Dragons and...stuff

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Rigels, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Rigels

Rigels New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, guys! I just published a book through amazon KDP(It's also available on paperback) and i'm trying to promote it. Here's a small synopsis in case you are interested:

Nesto aspires to become an exceptional hunter, like his uncle, but, because of a strange mark on his body, he ends up becoming the hunted one, instead.
    That was why his elder brother, Almar, decided to join the Order of the Lords, so that he could earn the same title as the heroes who were bestowed with the fiery power of the ancient gods and slew the vicious dragons. To gain the power needed to protect Nesto from the unknown forces that wanted him dead.
    Or, at least, that’s what his uncle claims – his brother never actually returned to their village. Under Almar’s instructions, Nesto is to follow in his brother’s footsteps and undergo the ritual to accept the flame of the gods inside his body. To learn how to control that burning power – capable of reducing his body to ashes – and overcome the impossible trials in order to obtain the title and the protection it grants. Oh, and all that, while he keeps his mark hidden, of course.
    The hard part begins when he finds out that the unknown force that wants him dead is actually the Order of the Lords.

Title: Tower Of The Lords - The Rise Of The Dragons (written by Rigels Lamce) - All comments are welcome.
    I'm not posting any links because i'm not sure if it's allowed.

2. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    well best promo would be no offer a free book ,and if the reader would appreciate it ,he would buy it along the way..of course if you are new to the business of writing. No offence, but every time when someone " promotes " his book with short intro I get the same generic fantasy vibe....

3. Rigels

Rigels New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a good suggestion. I'm actually thinking of making a free book promotion on kindle for approximately 5 days, but i'm a bit hesitant. Because if i price my book at $0 then the readers might think that it's not worth reading(i know i would).

4. Rigels

Rigels New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I only have 9 reviews so far(mostly 5 stars) but the last one really made my day!!:D

"I dont usually review books. Mostly, because i dont bother to, but after reading the sample prologue i couldnt stop myself from instantly going back and buying it. From i gathered from the first page -because thats all anyone has to read to be instantly sucked in- the author is very graphic, detailing everything and describing the scene in such a well written way its almost impossible not to feel the tension, the fear and fleeting hope the opening characters feel.

In other words, very good style of writing, its clear the author spent his time editing and proofreading to make a story that is not only captivating but that stays in your mind even after you put the book down -which you wont want to do.

P.S. 9gag brought me here, and boy am i glad it did. 8/8 would recommend m8. Keep it up!!"

What else could i ask for?:p

5. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Book promotion is really hard. Even if you have a publisher backing you it can be an uphill road.

I am not sure freebies are that great. Many times you get lots of page hits to the book sale pages and yet nobody buys it or downloads it (for cheap or even for free). And even if you get many downloads from the freebies, many people does not read them after download or does not spread the word at all after reading them. When the book goes viral, it hits hard... but it is very hard to get viral.

When you are not backed by a publisher, it is even harder, because people presumes you are a bum and that is the reason you don have a publisher. When I did self-publishing, I got some pity-sales in my starts from people who just wanted to be merciful. When they sent me letters with their opinions, they used to be in the lines: "I just bought the book because I was sad for you, I thought it was not going to be good. But I am surprised, it is awesome".

So, good luck. You are going to need it.

And congratulations for the publication!

6. Rigels

Rigels New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your kind words, man... or horse:). Are you still trying to promote your book, or have you given up on it?(just wondering)

7. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    w8 what how did you got here from 9gag? link/post some description

8. Rigels

Rigels New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tried to promote my book through 9gag with a meme, the one that gave me that review probably saw it on 9gag.

9. Rigels

Rigels New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, most of my reviews are from 9gag...

10. Daughter of Hell

Daughter of Hell damosel in distress

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    You need to find a literary agent. Seriously, there's no other way to do it anymore.

11. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My horses think I am one of them :)

I stopped my promotion efforts regarding my original self-published books when I managed to translate one and have it published by a traditional publishing company in the US. I am now promoting The Flaming Wrath of Arelor for the US market only at this point.

Self-publishing is just not cost effective in most cases, at least for common fantasy. Benefit/effort ratio is too bad. It can take years of work to get something distributable, then it takes a long of time to create a marketing plan and a lot of time to sustain it (online and in meatspace). When you compare the time you have spent with the results you get, you discover your earnings per hour are way below minimum wage. Growing potatoes is just more profitable, useful and fulfilling than self-publishing.

Traditional publishing is a bit better because they take much of the economic and marketing burden. They also prevent people from thinking that you are a loser because you had to self-publish. However, traditional publishing does not guarnatee commertial or personal success at all, it just guarantees the matter will be handled professionally.

12. Daughter of Hell

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    Your mares think you're a stallion, or your stallions think you're a mare? Neither is really "better," but one sounds much less painful than the other...

13. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The hierarchy in a horse herd works as a matriarchy, in which the boss is the most respected mare.

My mares know I am the boss, and I am one of the herd. Hence, my mares think I am a very wise mare :) Or something like that.

14. Daughter of Hell

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
  15. Dragonsfang

Dragonsfang New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, [Richard Falken ] I enjoyed your post about your horse's . Have you heard of Kinzurdia before? Its a dark teen fantasy that involves magik, witches, dragons, shifters, and much more. Google it, I already downloaded the author's free preview and i cant wait for the book to be in my hands. I'm I in the right post please help me out hear I sen it had Dragon's and stuff .