Disney Bought Starwars Oct 30th 2012

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by CB Swords, Oct 30, 2012.

1. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
  2. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    omg

3. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Guys, Disney didn't just "buy Star Wars", they bought all of LucasFilm, which also includes Indiana Jones. Not only that but they also bought Marvel Films, as well as ABC Network sports, news etc.

4. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    you're right Crouton... it's bigger than star wars

5. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I'm not too worried about most of it. I was at a panel with Stan Lee earlier this year and he spoke about this deal. He said that Disney will have almost no input into the actual Marvel films, they are just distributer.

6. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I'm sure even that will change with time though. Money speaks louder than anything else. ;)

7. Hammerheart

Hammerheart New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    ****ing lame...granted the nu-star wars movies sucked anyways but still...

keep that shit dark and for adults...i hate the kiddy bullshi* they always have to incorporate... i can only imagine the inclusion of Disney making that worse.

if they start pumping out SW and Indiana Jones movies i'm gonna cry and possibly kill.

8. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I might just do the same

9. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Lucas already screwed up the Star Wars franchise himself. Disney are basically just getting the sloppy seconds.

10. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I would still trust Lucas over disney

11. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Even after he allowed Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

12. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    seeing what Disney lately does... yes, even after that

13. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Disney are still capable of making good films. Once you look past the bile that they are spewing out of the Disney channel

A few films Disney have overseen lately:

The Avengers
    Frankenweenie
    Brave

etc

With films like Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World and even Avengers too coming out. The Avengers was the first Marvel film released under Disney and so far, in my opinion anyway it's been the best.

14. Anakin

Anakin God Emperor

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,157 / 5 / -0
    Well Lucas already said he had written an outline for the next three movies, so it will be a new story, not based on the already existing books. And let's hope Kathleen Kennedy can get Steven Spielberg to do it. He wanted to do a Star Wars film in the past, so let's hope he still wants to. Then we might also have John Williams on board. And then I'll be satisfied.

15. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    The three films have already been filmed, they are sitting in a cutting room here in Australia.

16. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    I find it amazing how many people still love to tear Lucas apart over everything he has done, despite the fact he is the man to thank for creating Star Wars in the first place. In the end, it was his baby. I actually found the bashers to be childish over their laundry list of complaints. It was all about nostalgia, which is all well and good, but they did not want to see any progress. And sadly, it is this kind of thinking which stops many things being approved in greater society such as politics. No one is saying you must agree with what Lucas wants to do, but to become so furious over his decisions is just ludicrous. I'm a Star Wars fan and I'm having to tell people to stop moaning and go get a life :rolleyes: There are worse things going on in the world.

And sadly, people are still tearing Lucas apart over his decision to give Disney his Star Wars. Saying he sold out, it's all about the money etc etc I think if Lucas had denied any involvement in Indy 4 and the prequels, but released them in the exact same condition they are in now, people would have loved them. And come away with 'just as well Lucas wasn't involved!'. And that is precisely what will happen with these new films. Unless, they dislike the idea of them using his old story treatments. So now everything will be blamed on him until he is removed from the equation. What a bunch of ungrateful b***ards. And sadly it is their type that is turning Hollywood into a mindless action flick producer. It's rare now that I see a film that has anything below the surface value, and it's pretty depressing. But it is the so called movie fans that have allowed it to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Anakin

Anakin God Emperor

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,157 / 5 / -0
    You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't. Personally I think the new movies are doomed too. If the new movies are bad, then Lucas will be blamed for selling Star Wars to Disney. But now he is being blamed anyway for not letting others continue to make Star Wars without him. Same with the prequels... I think they were doomed from the start, after all you can't please everyone. And the expectations fans have just demands too much of these films. Because people think the prequels are nothing but hated. Wrong the prequels are loved by a percentage of fans (I can't put a number on it exactly). It's the reason star wars hasn't turned sour and is still popular. And only because Lucas remained true to his vision. And as the creator of Star Wars he has the right to stay true to his vision. I only hope that under Kathleen Kennedy's leadership this will continue, but I'm in doubt because with the real money wolf such as Disney, unlike Lucas (after all he's giving a large sum of the 4 billion bucks to education) as some have blamed him to be, there might be films made purely for money as well.

18. Heaven's Cloud

Heaven's Cloud Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Every piece of art will be criticized by someone. I'm sure there are those out there who aren't all that impressed by Starry Night (although I think if they don't consider the Mona Lisa the hottest thing with man hands, they've got problems :) )

But it took me a while to like Episode 2. I love that movie now. Heck, I even laugh at Jar Jar Binks. I can't forgive Midi-chlorians, but I can ignore them. I watched the prequels until I liked them as a single story, separate from the original trilogy. I do think the storytelling could have been tighter, and if it had been, there would be less bashing. Often enough, people bash art because there is reason not to like it, and their concerns are not always invalid (although I'm of a mind that people take prequel bashing too far) But how many people like the second and third Matrix movies as much as the first? Generally speaking, the first one appealed to more people for many different reasons. Star Wars faces criticism for the same reason. The big difference is that Lucas has left far more holes to punch into his series. That, and Star Wars has been more popular for far longer than The Matrix, so people concern themselves with it a lot more.

What concerns me about this decision to sell to Disney is that I've seen what happens to Star Wars when people other than Lucas get their hands on it. In my personal opinion, the results are far from promising. I read much of the expanded universe material when I was a teenager. My feelings on that stuff now, is that it was a whole lot of gooey soap opera stuff wrapped up to look like Star Wars. Despite that, I still harbor a certain feeling of nostalgia toward that stuff. I stopped buying that stuff when it got even worse. Bantam Books lost their contract to make Star Wars novels, and DelRey books got the contract, and strayed even farther from almost everything that I ever enjoyed about the series. It was like someone spray painted all over Starry Night :O

Now, I remember what Disney did with Power Rangers. I'm glad Saban purchased it back from them. lol. They don't really fill me with confidence that I will like what they do with Star Wars.

19. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +340 / 3 / -2
    Yeah but... the prequel movies that Lucas was responsible for, were awful.
    I've got three words for you... Jar Jar Binks... what a marvelous creation, an alien that speaks in ebonics and is so annoying you pray for a stormtrooper to blast his ****ing head off. Those movies have none of the original charm of the first two.

20. Anakin

Anakin God Emperor

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,157 / 5 / -0
    If one character ruins a whole movie for you... Lol. Then I pity you. Jar Jar was created purely for children and they like him (mind you, not every child does). And that's fine with me. He did his purpose in the first one. He did his purpose in the second one (Which he was barely in), and you see two cameos of him in the third one. Personally what I thought was a bit lacking was the comedy of the droids, though it did work pretty well imo in the beginning of episode III.