Do you have ideas for events for my book series idea?

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by Art3mis, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Art3mis

Art3mis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I’m writing a fantasy book á la Game of Thrones at the moment. But with less death and XXX. It’s about four (or five) U.S. soldiers, who work for a space program and who are stranded on this fantasy planet. And those five (or six) noble houses, who are descendants of the kids of the “big king”, are fighting for the throne. On this planet are also magical creatures, crazy creatures (e.g. giant winged lions) and normal animals. And there is an African-like folk, who are called savage by the noble houses, although they live in houses, ride animals (rhinos, zebras, and zebroids), have laws and are masters in combat. Do you have any ideas for events? ;)

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2
    I'd have the African-like folk being abused by the noble houses, and the American soldiers falling in with their ranks and staging a rebellion against the king.

3. Art3mis

Art3mis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Sparrow No. That's too obvious. I wanna to divide them. And each character goes to one of the noble houses.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +645 / 3 / -1
    When you say ideas for events I take it to mean plot lines. I would say part of this is going on hinge on if you start the story with the spacemen or if you start with the world itself and the spacemen fall into it (even if that is the first chapter).

Don't forget no matter how you write it the first handful of characters the reader meets will be the ones that likely sell your story; the ones the readers will fast identify with and thus the ones that should survive and should remain key in the story.

You can see this even in Game of Thrones - The Starks are who we first meet and they remain a strong part of the story through the whole series. Even Malazan Book of the Fallen retains some of its original roster through its second book (set in a different land).

Outside of that a lot of it really depends on what happens. If they crash land we can assume they will have limited viable resources on hand and a varied range of skills within the team. Ergo they are likely quite rubbish at wilderness survival, but might have technical understandings. Note that many of them might be the understanding that something is possible but not how to achieve it; or they might know a theory with no specifics. Even if they can repair parts of their ship it might not mean that they know all the ins and outs. Eg they could solder and repair circuit boards; but wouldn't know all the ins and outs of how to find, extract, process and produce the raw resources to recreate a circuit board.

As for how they be broken up some might be stolen by another house (esp if they prove to be valuable to know); some might escape captivity; or decide they don't like their first saviours and escape. Being a fantasy like world some might think its all an hallucination and behave in a very selfish or otherwise random way (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is a good series of books to show this kind of approach to fantasy from reality). There are loads of potential hooks.

I'd say start by establishing who your key characters are as people; what are their understandings, their history, family, motivations, goals, aims etc.... What have they achieved and what do they aspire too. Once you establish that you might find part of the story starts to write itself as you can then puzzle out how they will react to thinks that they encounter. Furthermore it shows you how a person is built up in a story and thus what you need to and don't need to show about them to have them seem real and to get people hooked on them. You can also use that to change characters if you find you want to take the story in a particular way.

5. Art3mis

Art3mis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2
    To what end?
    US Troopers are known for their undying loyalty to one another. It's hard to imagine they'd take sides against a fellow soldier.

7. Art3mis

Art3mis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Sparrow Yah! But those aren't troopers. – They work for a space program. It's like that from the TV show Stargate. So...

8. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +404 / 1 / -1
    If the noble houses are descended from members of an American secret space program, you should have other off-worlders interact with the planet. What if there's an asteroid that passes by the planet which has a small colony on it's surface that are all descended from lost Soviet cosmonauts? What if an advanced alien race crashes on the surface, and can't get back since their power reactor was critically damaged in the crash?

9. Art3mis

Art3mis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Kelmourne I believe you misunderstood. Those are native on their planet. And those astronauts come to the planet. But the noble houses live for years on it.

10. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +404 / 1 / -1
    Whoops, my bad. I definitely think there should be a faction on the new world that's descended from lost Soviet Cosmonauts who have been there since they got lost in the 1960s.

There's a really good Polish sci-fi movie that might give you some good ideas called "On the Silver Globe". It's about astronauts who crash on a planet and start a civilization there, and it shows how this develops over about 60-70 years when the astronauts are old and have many children.

11. Art3mis

Art3mis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Kelmourne That would be confusing and illogical. Sorry... ;):(

12. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2
    It would seem to me that these astronauts wouldn't want to upset or influence a world that's rather primitive, even a magical one.

You ought to watch, Hard to be a God. It's somewhat in the same vein as you're describing. A cosmonaut finds himself on a planet not unlike our own, just stuck in the dark ages. He decides that he won't passively watch the gears of civilization slowly grind, so he takes up a crusade of sorts. As you might imagine, there are unforeseen consequences and it doesn't end well for him.:)