Do you believe in aliens?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by warrior_squirrel21, Jun 2, 2006.

?

Do you believe in aliens?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Possible

19 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. No

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. Entreri

Entreri New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    no

2. Vandral

Vandral Dark One Reborn

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I think it's entirely possible that on a distant galaxy on a distant planet, there are lifeforms that have evolved with intellegence and self-consciousness. I don't think they fly millions of lightyears to stick glowing rods up our butts.

3. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I beleive that there will be countless billions of life forms out there. The chances of their not being anything else as far more strange than there being some.

4. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    when you think of how big the universe is, it almost has tho be other creatures out there. and, jeah, i'd loved it if they where green!!! :ufo:

5. MasterofReality

MasterofReality The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if I believe in aliens. If the universe is ever going like they say then isn't it more likely there is somethign else out there? I think so. But I don't belive that people get abducted by them and stuff. I don't know about the videos of "UFO's" though. There are plenty of reasonable guesses of what they could be.

6. lewy

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    why is all thypical sci-fi aliens so much more elvolved than humans? what if they are at the stone-age-state??

7. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Well there will be, countless. There will be planets with just bacteria like organisms, some with dinosaur like, and so forth.... Some even at the same stage as us..... But there will be planets with much more advanced populations... But its likely that those kind would come from systems with dwarf suns

8. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Why's that? What's the link between dwarf suns and advanced worlds?

9. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Because dwarf suns have longer lives than giants...... So advanced races would more likely appear on systems with dwarf suns..... Like ours for example. Our sun is half way through it's life cycle, so we are fortunate. But if our sun was a blue giant say, and we were at this stage, same amount of time had passed etc then our sun would not have long to go..... I'm not saying life could not appear on systems with giant suns, but the time needed for evolution to get a species right enough to become like us or more advanced would be against them.

The larger a sun is, the quicker it will burn out. And also depending on the color of the sun aswell. Blue being the hottest, then yellow, red etc, im sure you know this.

So even as I have read, a species on a "living" planet would have more time quite litterally to evolve with a dwarf sun.

10. Thalador

Thalador Marshal of the West

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes. Faced with our knowledge of the Universe and probability, it is likely that intelligent life does exist outside of Earth. If some of the ingredients of life (i.e. ammonia, methane, carbon dioxide) can exist elsewhere in our solar system (methane, ammonia, and nitrogen gases have been found on Titan), it is perfectly feasible that conditions for life may be found elsewhere in the Universe.

According to the Drake equation, it is highly probable that intelligent life may exist. I'll just present a portion of his reasoning, eliminating his more complex conclusions.

* There are 100 billion stars in the Milky Way.
    * About 10% of these have planetary systems. ( = 10 billion planetary systems)
    * 1% of planetary systems have habitable planets. ( = 100 million habitable planets)
    * Odds of life forming are 1 in a million. ( = 100 life-bearing planets)
    * There are about 100 billion galaxies in the visible universe. ( = 10 trillion life-bearing planets)

Our earliest radio transmissions will have travelled over 50 light-years by now. The Milky Way Galaxy is about 70,000-100,000 light-years in diameter. Going back to the equation, there would be only about 100 planets that have the potential to support life in the whole galaxy. The Universe is just too big.

Now, it is impossible to be sure of any of these percentages. Due to our lack of knowledge, we couldn't possibly hope to confirm numbers for the equation. That includes the possibility for the formation of intelligent life. Of course, it is very probable that life exists with such a large number of life-bearing planets. The sheer immensity of the Universe only increases the probability that intelligent life may exist. However, the size of the Universe makes it next to impossible that we will establish contact with other forms of intelligent life during either of our civilizations' lifetimes. By the time our radio waves could reach another civilization, it is likely that we would be long gone.

11. Orophin

Orophin New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone believe in the God of the bible? If u do then u would come to the conclusion that there r no aliens but demon spirits or fallen angels that pose as aliens to decieve man. If u do not believe in the bible then ur options r open to almost anything.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I do not share your opinion...I think there are many believers of God (I don't but I respect them) in any religion who also believe in Aliens. I find it quite insulting to them...describing them as close-minded...

13. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    As I said before, to debate whether there are planets out there with life on them.... is pretty pointless... There are planets with life on them out there, ranging from bacteria to more advnaced and everything in between.

What should be debated is whether any aliens have visited earth. That is debatable.

14. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I agree that statistically speaking, life must exist somewhere out there. But who knows if we'd even be capable of recognising it as life? Or them able to recognise us? Imagine if some other life form was a colour, a thought, invisible to the human eye etc. Who knows.

As to whether or not aliens have visited earth - what for?

Scenario 1 - Conquest. Movie type stuff. ALiens come, kick our puny butts, and use us as slaves, or food, and carve up the earth for its minerals and natural resources etc. Assuming of course that Earth has something desirable to these aliens. Abductions might give them some intel about how we tick and how fragile our little meat suits are.

Scenario 2 - Star Trek - explore but don't influence their society. Works on TV, but as soon as humans saw aliens, the world would flip out and chances are hte military would just shoot them down on sight. It's been proven that any creature that knows it's being observed acts differently to its normal behaviour.

Scenario 3 - observe from a distance and never make contact so as not to influence us in any way at all. So they might be watching us right now but we'd never know.

Scenario 4 - the "happily ever after" scenario. Aliens and humans join forces to spread peace, love and group hugs throughout the planet and then the solar system. The aliens teach us about advanced technology, and we teach them about drinking beer and playing sport :)

Scenario 5 - they came, they saw, they didn't like what they saw, and they promised to never speak of us again lol :)

What other scenarios could alien contact entail?

15. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Scenario 6 - We have no way of contemplating what they would visit here for

Scenario 7 - They like making fun of us and laughing at our TV shows about them lol

16. HumanInfiltrator

HumanInfiltrator The Book club lady

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Scenario 8 - They came, they looked just like us and one of them is now my upstairs neighbor.

17. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Scenario 9 - (close to scenario 8) I'm sitting next to one of them and she happens to be my girlfriend:D

18. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Hahahahaha :)

Although with a username like you have......

19. lewy

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    scenario 10:
    an alien arrives eart, and start filming a thing that happened a long time ago in a galacsy far, far away (wich he lived in).
    the alien calls himself george lucas, and the films he called starwars...

20. lewy

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    in the future humans might reveal the aliens of these (and more) scenarios, and tries to destroy them all, in fear of being destroyed self. then they/we become so upset with this, that they/we accidentaly blows up the earth with some giant nukes. so sad...