Does anyone live in a city?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crouton, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Does anybody else here live in a big city?

I ask that because I have been living in one now for about 7 or 8 months. And while I do enjoy it the quality of the air is really starting to get to me. Even when I go back to my hometown which is a much smaller city I feel like I can actually breathe. Then when I go out to the country I just wish I could bottle the air up and take it with me. Here everything always smells like fumes or cigarette smoke. I don't even want to know the amount of toxins I inhale each day just by walking down the street.

I don't smoke, but everyone else here does. And smokers in this city are rude and smoke into other peoples faces. They won't go and smoke off in a quiet corner or alley, they smoke as they walk down really busy city streets with their smoke going into everyone else's faces. I can't even sit in my own room with my bedroom window open for 1 hour without my whole room filling up with cigarette smoke about 4 times from people on other balconies. Which now means I can't open my window at all so I can never get fresh air in my room. I'm a non smoker but I'm pretty sure I inhale the equivalent of a pack of smokes every week in this place.

I don't even want to think about what it must be like for people who live in big cities like New York for their whole life. I miss air!

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I live in the city, and smoke... and could not give a good god damn about the air quality of other people.

3. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Haha yah. It's people like you are are responsible for the increase in lung-cancer of non-smokers via second hand smoke. Well done.

4. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

How many pounds overweight are you, and how much worrying do you do?.. being overweight and stressed are known to increase the odds of heart disease and many other ailments.

In all likelihood it won't be the second-hand smoke that gets you.

I smoke cigarettes, you eat junk food... pick your poison.

5. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I live in a city of a little over three million people. Our smokers just aren't that rude. They do go outside to smoke, and generally into well-ventilated areas. I can't say I have a terrible problem with smokers.

While I rarely notice the air quality in the city, I do notice the improved quality whenever I manage to get out of the city.

6. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    And we all smoke carbon monoxide from cars and lords know what is in the air that comes out of holidaymakers holidaying by jet aircraft!

In the end for me its not so much air quality but just the - GAH Soo many people and such of cities. Never live in one and decided that if I can get away with it I never will. It's just too big a crush of people; of noise; of smell and of surfaces (everything is "sticky").

As for smokers I wish they'd all go back to pipes! Not only does it look more classy but pipe smoke never has that harsh acidy smell to it that cig smoke does. I can endure typical pipe smoke without worries (least so long as I'm not being blocked into a room chocked with it!) but cig smoke gah!

7. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Oh I'll bet! There's a brown haze on the horizon over TO on humid summer mornings that I can see driving into work sometimes....scary!

8. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I'm actually a healthy weight for my height and age, and have a good BMI. Since I am vegetarian I hardly ever eat junk food since most of it is meat and I swim for exercise three times a week. So maybe you should keep such comments to yourself before making them. And actually. Now that I think about it I recently went to the doctors for a checkup and my blood pressure and blood work was top notch.

Greybeard - I know what you mean. A lot of the problem is with my city. I've been to many other cities myself and rarely have I ever seen as many rude smokers as in Melbourne. They just seem to never move out of the way to smoke. I don't have a problem with smokers as long as they smoke away from other people. But here people are constantly blowing their smoke into everyone else, including children!

Overread - That's why I said in my first post fumes and cigarette smoke. By fumes I meant car fumes. It's also a problem. The only place I feel like I can almost get air in this city is the botanical gardens. And even then it's nothing like country air.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  9. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I eat pretty unhealthy but that doesn't give off an intolerable fume. The only way smoking is justified is that it makes people look cool. It only works from distances or in movies though, once I get a whiff the smoker becomes my unholy enemy and I make sure to send them a glare.

10. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Eating unhealthy also doesn't effect other people, only yourself. If you walk down a busy street with a lit cigarette in your hand your toxic smoke is blowing into the faces of dozens of men, women and children all around you. If you eat a big mac.... you eat a big mac. It doesn't shoot fat into the mouths of other people.

11. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I find that hard to believe... in fact it seems all you ever do is worry and complain about stuff.

Second-hand smoke is good for you. It toughens up the lungs.

12. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    The same way getting shot in the head toughens your skull.

13. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    The idea that anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger does seem true often but in some instances it isn't at all. I wonder if there is actually any research on second-hand smoke exposure with results like this.

14. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Maybe that's because it's the internet, and this is a discussion forum. So if I have some concerns about anything of course I would discuss it online with people as I find it interesting to see other peoples ideas on a topic. You have no idea what I am like in every day life.

And second hand smoke is good for you in the same way that being stabbed in chest is good for you... it isn't.

"Nonsmokers exposed to secondhand smoke absorb the same 4,000 chemical compounds that smokers do. More than 60 of these compounds are known or suspected to cause cancer.

Each year, in the United States alone, secondhand smoke is responsible for about 40,000 deaths from heart disease, and about 3,000 lung-cancer deaths"

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/effects-of-secondhand-smoke

In fact. Reading "second hand smoke is good for you" may be one of the single most idiotic comments I have ever seen on the internet. And that's saying something.

15. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I guess you can't really build up an immunity to toxicity. Radiation, smoke, and bullets function much more differently than a virus.

16. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it's pretty hard to build up an immunity to the stuff that's in cigarettes. Just to name some of the chemicals:

Hydrogen cyanide -- a highly poisonous gas used in chemical weapons and pest control
    Benzene -- a component of gasoline
    Formaldehyde -- a chemical used to embalm corpses
    Carbon monoxide -- a poisonous gas found in car exhaust

They are the type of things inhaled by smokers and people inhaling second hand smoke. You cannot build an immunity to toxic chemicals like that.

17. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Second hand smoke did not cause 40,000 deaths due to heart disease, nor 3,000 lung cancer deaths. In fact they have absolutely no way of knowing how much second hand smoke contributes to cancer deaths. It's bad science.

Here's something to think about, Cru, before you get carried away with all the scaremongering.

So Cru, some actual science seems to dismiss your hysteria over second-hand smoke.

18. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Sure you can.. as a species and to some extent as an individual. That also depends on the toxin of course (and I'm defining toxin much like "poison" here and excluding bullets and radiation). Resistance to toxins is simply a matter of having the right body "machinery" to deal with them metabolically and eliminate them before they cause cellular damage. There are tons of examples in the natural world. For example: monarch butterfly caterpillars only feed on milkweed because it's toxic to many birds. Birds learn pretty quickly not to eat the striped caterpillars because of that. Another example: cats can be poisoned if they consume acetominophen (tylenol). It's not that toxic to humans but cats lack the enzymes needed to metabolize it.

Let me also say that deliberately exposing oneself (or anyone else) to toxins strikes me as a tremendously bad idea for obvious reasons and I would never advocate that anybody do that. However, the fact remains that bodies are amazing things and sometimes they find unexpected ways to deal with their environment.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  19. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    That may be the case with those animals but has there even been any study done that proves humans can become immune to the toxins in cigarettes, or even build up a resistance to them? I couldn't find any. I think that if our bodies could do that then there wouldn't be so many millions of adults and children dying every year all over the world from smoking related diseases.

20. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Oh I've never seen any specifically related to smoking that's for sure. I'm speaking in generalities here. From personal experience I can say that both of my parents were heavy smokers. As a kid I had a really bad case of pneumonia and spent a week in the hospital for it. Plus, I had bronchitis every year of my life until the year I moved out of home. I can't prove it was second hand smoke that did it but I have my suspicions.