discussion leader

Discussion in 'Comments & Suggestions' started by Turambar, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    OK, I've been thinking about this for some time now. As we all know, one of the most active places here is the General debates section. Many a topic, mostly religious and politic have been discussed about quite furiously, and, as know by most of the regulars, I am not a stranger to that part of the Forum either.

Now, what the debates lack sometimes is some sort of direction. People tend to stray, overlook important points made in the past, and such. What I'd like suggest to improve the section is an active discussion leader. Someone who keeps an eye on the debate, but stays impartial. Now, that could be in the format of a new, and more active mod (though I'm sure there must be one aready), although that would be a hell of a job, no doubt. Alternatively, the person opening a debate could be the leader, or appoint one in his opening statement if he would like to discuss the topic with the rest of the bunch.

For now, this is just an idea, so I would like to hear from the TFF team, as well as the active debaters.

2. frodogurl49

frodogurl49 Jedi Sabermistress

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I may not be an active debater here, but I do debate alot in life ;) but seriously, you do have a good point in that people tend to drift, or forget things, no matter what sort of debate it is. A moderator would be helpful, although it may be hard to find someone with that kind of free time.
    Good Idea, though!

3. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I'd say it is the resposibility of the thread started to keep the discussion on track. Also, in the true spirit of debate it is also up to them to play Devil's Advocate. They should keep an eye on their thread, if necessary attempting to recruite participants in order to keep a balanced debate and avoid one participant feeling 'picked on', which often results in a thread degenerating into flames.

Of course, if someone abuses a thread and doesn't stop after it has been pointed out then there are several caring Mods who would be more than happy to check it out. The 'Head of Member Affairs' (a very ambiguous title if you ask me :p) in particular loves poking her nose into places. :D

4. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Little advice for ya Unraveller. "Do not meddle in the affairs of Admins, for they are subtle and quick to anger." :p

Moderators here are very busy. They do their best to keep the debates on track, but it's not possible to read each and every thread daily; TFF is a large forum. The mods do a wonderful job keeping the debates clean and flame free. Admittedly, sometimes debates meander a bit, but the generally seem to come back to the original topic. Sometimes going off on a tangent gets new thoughts into a thread, so I generally don't stop it the moment it happens; unless the post is clearly spam. The members here are great and generally redirect the issue until it's been beaten to death.

So, Turambar, since ya brought this up, are ya volunteering for the thankless position. Because, you should never bring up an idea requiring alot of work, unless you're willing to do it. heh

Somebody has to keep track of which members are having affairs. ;)

5. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    And why not choose someone who is typically involved in them right? he he

Back on topic. I would urge anyone who witnesses inappropriate behavior in any of the forums to report in to an Admin or Mod. As Nik said, there is alot to do and we can not cover everything. If members take it upon themselves to alert us of these things the problems will be handled more efficiently.