Drugs in fantasy?

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by SteamBoy, Aug 16, 2017.

1. SteamBoy

SteamBoy Crazy tinkerer and alchemist

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, yes, the fantasy does not have to be like reality, but that does not imply that it can not be realistic.

Fantasy is not synonymous with surrealism. A fantasy work can be extremely realistic or technical and, if it keeps the necessary resources, like magic, it will remain fantasy.
    Good examples are Harry Potter, Discworld and the genre of technomagics (a fusion of steampunk and fantasy, sometimes including cyberpunk).

Anyway, my question is whether the drugs to appear in the fantasy, and in what works and what kind of drugs.
    I am not referring to the typical/popular soft drugs (alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee...) but to drugs, fictitious or real, comparable with the LSD, marijuana and cocaine :oops:

Some types of potions of fantasy can be considered like drugs, if these have psychotropical, nootropical or narcotic (causes addiction, regulates emotions) effects :redpotion:
    Please avoid speak about typical potions like potions of love and strength, since these are very know.
    Then... what are these and in which works do these appear?

The truth would be interesting the idea of a wizard "narcomancer" whose "magic" would be based on drugs...
    Does something similar appear in a fantasy work?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I know it's a bit cliche, but Skooma would probably fall under the definition of a drug, as would moonsuger, which is used to make Skooma lol. Other then that, pipe weed from most common fantasies could very well be marijuana

3. R.E.M. Verberg

R.E.M. Verberg New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In 'Hope and Red' by Jon Skovron, coral spice seems to act in a similar way to cocaine.

The denner raisin described in The Kingkiller Chronicles is much like heroin.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    All of my D&D characters seem to be alcoholics, even though I'm not.

5. L. S. Blades

L. S. Blades Indie Author, The Rings Of The Lords

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Interesting topic! Well it's interesting you ask about it now, as I've personally been working on, and debuted the first book of my series, and yes; it does feature reference to and use of drugs, and more specifically, the main wizard protagonist in my book actually uses 'alternative' substances whenever things get difficult. At the moment this mostly involves marijuana, but other known drugs will play a part as my series progresses. This is hinted in the first poster I've designed;
    [​IMG]

6. Lanifer

Lanifer Fantasy obsessed

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In "Wizard's First Rule" Zed likes to get high by liking toads. In "Out of Oz" there is a huge assortment of drugs, all types of drugs, being used, and even in "Alice in Wonderland" the Caterpillar like to smoke something that resembles opium... so I don't think is much of a new trend to include drugs and their use in fantasy. However, finding the right drug to include in a story, that's the trick, I think.

7. MattII

MattII Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Pratchett sort of skirted drugs (aside from alcohol and tobacco) for humans and dwarves, but came up with a number for trolls. Of course something to think about with drugs is that they sometimes have good uses. Morphine (and to a degree other opioids) f.e. is a good painkiller provided you're careful, as is cannabis from what I hear. Mind you, they do have a version of alcohol made from so-called reannual plants, which age backwards in time, giving you headache some time before you drink the stuff.