my school will show on its video announcements, ensuring that my video has a substantial audience. Because this audience will consist of a bunch of unintelligent highschool teenagers, I want to use a contemporary song for the background music, rather than an classical piece.

What contemporary song do you think would serve nicely as background music for a lightsaber fight?

2. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Well persoanlly I can't think of any, I think it would be best to use a John Williams piece from the movies. Because Ive seen too many lightsaber fights with Metallica and such music playing, and they just completely suck.

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    yes I suggest that it should be something tragic rather than metal or rap, cause that really sucks

4. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Oh I agree, metal is definitely out of the question. I'm just looking for some song written within the last 5 years or so that would be acceptable to modern culture while still possing the elements of excitement necessary for a good fight.

5. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Like I said, for this purpose i dont think any SONG would suit, would just cheapen it don't you think?

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I would also not recommend the use of lotr music...I don't say the music is bad but it's so cliché...I mean it's star wars try to be creative and dont look only to lotr, cause I've seen so many clips of star wars with lotr music and vice versa

7. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I think he means a song, not a classical sounding piece........ The only piece of music from a song that I have heard fit a battle scene is from Gangs of New York, the beginning battle which has "Signal to Noise" by Peter Gabriel....... Fantastic music, modern yet fits the idea of combat.

8. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Come on Anakin, I'm not an idiot. The lotr music is far too recognizable, a trait which I am very much trying to avoid with the background music. Besides, there is often a distinct difference in the music written for fast pace duels (ex: Anakin and Obi Wan) and that which is written for epic battles (as in lotr). The latter is just too slow in my opinion. What I'm basically going for is a very much Ryan Wieber esque type of fan film. Neither I nor my opponent will wear costumes, and neither of us will have a red lightsaber. You may think such an aberration to Lucas' creation of the lightsaber to be appaling, but I think that to imitate Star Wars with our fight would be a true insult to those excellent movies.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  9. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Alright, I found the perfect music. I'm going to use "Smack My B**ch Up" by The Prodigy. I'll cut out what few lyrics there are, and I find that the music is fast-paced enought to carry the fight, while light enough in tone to portray the mood I'm going for. Sombre fanfilms are so cliche.

10. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    aww jeez, I'm porbably too late >_<
    Look, using that song in a fight scene is almost as cliche as using Duel of Fates. Not all metal songs are bad for a lightsaber fight, even though most of them are. Try finding a good metal song that only has music or very little lyrics. If you still have time to change the music, pick something like The Breaking Wheel (Artillery), Jordan (Bucket Head), or Thunder Horse (Dethklok).

11. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You're not too late, as post production is taking several months. the prodigy might be cliche, but when I heard "Smack My B**ch Up", I knew that it had EXACTLY the tone that I wanted for the fight. If you find another song with that tone, please do tell me about it.

12. SunBane

SunBane New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    sorry, I dont listen to shitty music =/

13. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Tone is not dependent on the genre of music. You could find a classical piece that has the same tone as a metal piece, because tone is way that the writer feels about what is taking place. For example, when you hear the Uruk-Hai theme in Lord of the Rings, the tone that exists is one which regards the uruks as tough and terrifying.

14. DeadBoromir

DeadBoromir REAL AMERICAN PIZZA!

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    You're looking for duel music? Take the classical Captain Kirk duel music! I know, it doesn't fit, but it's funny. :p

15. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I guess so.

I've also been listening to OK Go as of late. If anyone knows of a song of theirs (besides Here It Goes Again) that has a fast-paced tempo (very much like in Here It Goes Again), please let me know.

16. Raptor

Raptor Velociraptor Mongolinesis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There are a lot of up-beat classical pieces, athlough they probably won't be what you want, you should at least look at some.

17. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The video I was making is finished, and it's going up on google video next week.