Dojo anyone?

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Gavaha, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Who here is apart of a Dojo? If so, can you tell us what you learn(type) and what it is?

2. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not presently involved in a Dojo, but I have done Funikoshi Karate, and a little bit of Ju-Jitsue and Taekwondo. Next semester in school I am taking an Aikido course. I wish I would have been able to be more focused on one specific style, but I live in a small town, and I kinda just have to take what I can get.

3. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    thats still cool, I have not done some of that, so can you tell me if there is any real difference?

4. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My brother does Taekwondo hes pretty good actually but i never have the time to join a dojo even though he says its fun

5. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In martial arts, more depends on the teacher than on the art itself. Many people think that Karate and Taekwondo are similer, and in some ways they are. I personally had a great Karate teacher though and his method of teaching included traditional Karate, and modern street fighting/self defence, as well as some weapon training. I learned great self defence from him, as well as many other things that come with any martial art, such as discipline and self control.
    Taekwondo I did not like nearly as much, because, at least here in the US, most TKD schools seem to be much more focused on the sporting applications, than they do with the practical applications. But again, this depends on your instructor. My instructor was really good, and will probably be going to the Olympics in 2004, but I dont like sporting martial arts as much as real self defence.
    Taekwondo is also a lot more focused on kicking techniques, where Karate usually uses hands and other parts of the body more.

Ju-Jitsu is cool, but it is not the style that personally fits me very well. It is great self defence if you can use it though. Ju-Jitsu uses very little kicks or punches, and instead uses throws and choke holds. Ju-Jitsu is like Judo for street fighters, very brutal, but very effective.

This semester in school I took a Korean style of swordfighting, but I cant for the life of me remember what it is called, I wil have to get back to you guys on that.

I have also visited a few other classes, including San Soo Kung Fu, Shaolin Kung Fu, and an American Ninjitsu class.

Sorry to cut it off like this, but I just looked at the time, and realized that I have to go finish studying for my finals! (Calculus, we hates's it!)

I will post more later.

6. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ive been trained in ATA TKD and im studying aikido now for more unarmed training. All my armed traing ceoms from SCA styled stick combat and Rapier
    korean sword fighitn gis called Haidong Gumdo.

7. gohekan

gohekan The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i am a 5th degree blackbelt in TKD.It took me about 2 and a half years for each black belt.Ive started on Haidong Gumdo and im getting quite good.But TKD is focused on manely these 5 things:Courtacy,Integrity,Perserverance,Self Control and Indominable Spirit.But if you wich to see no mercy or justice in your fighting then join ninjitsu.Ninjitsu is an excelent way to learn the way of the Assasin.How i know u ask,well i have a friend who is a blackbelt ninjitsuist and as brutal as he has become and as he says , he has become my ultimate adversary.