Does playing an awesome videogame relate to reading a good book?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Ainuudar, Dec 4, 2006.

?

Is reading a good book the same as playing a good rpg game?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    64.6%
  1. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    Most video games aren't nearly as satisfying as finishing a book. MOST.

Finishing Mass Effect for the first time was the most satisfying gaming experience ever, and was easily on par at least with finishing a good book.

Also, finishing Halo 3 was incredibly satisfying.

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Problem solving. Well the first one that jumps in my head was in KOTOR. You had to move certain blocks from left to right. But they all had disadvantages. Something like that the red block wouldn't move if it was on top of the yellow one and much more complicated. So you had to figure out a complex path how you could move these blocks (was some kind of energy source) got from the left one to the right one, which required to move these blocks from right to the left or to the middle. It doesn't take a genius to solve this problem but it was a decent challenge. This puzzle was also used in some station in the first Mass Effect game. Probably because KOTOR and ME are from the same makers.

3. ScreenXSurfer

ScreenXSurfer Better Than You

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I read books for the story and for the fact that it makes me think. Not all books do this. A lot of games do this.

It's simply information being spread through a different medium. I don't know how one can be better than the other unless we're not considering the information.

4. Tabris

Tabris 11.11.11

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I voted no. I love both playing games and reading books, and there are some games that has stories so good it could match many books I've read. But the experience isn't the same. As others have said, in a game, it's all visualised, but in a book you have to imagine everything yourself. I would compare it more to watching a good movie. I remember thinking that when I first played FF-X - I felt like I could take part in a great, interactive movie.