Discworld

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Matthias_Thulmann, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Matthias_Thulmann

Matthias_Thulmann Archmage of the Elves

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone read it?
    If so what do you like about it?
    I really like Ankh-Morpork, and the wizards
    Minstrum Ridcully, The Bursur and Rincewind the most but Captian Carrot and Commander Vimes are cool too

2. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    You know, there have been several threads for this already, you really should search the archives.

That said, I've read almost all of them. I like the Susan/Death books and the witches the best.

3. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Yeah... other threads. :p I like all of them too, but I didn't like the Rincewind books as much. =/ But I'll give thanks to Unraveller for encouraging to look into Pratchett more. :p

4. Roland

Roland Go Horse's Go

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Rincewind's books where my favourite books, closely followed by the susan/death books.Currently own 19 of them and have read them all.

5. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I liked the Susan/Death books and the witches a lot, and I'm really enjoying the Vimes books too. But frankly, my favorite ones are "Going Postal" and "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents". :p Oh, and the Tiffany books were great.

6. Matthias_Thulmann

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Going postal was amazing the fact that everyone gets the propect of freedom but not freedom is cool I like Vetinari. my collection is getting toward 50 and I cant read them as quick as I buy them

7. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I've only got the first 2 Rincewind books.

So far so good....really funny. Lol, Death is great. Rofl...Scrofulus got rejected XD

8. Yehir

Yehir Wise Fool

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Magrat rules :) At least in Lords and Ladies. Killing an elf through a keyhole, not bad ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  9. Wing Rider

Wing Rider Psychotic Cybernetica

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I love Discworld! The Vimes and Death books are by far my favourites, and the Rincewind ones are also pretty good.

10. Zanven

Zanven Cult Classic Connoisseur

Sitting In A Bunker, Here Behind My Wall.
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well, I am hesitant to say this...but I find the Discworld series nothing more than a copy of H.P. Lovecraft stories.. Examples...:

1.In Moving Pictures, Lovecraft is quoted directly.

2.The book of the Necrotelecomnicon (or Liber Paginarum Fulvarum) is a direct parody of the Necronomicon, which is a fictional book often quoted in Lovecraft stores.

and worst of all

3.Dimensions are clear parodies of Lovecraftian monstrosities, often with names to match (Yob-Soddoth, Tshup Aklathep, Bel-Shamaroth, the Insider, etc.) Which often infuriates fans of H.P. Lovecraft to no end.

All this being said, I'm not saying that it is poorly written or even not entertaining to to read. I just think that the author must be incapable of original thought.

11. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    First of all, Discworld was in fact intended to be a satire on normal fantasy books. If he's quoting from Lovecraft, then he's probably satirizing it.

Please don't accuse the author of not being original without reading all of his books. The dimensions aren't even mentioned in most of the books, as far as I recall. Judging by what you've said, it sounds as though you've only read Moving Pictures and a few of the earlier Rincewind books.

Unraveller, as the local Discworld expert, could elaborate more than I could, given that I only read and enjoy the series. But that's just my two cents.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zanven

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    First of all, H.P. Lovecraft didn't even write fantasy, so that shoots that to heck.

Please don't accuse me of having only read Moving Pictures and some early Rincewind series. Your right, I haven't read all the books, but I've read a good four or five, and not all in the same series, so if I have to read all of his books to find an original thought, then I can only conlcude he isn't a good ... orignal thinker...for lack of a better word. I did not mean ruffles your feathers, at any rate. I, like most all big Lovecraft fans, just hate these near, but not exact, copyright infringments.

I was too broad in my statement of "the Discworld series". It should have been "The several Discoworld books I have read" or something to that affect. Apologies all around.

Me, as a local H.P. Lovecraft fanatic (not expert) was only stating some very obvious facts. But that's just my two cents.

13. Matthias_Thulmann

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Discworld are meant to be parodies of other books and satirical fantasy you're trying to insult him by stating what it is he writes! How do you work that? I mean I can find large references to real things and a million other fantasy novels in them but so what they're parodies!

14. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    You say you've read four or five books in order to see if he has an original thought, but thats hardly a representative quantity. At the current time, there are somewhere in the area of 35-40 books set on the Discworld and very few of them involve anything Lovecraftian at all. In fact, there can't be more than four or five books that deal directly with that period. I can only assume that those are the ones you read and formed your opinion of him based on a small percentage of his work.

And to counter your statement that Lovecraft isn't fantasy, I feel the need to modify Liadan's statement that he parodies fantasy novels. He doesn't parody just these, he parodies EVERYTHING Thats what he does. And if you find parodies unoriginal because they use other people's ideas, then you're the one that's missing out. But, it's your choice and your opinion, so who am I to criticise?

15. Zanven

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Matthias, you missed the point entirely. I said plainly in my first post that I don't think they are poorly written or a bad read. I didn't even attempt to insult him, so all I can do is suggest you actually take time to read the posts before you respond. If anything, you just mde my point more clear that they are nothing more than paradies, and lack original thought.

Doleniel, I appreciate you responding without personal attacks, as other in this thread have. I understand that the books are paradies and happen to enjoy satirical works. All I was saying, is that I dislike the ones I've read. I'm afraid I have to disagree, though, about four or five books not being a representative quantity. I am well aware that it is not a very big ratio of Read books to Unread, but like I stated before, I don't think I should have to read all of an authors works to find orginal thought.

You also used a bit of a contradiction in terms too... " And if you find parodies unoriginal because they use other people's ideas,..."

Definition of original: o·rig·i·nal (o-rj-nl)
    adj.
    1. Preceding all others in time; first.
    a. Not derived from something else; fresh and unusual: an original play, not an adaptation.
    b. Showing a marked departure from previous practice; new: a truly original approach.
    3. Productive of new things or new ideas; inventive: an original mind.
    4. Being the source from which a copy, reproduction, or translation is made

Just thought I'd point that out.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  16. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Lol, yeah, sorry. I just meant the original Rincewind books were parodies of fantasy.

Given that I'm the only other person who responded to your statements, I'll assume that was directed towards me. However, "personal attack" on this forum is defined by people stating that the person is "stupid", etc. because they don't share your point of view.

Reading what I've written, I don't think that any of my statements could be construed as a personal attack.

17. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Liadan: Matthias also replied, so don't assume you are the only one <_<

Zanven has a point. ONe should not have to read all of an author's work to find oringinal thought. It should be evident here and there in all pieces of his work. He has made a fair conclusion from the books he has read. Is it his fault that the books do indeed refer to what he is pointing out?

18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Because Pratchett was parodizing his books? And Pratchett has plenty of original thought. I doubt that he copied every bit of his book off Lovecraft.

Look, we're probably never going to agree on this. I enjoy Discworld a lot, and I could find "original thought" in every book of his. Zanven didn't agree on it, so he could find something "bad" in Pratchett's books, the way I find something "good." It all has to do with human subjectivity.

Sorry, I just went straight to advanced reply and didn't see all the replies. :eek:

Maybe he does have a point, Met, (even if I disagree with it) but the fact that he was accusing me of making "personal attacks" is completely inaccurate. Which is the part that really got to me.

19. Zanven

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Lidian; I'm sorry, I apparently took you telling me not "accuse the author" the wrong way, and I wasn't only talking to you, but the Matthias as well. So anyway, since I hadn't specified who I was directing my post at anyway, I have no decided that its no longer at you ; ) I forgot that if talking badly about H.P. Lovecraft gets Lovecraftians riled, I'm sure the same goes for Discworld...ians...or whatever.

So no hard feelings? = )

• Like Like x 1
  20. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    All right, fine with me. :p