Do you have a plan incase of a zombie outbreak?

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Furry Sparks, Apr 15, 2009.

1. SuperToad

SuperToad New Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Get a stinger.

2. Saka

Saka New Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    add some turrets to your haus.

3. Aegan

Aegan eater of pies.

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    On a fantasy forum, I can't believe that some larpers haven't chimed in here yet. Armor! I'm sure there's a healthy portion of folks here who have *ahem* a bit of the stuff.

Chain maille under medium leather armor would be dynamite. It's widely known that zombies don't gain strength by turning and decaying, but rather, only cease to be bothered by the damage that's done to them. Basically, stereotypical ranger gear would be dynamite. A nice weatherproof cloak offers camouflage and protection. The nice thing about medieval weaponry is that ammunition isn't such a problem. Swords don't take bullets, and if you're thoroughly armored, you're probably safe against 5 or so zombies at any time, simply because they're never going to chew through your armor.

I'd suggest the following:
    • Armor heavily and immediately. Armor those you care about and stick together.
    • Acquire as much modern, high-damage weaponry as you possibly can
    • Seek a highly defensible location.
    • Hole up initially and avoid fleeing as much as possible.
    • After the initial apocalypse phase, venture out and become more offensive. Find survivors and band together.

In the beginning, the zombies will be densest and freshest. Mowing them down with guns at this stage is definitely the preferable means of extermination. You can clear wide swaths of them from a distance. As the outbreak fades over a couple weeks, the waves of undead will thin in numbers. As long as they aren't swarming by the hundreds, killing them should be fairly easy.

By the time the bulk of the zombie offensive has died off (they'll starve or be killed in a couple weeks), it's likely that your modern ammunition will be running low. But don't worry! That's what swords and bows and the like are for. If a zombie can't bite you, it can't do much. Once your clan has cut its teeth fighting hand-to-hand against the zombies, you should be in fair shape to venture out and begin the reclamation process.

Cities will be desolate for decades. Attempting to reclaim them will be a fool's errand. The only offerings they have are canned supplies and other non-perishable items. Sending small scouting groups in for supplies every once in a while wouldn't be a bad idea, but as soon as overland travel is feasible again, it's going to be imperative to move toward the most uninhabited areas before the apocalypse came. Humans are zombie-food. So, no humans before the zombies, no zombies after the apocalypse. Your clan should set up a an outpost with a moat and a good, high wall surrounding it. Attempting to secure modern weapons for this outpost is completely illogical. Weapons that can be made, repaired and kept useful only by use of available resources are the only way to go. Bows and arrows, swords, rocks and if you're lucky, maybe a trebuchet.

I think the aftermath of the apocalypse is going to look a lot like the Middle Ages. People will become far too entrenched in survival and simple things to worry about computers, cars and space exploration any longer. Until cities become habitable again, small, rural outposts will be the way of life.

4. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I want to comment on that post Aegan.

First of all there's something that I wanted to say earlier too,but now that you've given me the chance with the medieval weaponry part it's much better.

Well no matter what we say and act macho behind our screens and considering all this about a zombie outbreak as complete fantasy,if it really happened someone wouldn't just go out in the street or a house or somewhere like that and survive even if he had guns like pistols,rifles,sub-machine guns.
    Encountering the zombies:
    There's a chance he would live,but we have to consider some things as targeting for example...can he actually shoot fast and target well enough to kill those zombies?What if the gun gets jammed?Happens quit often.Can a "noob" handle it?
    Then we have the psychological effect.Can he,under the pressure and fear of getting attacked by lurking zombies,be fast and good enough to defend himself? Imagine seeing zombies running towards you.Can you aim carefully and fast enough to shoot?Can you reload fast and keep going?
    And it's even worse when it comes to medieval weaponry.Can he swing the sword well enough to get some heads?Can he shoot those arrows(Mub,that's for you :p)fast enough and accurate enough?Will arrows be sufficient to eliminate a zombie?

Remember:The most important thing in such an encounter is that you don't get bitten or infected in any way(some zombies infect with their blood others with their saliva etc.).So your biggest concern is that you don't get infected somehow meaning that...you don't get scratched,bitten or get blood or saliva on your face somehow.

I don't know how much of protection against that would medieval chain mail type armor would offer to someone especially when you have to be fast and agile.

Now let's move to the second part:

During the first days of the zombie outbreak in order to gather provisions you would have to get in a dillema,that normally would be really tough especially then because you're not sure how much of the State and order is still functioning,to plunder and loot super-markets,convinience stores,maybe gun stores or abandoned police cars or whatever.

Could you do that?Realistically speaking,I guess the only time you can actually and de facto "legally" do that is when you see there's complete chaos and the stores are abandoned.

Third part:

Aegan I do find all that you said logical,however in order to speak realistically..here's what I think.Armor heavily and armor those that you care about can only happen if you can actually manage to "steal" or "borrow" some armored recon vehicle of the army or police bus or other vehicle.
    Acquire as much modern high-damage weaponry,for the average man and family that would mean the same as above,to plunder some gun store or abandoned police/army checkpoint.

Seek a highly defensible location.That sounds totally reasonable,but being in a crisis the first thing a family or a man will think is to move to a cottage or other relative's house or stay and defend at their current home.
    Hole up sounds pretty fine for me,as long as there are provisions.
    Now about the find survivors thing...as humans we can get nasty,greedy and picky so ..this is the point most of the zombie movies are showing us,how different people try to get along in such situations and under such pressure and limitations people don't always get along.

To build a such fortifications would require means and time.In urban situations that would be really tough.In rural that could be more possible provided the infection hasn't still been spread that fast there yet.

I disagree with you on the modern firearms thing.Securing as many modern weapons as possible AND ammunition is the key to protection and survival if all hell breaks loose.

Remember Dawn of the Dead the 2004 remake,man?The guy in the gun store had all the ammunition and guns he wanted.He was quite secure.The only thing he lacked was food.

Bows and arrows should normally do little damage to nothing against a horde of invading zombies,swords would mean that you have to get close to kill them...rocks i doubt they would hurt them and....a trebuchet?WHERE in the world is a family,couple,band of friends,clan or whatever gonna find a trebuchet and for WHAT?

And in conclusion:

Cities could be reclaimed with appropriate use of Armor columns,maybe the wide use of some vaccine or other cure and mostly by sending teams of armored vehicles and APCs and IFVs inside the cities to clear each sector.After that slow process,the medical and biological warfare units move in make sure everything is clear and safe.

Well yes canned food can be quite good when you try to survive.Actually if you have electric power and running water you can "loot" an abandoned super-market and fill your car with canned food,ready-to-cook food and lots of candy bars and bisquits.You can also attempt to get packs of frozen vegetable meals and olive oil cans.Milk in powder form and tea packs.

(candy bars,chewing-gum,fizzy-drinks and tea as moral boosters)

Yeah well maybe if you make 2-3 "exits" for supplies along with your buddies it will be worth it after all because then you can hole up as much as you want.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  5. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    Don't any of you lot realize Plants kill zombies? :rolleyes:

I'd throw foin at them for that long winded post tho :p

seriously tho, go live on the ocean. plant your own vegetables/fruit in tubs on your boat and catch your own water. Sounds hard but you aint gonna manage to stop a zombie outbreak.

6. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Those desolate British islands...then civilization will come back and you'll be left there,forgotten for 40 years

7. BubbleFreak

BubbleFreak Queen of BubbleMania

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Ah I knew watching all those zombie movies would be good for something!:D

My plan would be to turn into the ultimate zombie that feeds on the flesh of all the other zombies, and the more zombies I eat the more human I become again hahaha until there are only humans left and I am an hero!

Ok, if that doesn't work, I would make sure that in whatever group I am in, we let the stupid ones die and don't try to save them. The ones that do silly things that endanger the rest of us.

8. Raff the Sweetling

Raff the Sweetling Threadkiller

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    #1 Dont become a zombie around Bubble freak.
    #2 Dont be in her group period.

9. Raraldor

Raraldor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have an axe in my house, I will probably pick that up, but there are way to many windows in my house to barricade it well. I would probably go roam the streets when morning comes to find a suitably base.

10. Raraldor

Raraldor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    depends on the kind of zombies you are thinking of, most walk at a slow pace

11. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Yes, plus rotting corpses often lose limbs, or break limbs, because they can't feel pain, and so on and so forth.

I think I'd probably freak out if there was a zombie outbreak, now that I think about it. I don't like zombies. At all.

12. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Well the classic zombies walk slowly,but the 21st century zombies run like humans.

See 28 Days Later,28 Weeks Later,Dawn of the Dead 2004 remake,REC.

They still mostly infect by bitting or scratching.

Here are some videos that will instruct you on how to deal with those rotting corpses(or infected people just in case we don't get our butts sued by some rights organisation).Watch carefully if you want to survive!

Oh I don't know how much of educational this is...but it sure is roflmao!

13. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Umm...double-post :p

14. Anir

Anir New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'd definitely break down in the case of a zombie outbreak. I don't think I could handle killing (or re-killing as the case may be) my friends and family. I'd probably just run. And run.

15. SuperToad

SuperToad New Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Ahem, only in lame 50s movies. In reality, the zombie virus pushes the host body to the limit, causing them to run at greater speeds than most humans. Haven't you ever played Left 4 Dead?

16. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    21st century zombies run like humans and they generally don't kill to eat the living,but in almost all cases just to hurt them,driven by some rage caused by the infection.

Some however take a snack too when they encounter normal humans :p

17. SilverDragon.Xx

SilverDragon.Xx New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yup i do haha!! get geared up to kill them...if there isn't alot of people left the weapons would be numerous! but i'd make sure i kept on the move to avoid attracting too many to one place...although if someone created soome big scary thing like nemesis then am afraid we be screwed as none of us have superhuman strength lol!

18. BubbleFreak

BubbleFreak Queen of BubbleMania

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Haha, no wai I know you want to join me

19. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    If zombies are slow: Throw matches at them and watch them turn into flocks of ashes.

If zombies are fast: RUN LIKE HELL! Hopefully get on a boat and miles and miles away.

20. midnight_wolf316

midnight_wolf316 New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    billd a zomby poof zone and have a life time supply of food and drinks and evrey one i care about in the donme and stay ther :) sorted