Druid's trip to Scotland (West Highland Way)

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Druid of Lûhn, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Here are a selection of the pictures I took whilst walking the West Highland Way (a mere 96 miles) in Scotland this July (in chronological order):

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is where we camped on the second night:

[​IMG][​IMG]

A really nice bunkhouse; converted church with a bistro in the roof:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The valley on the left is where they filmed the part on the road in Scotland in “Skyfall”:
    [​IMG]

These two pictures are 32-bit and were darkened by Photobucket for some reason:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ben Nevis:

[​IMG]

Moonrise on the last night (also darkened by Photobucket, as the mountains were actually red with the setting sun):

[​IMG]

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Wow, beautiful landscape... a hiker's dream!

4. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Those pics are amazing Druid.. thanks for sharing! I think the pic of the graveyard is my favourite. :)
    The flora there almost looks like it could be from here, except there are way fewer trees.

5. Emerlas

Emerlas Emerz

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    wonderful!! wonderful!! wonderful!!
    I love every picture there, Scotland is such a lovely landscape
    well done on the pictures druid!
    :)

6. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OMG I LOVE your pics!!!! Especially those darkened by photobucket and that 32-something :p, simply amazing!! gets me longing to go back again :). Did you visit any castles?? I love the Scottish castles. And did you climb the ben nevis as well? I climbed it last year and couldn't walk for two days lol :p, inexperienced hiker...

7. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Thank you :)

@Sparrow: the West Highland Way is a beautiful walk and apparently can be found by typing “best hikes in the world” into Google.

@SJ Faerlind: the reason for the lack of trees (most of those you see are planted by humans) is that they were all cut down really early on to act as fuel in the cold. After that they had to use peat.

@Emerlas: yes, a really beautiful place. And I'm going to study there in September! :D

@Beldaran: I did not go up, because of the heat (30°C), which we'd also had the previous day and was horrible. I love the cold and cannot stand the heat at all. My parents did go up though, because when they tried years ago, the weather was too bad and they had to turn back. The left at 6:15 am and it took them 7 hours. Some people run it in just under 1 hour though :eek:
    I figured that seeing as I'll be in Scotland for 5 the next 5 years, I'll definitely have another chance. They got some awesome pictures though.
    As to castles: no; we were walking. I have visited Edinburgh castle and the castle at St Andrews separately though. But I've visited castles in Belgium, France, England and Wales too, and apart from the châteaux, they're all quite similar.

8. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well it wouldn't be a good idea I guess climbing it in that kind of weather :p. Last year I had 21C and a lot of sunshine and halfway up I could run my finger across my forehead and have a thin layer of salt on my fingertip :p. and yes...the running folks are totally crazy, there are a lot of them though..
    they're indeed quite similar but very beautiful in my opinion :), well not all of them..but a lot of them :D.

9. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    All those trees cut down for firewood, huh? :(
    Is any/all of that land farmed at all or just left as grassland?

10. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Well, Scotland has been inhabited for a very, very long time and it gets quite cold up there.

Farm!? In Scotland!?

Scotland is just about only pasture land; the farms were only little ones that would have allowed people to get by when they couldn't get their sheep to markets.
    In the 19th century, a huge amount of the Highlands were stripped of villages and farms to allow for more sheep. The people that livd there weren't too happy, but they were violently kicked out.