Drones and the future

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by AlphaAlex, Oct 8, 2015.

1. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    Okay so this firstly:

Now, I understand the 'air drone pollution' - in a matter of speaking; in the the US with drones now-days but I would like to hear peoples thoughts on drones performing basic tasks. Is it good? Will it take away jobs? Is it making us more lazy and will we become too dependent on machines for our basic needs? ie buy our food shopping online and a drone takes our food in bags to our house..
    In the first video they talk about making a drone into a human vehicle.. but will that be necessary in the long run for most transport? Imagine hover trucks, hover freight trains. Hover buses etc. With the so-called smart car being developed without the need for a human driver, is this good or bad?
    Would like thoughts on the matter.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I suppose if this drone delivered my pizza, I'd be okay with that... I'll just order one medium pizza with olives, and mice.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    I was wondering how long the cat copter would take to fly into this thread. Answer? One post.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Pinkduckie

Pinkduckie Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I don't know that much about drones but how could it be a bad idea. The whole problem I have with electronics and machines is the lack of social contact. Everyone rather sits behind his/her computer, chatting on facebook or playing a game instead of going out for a drink, playing board games...

As for the smart car/ self-driving car, I believe there will be a (near) future where few(er) people will own a car but instead use a taxi because it will be much cheaper (no need to pay the driver).

5. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    my issue with non military drones is simple. Civilians do not debug to the same extent that the military do, nor do civilian servers receive the same maintenance
    upon release windows 10 had a 45% fail rate, skype recently dropped for over 2 days due to server errors, most every online mmo experiences either massive lag/timeout errors or drops intermittently. (star trek online, neverwinter online, swtor used as examples)
    until the civilian sector is able to guarantee services, computers should not be used to control flying machines going through/over the cities

Edit: i do not include aircraft in this list, they are stringently controlled by multiple federal bodies the world over.

6. MattII

MattII Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Well in certain time-critical situations (like cardiac arrest cases), drones will be very good, because even automated vehicles can't travel as the crow flies like drones could.

I mean, if you want to get from say, the John Hopkins Bayview Medical Centre in Baltimore to the Parkside Shopping Centre, it's a distance of ~2.2 mi by air, but not less than 3.1 mi by road, so the drone can make the journey, at the same speed, in a little over 2/3 the time, and less if the roads aren't clear and your ambulance isn't ignoring all traffic signals at intersections.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016