Do you think that God had ever fallen in love?

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Anduil, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I had a convesation with a good friend of mine about God. I know that most people in this forum don't believe in God. But do you think that a God that teaches love , had ever fell in love with anyone? Is this possible? You all know what it is to fall in love with someone. A nice situation for sure sometimes painful but has magical moments as well... Do you think that Christ when came to earth fell in love with a woman... Texts don't say a thing about that... But i would like to hear some opinions dear fellows in fantashy!

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    This is somewhat the big difference between Christianity and many of the "heathen" religions it replaced/overtook/imposed itself over. The fact that God was this other being that was so far above us, so much more than humanity - he wasn't shackled with human weaknesses and the like. So on that count I'd say if God were to have fallen in love he'd have fallen from the lofty seat which the whole concept is based upon; it would lose its mystique of being superior and simply debase God down to human levels - with human judgements and thus open to also the concept of human weakness.
    You can even see this superiority concept in the belief in God as well - that you don't question, don't expect miricals or shows of Gods existence or power, but must accept without question. Again it pushes back toward that model of building a step vastly superior to humanity (something that is somewhat weaker now in some of the mainstream takes on Christianity, but is still very much a part of many of the groups)

This is in stark contrast to the previous gods, Norse, Greek, Roman - who were many much like normal people; having wars, loves, hates, addictions, infatuations; they were much more like super people in their mannerisms and behaviour. Not only that but they were earthly gods in so much that they'd even go as far as to make mistakes, to have errors, or to even steal away humans for their own lusts. But added to that they'd have a much more visual presence in society - thunder, rains, floods etc... - whilst many of these can sometimes be attributed to the Christian God its not in keeping with the belief structure; unlike the other gods where it was not just a natural event, but a clear display of a Gods desire/displeasure/warring with another god etc...

3. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Well apparently he/she/it loves us all, so guess that counts as "falling in love"??

4. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Yea i understand that God doesn't have human passions like the Olympian or the Nordic Gods had, but my point is that He is the God of Love... So if He loves humans is it possible to have that weak spot of loving to much, that's why humans don't count on him?

You see in a human relationship when one is falling in love while the other is not... The one that feels that feeling is the one that suffer... What if God is the one that suffers from being rejected by humans, His creation.

And what do you believe about Christ that became human. Do you think that he fell in love with a woman?

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Coming purely from a viewpoint I don't share in any way, shape, or form... God's love is unconditional, whilst our love is both conditional and mercurial. Our love comes and goes with the wind; God loves you as sinner and saved alike, in all weather and at all times. We feel love, God is Love.

If you believe Jesus was sent to restore our relationship with God, and that Jesus is both fully Holy and Human, than God must know what fear, sorrow, joy, love, really feels like.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  6. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't everyone fall in love at least once in a lifetime except for psychopaths?

7. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    God is not a person, or a sentient being; so therefore he could not fall in love.
    He is love and loves us all, but will not "fall in love."

8. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    So its yes? That he can feel love and other passions

9. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    If we accept that God is the creator of human beings then its impossible to not be able to fall in love... Cause to fall in love is a situation that human can. So if human feelings is created by God then to fall in love and God can be connected...

10. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I believe that psychopaths can fall in love as well! Why can't they?

11. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I would sure hope so; that Jesus is a two-way street allowing us real contact with the Creator, and likewise God through a surrogate knows the human condition in all it's wonder, and all it's corruptions. I don't think you can have great love without also the risk of great loss of love. Imagine God, he has created you out of love and loves you through thick and thin, yet we turn from him until the very end. Imagine that billions of times over.

It can't be that pleasant being God.

12. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I've read a couple of books on sociopathy and it's hard for any normal person to even fully appreciate how bad these people really are. The stereotypes we have about sociopaths are very misdirected... the vast majority don't murder anyone, aren't even all that violent, but they cannot feel the range of emotion we do. It's not even a decision they make, they literally can't feel remorse, are indifferent to another's suffering, and are usually in a constant state of heightened self-awareness.

Think of sociopathy as a form of severe retardation. They are born that way, there is no 'saving' them... they are beyond the abilities of Science and God to make them whole. And it might surprise you to learn that some psychologists who specialize in sociopathy believe it's far more common than any of us suspect... the last book I read on the subject stated it is perhaps as many as 1 out of every 25 people can clinically be defined as a sociopath. There is very likely more sociopaths on Wall Street than we would like to believe.

13. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Very nice thoughts! i started that thread cause a friend asked me that question and i didn't tell him a good answer... I mean an answer that could have helped him. For sure what you said its not pleasant being God... He was and is rejected by humans everyday over and over again in many generations in entire human history...

A question that was made to me after all this conversation is... Does the God's love for human can be compared to what human feels as love... Can it be equally valued... I feel in love once... and love and loved many people.... What if God's love is better... or different?

14. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I ve heard once by my uncle who is teacher of phycology in Munich that a great percent of people in our planet are sociopaths and they don't know it... And that the symptoms are really dangerous... But i haven't red many book about phycology... Only basic staff like Freud and phycoanalisis...

I had in my mind that phycopaths are humans so they can feel the most of emotions especially love... maybe i was wrong

15. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    When we use the term love where God is concerned, it's not something that is really simple. In fact the entire concept of love in the Bible actually came from three key Greek words, namely Agape, Philadeplhia and Eros. The first one is that of unconditional love. i.e. The presence of Jesus' salvation. The second one is that of brotherly love. The last one is that of a romantic factor. (Take not that the entire concept of Eros itself might or might not constitute to the hormones)

If I am to answer the focal question here from the layman's theological view, then we need to understand that Agape is the origin itself so as to speak. If you understand the entire concept of predestination in John Calvin's teachings, you'll be able to get the brief idea at the very least. Pls just don't tell right in my face on why such-and-such happen if God is love. I'm NOT gonna answer this question due to the fact that I'm still in the learning phase on that end. That plus we don't wanna derail the topic at hand. So now when use the term Agape for God's love, then we need to extend the entire logic to the other two.

Philadelphia would be a no-brainer b/c as per taught by the Apostles themselves in particular, if one cannot love his brother, he will nvr know what is love. In fact in one of John's letters in the Bible, (Or is it James? Grrr memory has gone off atm), it is clearly stated that whoever hates his brother will be still in darkness, the truth of God is not in him. Or somewhere along that line. And when we used this second term, it's much more of a spiritual factor rather than physical nvr mind the fact that the female Christians would be included in this range as well. I bloody blame the lingo system at that time. -.-

And lastly Eros. This is actually the one thing that God won't be having due to the very fact that when we use the term Trinity, there's no such thing as a female aspect. (Yes feminists are gonna stone me for good on this front. -.-) Simply put, if right from the bat there's no such female presence, then it would be really farfetched to say that God can and will fall in love with another person on the Eros front.

Maybe we should see things this way: The nature of man is different from God. God created the existence of Agape, but yet when it comes to Philadelphia and Eros, it's actually something restricted to the confines of the human race itself. The former would be that of outright duty as per charged by God. (ofc when Jesus displayed his own Philadelphia, it's actually a case of setting down the example LITERALLY). The final third would be a case where anybody would be capable of. i.e. Both Christians and non-Christians alike. To get a firmer idea on this end, we really need to go straight into the area of separation dogma. This is actually something that I'd rather any interested party to go online search for. I'm not too good with words when it comes to complicated terminology talk. -.-

Search tags for this page

god ever fallen in love

has god ever fallen in love with a woman