Do you need computer help?

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by Zarien, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Zarien

Zarien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to the forums, and I thought I would post in here to make myself available to anyone who needs computer help.

Who am I and my experience? I recently got out of the airforce, where I was an avionics electronic technician. I have years of experience with soldering/oscilloscopes/signal generators/mixers/etc, basically the air force's version of electrical engineering, or a pointy head as we were called. I'm currently pursuing my degree in computer science, I can troubleshoot most computer issues and my specialty resides in computer hardware. I've built my own computers since I was 15 and I currently work at Tiger direct part time. I'm always willing to help troubleshoot an issue you're having or give advice on a computer setup you want to build. Feel free to give me a computer budget with what you want to do with it, and i'll respond with the ideal computer for you. Heck, if you're a local in florida, i'll help build it with you and show you how if you want.

What are my weakpoints? Programming. I'm pursuing computer science, but i'm not a software engineer, sorry. I'm learning a few separate computer languages, but i'm not at a level where I can build a program for you to use without issues. I'm working on it, but even then, I intend on specializing in hardware over software and I'll never be an expert. Need advice on soldering techniques, what resistor you need, or general electrical practices, or advice on computers, i'm your man.

I generally browse the forums every other day. So if I don't get to you the day of, I apologize and I promise as soon as I see your post or message, i'll respond as soon as possible.

Thanks and look forward to talking with fellow techies in the future!

2. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Where is local when it comes to Florida? There's a couple of us here. No computer problems here, just kinda curious as there is a tiger direct not far from me.

3. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Adding on to what Zarien said (which is pretty cool and very interesting) I'm somewhat of a programmer and I'm going into Computer Science at uni, so if anybody has software-related problems, I can help (although if you're using Windows, my advice will probably be “use Mac or Linux!” :D :devilspin).

4. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    As some of you might know (I'm looking at you, @Turambar, @anonymous, and @Oddrun :D), I've been unsuccessful at upgrading my gaming PC, so I'm looking for advice on a new mainboard and CPU.

A couple of months ago I bought a Geforce GTX 970, but it wouldn't work - none of my screens, no matter whether connected via HDMI, DVI, or VGA, received a signal while the graphics card itself worked fine (it had enough power, the fans were running, and the power LED was on). I updated my BIOS, to no avail.
    I figured it might have been the mainboard - it's an ASUS F2A55-M LK. I thought it might help to get a new one, so, while I was at it, I decided to upgrade more than just my graphics card and get a new mainboard + CPU.

I recently found the following article: http://lifehacker.com/this-spreadsheet-will-help-you-choose-the-best-intel-cp-1786065005
    ... and now I'm thinking about actually getting the MSI Z170A Gaming mainboard along with a new CPU, an Intel i5-6600K. For both I'd pay around 400€, and I wouldn't want to pay more than that. Now, as I'm no expert I'm interested in hearing your thoughts (and advice). I'd usually ask my S.O., but would this time prefer to hear different opinions on the matter. Hope you'll be able to help me. :)

5. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +304 / 3 / -0
    Yeah mate I have a problem. I bought a computer from a store about 2-3 years ago.. its an i5 3550, 8 gig 1866 ram, 1 tb hdd, 750gtx (upgraded to a 960gtx now). Windows 7.

last week, it said windows 7 was not legit out of nowhere.... even tho it is! well at least I thought so as I bought it from a store. I've done the google search and did this: This Copy of Windows is not Genuine Fix - PERMANENT Fix but still says not geniune. WTF? It'sno big problem, just annoying as I was going to sell this comp to a mate for $500, now he doesn't want it. Might just reformat then get a windows 10 install. However.. can you fix?

EDIT: nevermind, formatted with win10.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016