Do you believe in ghosts?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Anir, Jul 11, 2009.

?

Do you believe in ghosts?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. Maybe

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  4. Would you like some pie?

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I don't know why you're so uptight about these things... here's an article from wikipedia, so it must be true.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_ancient_Greece

If you can believe in ghosts and souls based on nonsense, than I likewise can believe some of the great Greek Philosophers were gay based on fragmentary evidence.

2. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Rofl you do know that wikipedia isn't always right and that sometimes articles in wikipedia even contradict themselves.And when something is wrong and a lie I get so "uptight" about it.

3. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Indeed, wikipedia is a poor substitute for reading books or taking classes in a subject.

Whether a particular Greek Philosopher is gay or not is of no consequence. What matters is that the foundation of Western Culture is built on Greek ideals and philosophy. From representative government to the scientific method, and just about everything in between was first realized in the minds of greek philosophers. Some of them were light-years ahead of their time.

I'm guessing on that, we can at least agree.

4. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    The Ancient Greeks were an incredible kind of people that even today's Greeks,no wonder there,admire them and can't believe the magnitude of their ideas and visions.Some weirdos say or used to say the last 10-15 years that ancient greeks came from Andromeda and Sirios,from outer space generally.Bullocks of course but...anyway we were talking about ghosts.I personally can't say that ghosts exist or not.But I sure LOVE watching videos of "ghost" appereances or paranormal activity on the net as long as it's very well made and well presented.

5. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Ghosts make no sense at all :)

6. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Fcuk you anon, I am a ghost and take offense

7. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes but it took a really strange experience to have me believe in em. To put it shortly, 10 years ago we were just moving into a brand spanking new house with my family. I was alone one day and looked behind me and saw a lady in a white gown with black hair walk from right all the way to my kitchen and vanish. Now I know what your thinking 'A lady with a white gown and black hair... hasn't that been in every single ghost movie yet?'
    I originally played it off as my imagination, though I was more scared than I've ever been to this day. Now when I was younger I was a trouble maker in school and to be punished I was not allowed to watch the telivision or use any electronics. My brother was being punished too. One morning I was taking a shower for school and he was waiting for me to get out. When I got out he was peeking in my room and said he saw a lady in white through the tv reflection walk into my room.
    Asked him to describe her in detail and it was exactly what I saw down to the tee. Problem is I never told anybody at all what I saw the day I was alone. I've seen a few things since then but play 95% of it as my mind playing tricks on me.

So I see now that my 'to put it shortly' was a lie sorry everyone haha

8. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Why is it that people who see ghosts more times than not see a lady wearing a flowing gown, or a child... why isn't it ever a plumber or a middle-aged guy carrying a beer in one hand, and a television remote in the other?.. if any soul can be stuck in limbo between this world and the next, than why is it never a regular guy?

9. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hey that's not true. That was just the experience that had me believing it. I've had a few other not so scary more of 'that was weird' experiences that happened in a group. There's a local mountain here near my house by a park 2 miles off. Only about 800 feet elevation gain I'd say if that. Anyways me and a few friends went up there one night to hang out look at the few stars we can see where I live and enjoy ourselves. Snacks foods name it we brought it.
    But around 2ish in the morning a guy was standing behind one of my buddies we tried talking to him saying 'hey whats up? when did you get up here' and he just vanished. Needless to say we thought it was a bit strange and we headed down for the night.

Guy was white, had medium length brown hair, was wearing blue jeans and a orange shirt. Looked like any other person would except he just was there one second and literally vanished like if you blinked and was gone. Tried talking to him for about 20 seconds or so he just stood up there looking around not acknowledging us. On a side note behind him where he would have 'came up from' was just a cliff.

10. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just was about to write something to your experience but I stumbled over your last sentence that confused me profoundly. At last I do not understand if it is true or if it was a joke :confused:

11. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Hahaha Sparrow. But that wouldn't be as scary. I would probably laugh if I saw that.
    And I'm thinking that those who become ghost might be those who themselves believe in it, and in the past times ghosts and other mysterious beings were real (for them). A lot of people claim to see men as well, but usually everone's dressed in clothes from other time periods.

I do believe in ghosts, even though it sort of goes against me somehow.
    Mostly because of weird little things in my childhood.

For example: I was at a friends house once and she had a dog. We were in another room when we suddenly heard a crash in the kitchen, we ran in and found all the vegetables that had been on the counter, far away from the edge, all over the floor (sure round things can roll, but these weren't round veggies). And all of a sudden the dog started barking like mad in another room at nothing special, just staring right at something (someone?) we didn't see. And right after that a wind-up toy went of and started making sounds in yet another room.

A lot of small coincidences perhaps, that can be explained, but it just felt so goddamn spooky. And sometimes it feels like there's someone present in the room, and I look around and no ones there. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. But it's those sort of thing that makes me wonder, if there might be something like ghosts and spirits after all...

12. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just not intend for me to go into the details of the experience. It was the first one I had and still gives me chills thinking about it. It's also the only one that has actually 'scared' me outta my mind. It was suppose to be short n sweet and to the point haha. Sooo lets go with it was an apology for rambling on :p

13. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That's a neat story I like sharing ghost stories. You talking about the dog reacting like that reminded me of something else that happened in my house,
    its nothing crazy. Just another night alone, I was upstairs watching tv cat was sleeping on the sofa next to me. Well, I heard what sounded like somebody walking around downstairs and moving plastic bags. I thought someone was breaking into the house and grabbed this stone marble egg we had upstairs if anybody came up the stairs i was gonna smash it against their head (violent i know x.x) well didn't hear anything for awhile and heard a loud slam like a cabinet door being slammed shut cat freaked out really bad and was hissing at the stairs turned all poofy like they do and took off. Nothing even happened after that.

I have a few other stories but just keep in mind its not something that happens often, only 4 odd things have happened in this house in the span of 10 years.

14. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Silver - sounds really creepy. and isn't it good that it's just 4 things over 10 years? I would never dare to keep living in a house where weird things happened all the time!
    And I've heard that animals are supposed to be able to see things like ghosts and spirits, so that why it's creepy with the dog and cat. Even my parrots sometimes can stare right out in the air and make odd noises... like they see something that is there and.. not normal.

15. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well it is creepy at times thinking back, and I even get really paranoid out of nowhere from time to time. But I have a strong belief that 'ghosts' whatever they may be can't hurt you so its interesting to me. Though if I were ever physically harmed by say something as little as a scratch I'd probably not enjoy the stuff at all. Til then I wouldn't mind living in a place where it happened more often just to bring a little excitement into the living space. ;P

16. Forgotten Realms

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Have you made already some inquisitions about the place where your home stands itself or perhaps former owners? Even if the house is brand new does not mean that there could have been another house before or another place where great sorrow and pain happend e.g. a concentration camp, a sanatory, a mental home whatever. It could also be that the former owner (perhaps that lady you were talking about) did not want to sell the ground and it was taken by force? Also perhaps it was the site of a murder (of this lady) or another crime situation? Perhaps this lady was burned there as a witch, coming back for revenge? Perhaps there was an ancient cemetary before? Well, would be great to know some more details to give you a more detailed answer :)

17. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Oh Forgotten, when you start saying all those things, I just feel glad I haven't experienced something really spooky in my apartment. I would probably never get sleep if I thought there was someone here, especially someone sinister :D

18. Forgotten Realms

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well, the paranormal is one of my hobbies and became to, because I made my own experience with ghost sightings when I was a child (8 years old)... and I know there is more between heaven and earth beside "humanity". Just give it a chance to manifest and to prove and then judge!

19. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    @ forgotten I live in the southwest states of america in las vegas, before the house was here it was only desert, this city has been expanding at a pretty fast pace. It even has combined with other cities near by so you'll be in las vegas one street and in a city called henderson the next.
    so its weird, I tend to see things more often than others and get stories from other peoples homes that its not just me n they have had strange things happen to. Sooo i dont know i find it all interesting and i agree with you that theres more than just earth and heaven :]

20. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Yeah , I believe in ghosts ... but that really dont mean all that much as I also believe in manticores ,werepigs,mind control,hostile gelatinous cubes and that demons walk among us in the guise of our loved ones. I also think the best way to start the day is to inhale an entire tube of glue , so forget everything I said.