Disney Bought Starwars Oct 30th 2012

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by CB Swords, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Hammerheart

Hammerheart New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    This is what it has always boiled down to...

the originals have this magic that is just impossible to recreate... kudos for trying but its just not gonna happen via Lucas or Disney or anyone else for that matter.

just be glad we have ANH and ESB and leave it at that...

2. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    The reason the originals have 'magic' is due to nostalgia. People never change. It's like our parents saying things were better in their teenage years, or our grandparents talking about the good old days. It's all about nostalgia. It's not the originals you miss, it's the association and feelings of your childhood. Baffles me people are unable to understand this.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    No actually, those first three movies had such great appeal because of the cast of almost completely unknown actors... it was the actors that made the difference, and of course Lucas was hungry and at the peak of his artistic talents. As Hammerheart says, lightning doesn't strike twice and you can't force magic to happen... it's either there or it isn't. StarWars and The Empire Strikes Back have that magic, the prequels with all their digital fx and big-bucks budget and all-star cast, have nothing of that original magic.

4. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    When my boyfriend told me of this (after I'd already seen a million facebook posts about it), my response was... In a galaxy far far away... Rhiannon gave a hoot. I mean honestly, why does it matter? We probably won't even notice a difference since Lucas is still having a big part in the productions.

The Star Wars prequel movies were an experiment. I see it as Lucas trying out new technology and seeing how it looked compared to the old throw a replica in front of a piece of cardboard and edit out your hand technique.

I guess overall, I just really don't care. I don't think anything is in danger of being ruined or anymore ruined.

And Padme is right, we owe Star Wars in general to Lucas in the first place, cut the guy a break.

And like Anakin said, if one character ruined all the movies for you, you need to reevaluate your movie-going experiences. I know so many people that hated those movies just because of Jar-Jar Binx. Huurrr durr.

5. Hammerheart

Hammerheart New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    yup.

the entire VIBE of the newer movies is just completely different...that atmosphere, whatever you wanna call it...it just doesn't lend it self well to blockbuster hollywood/CGI bullshi*...

that being said, I do agree that Disney owning the franchise isn't going to make the new movies any better or worse... or different for that matter.

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I still think that's bull. Most of what the prequels contain was written when he was at the peak of his career anyway. The detail came later. And digital fx are as fake as rubber dolls. Just because its made of solid matter doesn't make it seem more real. But that's just something what people are obsessed about it seems. Those were reals ships, no they were small models that looked like ships. And all-star cast? Again that's bull... He cast unknowns as well as known actors for both trilogies. Peter Cushing, Sir Alec Guinness, just to name a few.

7. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I was almost disappointed in you sparrow, thought you might have some brain... thx God this post relieved me of that stress. now I know you're one of us!

All star crew in prequels... yeah right :D Anakin fist played by the unknown kid (did he even reappear anywhere?), then by some commercials dude (who sucked btw, but so did his "son" :D), Amidala played by some frenchie "star" known 'cause of one movie... Kenoby played by "star" who had become a star after playing Kenoby, Qui-Gon Jinn... did you really gave a F to anything he "starred" at except for Schindler's List? Palpatine if you know something about this dude, lemmy know... by that I mean anything worth seeing... anyway I could continue, but there are 2 real stars in there and they aren't major characters... Mace Windu and Count Dooku... that wraps it up...

8. Hammerheart

Hammerheart New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    are you kidding me?

Liam Neeson
    Ewan McGregor
    Natalie Portman
    Samual L Jackson

those are all A list actors

9. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    both became super stars after "Phantom Menace"

one of 2 I really consider a star

Actually dudes after "Phantom menace" do not count, even if they became know on the way... but I still included Windu and Dooku since they do not appear in PM...

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I even dare to add that Samuel L. Jackson, as well known as he already was well then, his stardom only increased because of Star Wars heavily and started to appear in larger films back then. Star Wars surely boosted his career too. Back then he was mostly known for his small role in Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and films as Die Hard with a Vengeance. Back in the 90's he was only fairly known, while he became a super-star in the noughties.

11. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    yeah but sparrow makes it sound as is the cast was like.

Sean Connery
    Nicolas Cage
    Angelina Jolie
    Macaulay Culkin
    Michael Douglas
    Seth MacFarlane
    Seth Green
    Sigourney Weaver
    Danny Woodburn and stuff like that :D

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well knowns lol... It's actually amazing that Lucas decided to cast Ewan McGregor as he had watched Trainspotting... It's not really the first film I would watch to see 'yep, that's my Obi-Wan!' and I think by how he looks in episode III, it was a very good choice. Now when it comes to other actors, I dare to say in their defense that they're not as bad as people claim to be. Hayden Christensen has shown he can act as like in Shattered Glass or Life as a House, but first of all, George Lucas, while he's a great storyteller and editor, he's not the best director, and he admitted himself that he sucked at dialogue, but for him the music and the visuals have priority above the dialogue. He thinks the music alone should be able to tell the story. He understands music just as Spielberg does. Cause even a great actress like Natalie Portman was criticized for her performance especially in one scene of episode III where Anakin chokes her after she tries to get him back to the light side. I think it's rather the acting style, rather than bad directing but that's just me.

13. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    about the upcoming SW episode VII,VII,IX it is AWESOME. <3 star wars, and the idea. I am in no sense sceptical about them, cuz you can`t really make a bad star wars movie...

14. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Tell that to The Phantom Menace.

15. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +297 / 2 / -1
    I wonder what the cast of the original Star Wars thinks of all this....

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Mark Hamill already expressed his opinion. He said he and Carrie Fisher knew about this for about a year. Well about the new film. Nothing was said about them being cast for the new films, but rather concerning the story, writers and directors. But concerning the take-over by Disney he expressed he was gob-smacked just as most of us. lol

17. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -0
    agreed, it made my day to take my 8yr old brother to watch his first star wars at the cinema, and jar jar was all he could talk about, while the cretin (jar jar, not my brother) annoyed me it made me smile to see that the movie had made a connection with my intellectually disabled sibling.

i actually decided to log in to see what the opinions were on the buy out and news of new movies, the tv series on disney channel being discussed, and the proposed star wars attractions at disneyworld.

personally, while i at first raised an eyebrow, i again look forward to taking the next generation of my family to see the movies. i have 2 nephews and a niece who have a chance to experience star wars at the cinema for the first time. perhaps some of the nay sayers need to remember the excitement of being a child and watching a lightsaber ignite for the first time, sends a shiver down my spine thinking about it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I actually have more faith in Disney hiring someone competent to make Ep7. I think they are more likely to make a fan-pleasing movie, whereas Lucas had so much cash and power for the prequels that he simply made the movies he wanted to, the way he wanted to, even though his directing was crap, his stories were weak, the dialogue was terrible and he let good actors put in terrible performances and obviously said "Yep, that's good enough, cut it and send it to the digital FX guys!"

As someone pointed out, Disney also bought Marvel and there's some kickass action in their movies lately, so don't worry about it becoming any less lightsabery than it's always been.

I'm actually far more positive now than if I'd heard Lucas was making Episode 7 himself.

19. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    For me it's not about it becoming 'less lightsabery', I'm actually worried of the opposite. Star Wars Ep I-VI held metaphors and reflections to many myths, legends, history and religions etc, and this was very deliberate. The action is always fun in the films, but I was more interested in what was going on beneath the surface. Marvel delivers one dimensional action films. Star Wars was better than this, so I fear it is going to be significantly diminished in order to please the popcorn munching masses....

20. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    got me there :/