Discworld

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Matthias_Thulmann, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Rychos :)

Have to agree with Turambar there - I've only read about half of Pratchett (I try to cut down on library borrowing 'cause I'll want to keep it longer than I'm supposed to >.>. This means that I buy every used Pratchett book I can find.) But here's hoping that something might come up that'll help him. =/

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rychos

Rychos What's Up, Doc?

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    He's not dead yet of course. Although a lot of fans were so sad from the news, you'd almost think he died. Nevertheless it's a good reason to be sad about as it means the end of Discworld came another step closer. :(

3. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I found it dissapointing in the article that more people read JK Rowling's works than his in england.

In all respects (well mine anyway), he's a much better author, and so many people don't realise that :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    He is the best author. Full stop. No contest.

I'm not happy. :(

5. kleko

kleko Scum of the earth

They are watching me. I know it. They are everywhe
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Well who is? :(

6. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    JK Rowling doesn't have to be a great author, she's got an extremely clever agent. However, because they were written (not very well) for an aging audience, her books will date in under a decade.

Pratchett will entertain people for years to come. I'm hanging on to all my Pratchett books so the next generation in my family can enjoy them. I have a 12-year-old cousin who's showing a glimmer of interest in fantasy, I'll give her a couple more years and then we'll have another Pratchett fan.

7. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Some news for you all.

pTerry was on the news the other day for donating a huge chunk of wonga to Altzheimer's research. He said he will keep writing 'til they put him in the ground, if he can't type any more he'll dictate.

The Colour of Magic is on Sky on Easter Sunday and Monday (23rd & 24th of March). Apparently the premier was received with awe. David Jason (despite the controversy) is fantastic, as are Sean Astin and Tim Curry as Twoflower and Trymon respectively. The big news however, is the identity of the actor playing the Patrician. I can reveal that now (highlight to read): Jeremy Irons
    The next adaptation will be Going Postal.

Lastly, the next book has just gone to the publishers.

8. Priv8eye

Priv8eye New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hooray for the next book going to the publishers! Can't wait for it - any details?

As to Terry's altzheimer's, not great news for anyone, I have experiance or looking after such sufferers on short term basis and it can be hard on all involved. Terry did say however, its affecting his typing ability mainly at present, and if that worsens he will simply dictate his novels for someone else to type for him.

9. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    There is a God.

This couldn't be more perfect. I've never tried imagining any actors playing the roles of any Pratchett characters, but really, I can't think of anyone more suitable for the role. Good thing for Irons, too, you don't see much of him around anymore.

10. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    That's because the only movies he does are the ones where he can get naked and/or have a sex scene.
    There is no way I can picture him as the Patrician, his image would automatically draw the image of some crazy BDSM dungeon in the castle which I certainly hope the Patrician doesn't have.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  11. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    wtf? :)
    must have missed all the good movies, then, 'cause all I can think of in association with him are the Venetian Merchant and the like..
    hm.

btw, you might want to fix the quote, the name is visible without highlighting.

12. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

you sure you've read all the books? ;) ;)

13. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Fixed it.

Other then Dungeons and Dragons I've never seen the guy with his pants UP...which movies are you talking about? :S

Touche, considering the Patricians history he may as well have a dungeon like that. -_-

14. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Heh, this reminds me of a scene in Being John Malkovich: -''What do you mean, you don't know who John Malkovich is?!! He's the greatest American actor of this century!!!'' -''Oh yeah? So what movies has he been in?'' -''Uhh... he was in that movie about jewel thieves and... uhh...'' Kinda same with ... , I mean, everyone knows he belongs to the royalty of British actors and always plays the best roles... Of the more recent ones he, uhh... played in that movie about a young crusader in Jerusalem and uhh... in the TV series about Elizabeth the First and... The Merchant of Venice and.. uhh.. that David Lynch movie and.. and I'm fairly certain he kept it zipped up in most of them, but I won't swear on it :D

Anyways, as a contribution to the Pratchett theme of the thread, here's a still-functioning link to the movie's promo page for those of us who missed it on Sky...

http://www.skyoneonline.co.uk/tcom/

(Three trailers! Behind the scenes! Conceptual art! Hear Saruman as Voice of Death! Train your mouse hand trying to navigate through the drop-down menus! See Sean Astin without a dog-like devotion in his eyes!)

:)

15. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Damn it, I'm on dialup...could you give me a play-by-play? lol jk

Is the movie actually funny? Because as much as I'm told it's not even that...

16. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    It's implied that he doesn't have one -- apparently the nobles would be more comfortable if he did, but instread he plays chess.

A certain deceased bank manager is a different story.

17. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Watch it, I'm on "The Thief of Time" right now, don't spoil the rest of the books for me please.

18. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Oh, you're reading them in order? I read the ones within a theme in ordeer but that's about it.

19. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Well I like it better in the order so I'll have some change, plus the Rincewind books are so much better if you eagerly enticipate them lol

20. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, he carries jokes, characters and philosophies through the books in chronological order, Gaspode for example. If you haven't read Moving Pictures you may be slightly confused by his later appearance.