Discworld

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Matthias_Thulmann, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes, I forgot about Gaspode.
    Then there's also Carrot, he gets mentioned a lot, not to mention how different the watch is if you look at the first book and the last.

2. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I like Rincewind but all the stories are basically the same -- they're him running away from something, getting kidnapped, running away again, getting kidnapped by somebody else, being driven into a really stupid situation as he attempts to run away again and saving the world by accident.

3. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    That's the briliance of Rincewind.

4. BurntRose

BurntRose New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have to say first of all that i am a huge discworld fan.

I think you both have points here, but I have to agree with Matthius. The discworld books are not so much parodies in the same way as say Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody is a parody of the Harry Potter books. What they are is a satirical take of life in general including the works and views of authors, philosophers, psychologists etc...the point here is that in this day and age there really is no such thing as original thought as described in the definition given. I'm pretty sure that if you research further behind the H.P Lovecraft books you will find mentions of similar theories in myths and legends of the past.

Terry Pratchett though, is a student of human nature and his books reflect the various kinks of thinking and weird logic used by the vast majority of humanity on a daily basis. His books may not contain 'original thought' as you see it, but they do contain a unique perspective on life as a quirky, unpredictable, and random experience and its his understanding and manipulation of this using the fantasy genre which, for me, makes his books so enjoyable.

p.s I would say that these books fall under 2b of the definition of original thought, as i have never come across another author with the same approach as Pratchett has to his subject matter.

5. BurntRose

BurntRose New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that last post was in response to this:-

for some reason was thinking that the first page showed the last few posts, its probably been well covered by now
    really sorry, havent quite got the hang of forums!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  6. BurntRose

BurntRose New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok so a post that actually makes sense this time (having read through the thread) apologies again for before...I dont think i could pick out a fave book, cos I like so many of them! not quite so keen on Rincewind, although I just re-read Interesting Times and kinda liked it better this time round...what I would Like to see is a book about how Vetinari became Patrician...we have the civil war putting Lord Snapcase on the job in Guards Guards but how did Vetinari go from Assassin to Patrician?

7. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I wish I could say there's time for a book on that, but considering Pratchett's condition...

8. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Don't write him off, he's got plenty of years in him yet.

9. BurntRose

BurntRose New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i know, its such a shame. I'm sure he'll get another few done, but I doubt Vetinari becoming Patrician will be covered in them

10. Thea

Thea Dream Chaser/Bookworm

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I haven't read all of the Discworld books yet, but I'm catching up fast. I have to say my favourites so far are Vimes and the rest of the Watch books.:)

11. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
  12. Kaine999

Kaine999 ┼╫£ §₧£§╫µ⌠

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I have to say I love the discworld series, and in fact anything Pratchett has written is of thorough enjoyment to me, but one book I would really love to see, is somethign with a vampire as a main character, I think it would be an interesting read, especially if Pratchett used his unique skills to make it the engaging story that he always does.

13. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Carpe Jugulum? Monstrous Regiment?

14. Kaine999

Kaine999 ┼╫£ §₧£§╫µ⌠

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I meant as a primary character.
    Not as a secondary or tertiary character.
    Maybe a vampire who is allergic too blood.........hmn......

15. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Well I must say, it's about time! Finally, on 30th Dec, it was announced that Terry Pratchett has been
    awarded a Knighthood in the New Year Honours list. Congratulations Sir Terry!

16. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    A small token that is long overdue.
    But still, it's nice.

Did anybody read Nation?I know it's not Discworld but figured I'd ask here.

17. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    He's been diagnosed with a rare kind of Altzheimer, Rav. He'll probably won't see another year.

I think he was due a Knighthood long before he'd been diagnosed that. His ability to mirror society in a satirical way is unmatched by other writers alive - and the only rival for that title in Fantasy of that other author that died way too early - Douglas Adams. I think his work has gone way undervalued by the common critics, but those, by tradition, will only react positive to high literature by tradition. And since Tolkien (an Orginal), it's not really their part to do so...

I really love the way Pratchett writes, though I must confess I like his earlier work better then the more recent books. I think he lost some of the crispness over time, as though stuck with the thought "what should I do next with this wretched world I created...". Although it's also worth of note that his writing skills did develop a lot during - say - the first four books.

My personal favourite must be Commander Samual Vimes, Duke of Morpork (or Ankh - I always forget). He can be so cynical and melancholic at times... especially when talking to Carrot, the most impervious man(/dwarf) when it comes to irony. I love you, Sam :)

18. The4thMusketeer

The4thMusketeer New Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I think you're being unduly pessimistic here. Although TP has given up driving because he no longer trusts himself in the car and has admitted he has to use his spellchecker more than he used to, he says he's still capable of writing and hopes to put out a few more books before his condition deteriorates. Perhaps a new drug will come on the market in the future that will alleviate his condition. Here's hoping...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  19. The4thMusketeer

The4thMusketeer New Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    There's a programme on BBC2 Wed 4 Feb called Terry Pratchett - Living with Alzheimer's where he 'explores some cutting-edge science to reveal more about this terrifying illness.'

20. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well, T4M; a year is what the initial press release said.

I don't hope for "miracle" drugs in the comming 10 years. I know the science, I know the industry. And it's not seeing a new Altzheimer drug any time soon. And between the first press release of "hopeful new Altzheimer drug" and its release to the market takes anything from 5-10 years. And the chance of it actually making the pharmacy is about 10%.

I really hope he gets his latest book done before he'll go around the corner though....