Do you want to be immortals????

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Aleksandar Boshnakov, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Virgin of spam? xD I've spammed enough not to be

2. Aleksandar Boshnakov

Aleksandar Boshnakov New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Post more??? How much more?? :D :D :D And what is the connection of this with the thread??? :D

3. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    JNK dont need no connection :D that's what makes him JNK.

4. Aleksandar Boshnakov

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  5. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I don't want to be immortal. Humans are rapidly destroying this planet, and one day they will kill it completely. I'd rather not be around to see that happen.

6. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    I would, I'd likely become a monk though and devote myself to learning all that I can. Maybe start a family and be an eternal patriarch and keep the peace within an ever growing line of family members, etc. Of course, this assumes that I'll be more or less 25 biologically forever, if I'd just get more and more senile and weak with every passing year I'll take death. Of course, it will mean that I won't get to go to heaven as soon, but I will be there to witness the second coming, so I suppose it balances out.

I honestly hope that the steam that is being gained by conservation efforts will gain more ground and the damage can be reversed and we won't actually manage to destroy everything.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  7. Aleksandar Boshnakov

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I like this opinion :)

8. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Immortal heh?

How can you contrast being alive to anything at all when you can't be dead? Things would seem a bit bland if the distinction wouldn't be available.

The thing is, really, that, in fact, there will be a time that I won't be here anymore. Come to think of it, zooming out, as it were, there will be lots of time after my existence on earth, especially compared to the time I spend here. In retrospect, earth would seem to have done just fine without me before I was born. For a long time. As well. I, in short, am just another speck of dust in the flows of time. Not to mention the flows of space, as it were. To be so egocentric to say that I need immortality is a bit beyond my standing.

... having said that, I would say that, having used up an important part of my Time, there seems to be suspiciously little of it. Point of interest: the time I've already had doesn't seem to grow. In contrast, the time I have left is shrinking at an accelerating rate.

... you know what? Ask me about immortality again in a few decades ;)

9. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    ha ha Tur! I liked that post^^ :D It's strangely comforting to learn that I'm not the only one who thinks that as we get older time seems to speed up.

This is an interesting question because I wonder if people will assume different definitions of the word "immortality". Is the original question asking about our bodies being immortal, or our souls being immortal? Undoubtedly some people won't make a distinction between the two anyway.....
    At any rate the responses have been interesting so far :)

10. Mad hatter

Mad hatter Old member, New account

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +233 / 4 / -0
    I already am

11. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I have actually really thought into this and I'm a bit torn. while I would love to be immortal, even if only so I can do all the stuff I want to do, at the same time I don't want to be, because if I am, there's the off chance that I stop striving for what I want out of life.

12. Mad hatter

Mad hatter Old member, New account

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +233 / 4 / -0
    On a serious note, not without 1 condition. If I was told that I could have my S/O with me, then yes. If it meant giving them up and watching them grow old and perish, then not at all. Id want an eternity with them, or ill continue my current life span

13. GrimWarlock

GrimWarlock Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Ofcourse I would. That is the perfect ticket to my dream - power and knowledge beyond imaginable. I'll eventually become a god by all definitions.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    You would have to live for ever to be able to decide if you enjoyed immortality.
    If you didn't like it, well frankly, it would be a little late by the time you decided !!

15. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    depends on how far the immortality goes. does you being immortal mean that there is no way what so ever for you to die, or is it more 'elfen' immortality where you just don't age and it's nigh impossible to contract life threatening diseases? cause if you're still able to die, albeit through foul play or something like that, then if you don't enjoy it there are ways out of it. if you can't die ever, no matter what happens to you, then yes you're screwed

16. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    ^ Honestly, there can be no such thing as an absolute immortal. The very fact that something exists makes it destructable, one way or another. And yeah - I already know that I'm wishing for something that can bring trouble just as easily as it can bring awesome. Frankly I've already though about it, but I'll still take it anyway, simply because of the possibilities that will be open to me. Now mortals: All hail me - the divine emperor of humanity!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    yea I think it would be awesome if the option existed, though I do know that a few years ago, scientists were discussing the possibility, but I don't know how far into it they've gotten.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    Hate to upset you, however the only thing about your life that is an absolute certainty is that you will die at the end of it !!:(

19. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    ^ You don't really, this is anyways a discussion hipothetical possibilities.
    Also - cheer up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +211 / 2 / -0
    I already know what that feels like. I'm not sure I'd want to be immortal, sure there might be some cool new technology etc but the human race is still the human race which means more war, people still living in poverty, corrupt governments, and people using their imaginary friends in the sky as an excuse to be really crappy to each other. So in reality a lot of the new technology that may come about will probably just enable people to kill vast amounts of other people very quickly before what ever device the other side have got kills vast amounts of them, or as is more likely the case while it kills vast amounts of them. So yeah I'll stick to dying alone and being eaten by my cat thanks