Do Gorons need oxygen?

Discussion in 'Zelda' started by stevenlink1, Mar 26, 2007.

1. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    In the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, you have two opportunities to encounter gorons who are completely submerged in water. One of them is a goron child who tells you that he feels no need to come up for air. The other sits at the bottom of a very deep pool and relaxes in the cool water. My question is, do Gorons need to breathe? I assumed that they did, but the aforementioned examples of that species seem to think otherwise.

2. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    It is most likely they don't need air to breathe, but instead get oxygen from the water to live. Although they do seem to have humanoid shape, so I'm not sure if they actually breathe or not, because it seems like they do have a diaphragm which is what is needed for breathing. But you only breathe when you use it, but I don't see how they would use it if their underwater. They either have permeable skin or gills by which they take in oxygen.

Technically we don't need all of the components of air to breathe, just the oxygen part (but ofc if you just had oxygen in the air, we wouldn't take in any oxygen efficiently lol).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  3. Anakin

Anakin God Emperor

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,158 / 5 / -0
    I don't know, if they need air. Maybe those under water were exceptional...I don't know, cause if you look at them, they look like they do have a human shape, thus as humans need oxygin. I think water is only to keep them strong, just like your health is restored when you stand in the water.

4. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Then again, for a race of sentients that eat rocks as their primary food, you can never really know what to expect. Maybe they don't use oxygen in the way that humans do, you know, with lungs and stuff. Perhaps that for the way they use oxygen, water will suffice. Although, those of you who have played Majora's Mask remember that you weren't allowed to go under water as a goron.

5. Soulsmith

Soulsmith Forging souls anew...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    personally i dont think gorons actually breathe. I think they get gases from the rocks they eat taken in through the digestive system

6. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Wow...they must have some super advanced system to get gas from a rock :S

7. Mogett

Mogett The Red Hand

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    If you roll into water as a Goron in Zelda, you drown. This, to me, indicates that they need air in some way.

Rather than a lack of a need for air, perhaps Goron's simply have a far slower rate of aerobic resperation?

8. Sir_Athos105

Sir_Athos105 Bladesmaster of Andor

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    hmmm... i really didnt think of that before. However it comes to mind that ur all arguing over a race of bunched pixels that exist only figuratively so yea...

9. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, that's a rather material way of looking at it. I would rather say that we are "discussing" a serious incontinuity in a videogame story element.

10. Aphelion

Aphelion The Mighty One

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Gorgon is a mythical creature, if she doesnt breathe then her lungs do not exist or they do not work, cuz the lungs job is to transport oxygen from the atmosphere into the bloodstream, and to excrete carbon dioxide from the bloodstream into the atmosphere. If there is no oxygen then the cells of her body will die (The brain xD). A Gorgon should have brains, since the only way to kill her is to chop off her head (she cant possibly live without a head like a zombie). Therefore, my guess is that if she eats the stones and the mineral that it extracts perhaps keep her alive. Cuz if we take it from the scientific point of view, then anything in this world needs some kind of energy to be changed into activity. But its fantasy we are talking now.. so.. everything is possible.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  11. Sir_Athos105

Sir_Athos105 Bladesmaster of Andor

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I have however noticed the young goron sitting in the hot spring pool while completely underwater while playing "the twilight princess".

What's with that?

Alright, say they don't need oxygen all the time, but can subsist on pockets of air in their body perhaps?

12. Darth Rave

Darth Rave Sith'ari

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I thing they dont have blood that needs oxygenation. Insted they have dirt running through thier viens. They can pull sediment out of the water surrouning them to survive. Reall it would apperad that they are to a certian extint shape shifters as the can cause mettal spikes to come out of them selves when rolling at high speeds.

13. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 3 / -1
    Considering that in Twilight Princess the Gerudos are an extinct race, it's possible that Gorons evolved to not need to breathe air from Majora's Mask.

Also, it could be that when you are a Goron in Majora's Mask, you aren't completely a Goron. The masks could just turn you into a humanoid version of the being that you are turning into.