Diplomat of Uram

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ElrondFan, May 2, 2020.

1. ElrondFan

ElrondFan New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I saw this book in a few lists for fantasy (listchallenges, goodreads, ranker...) and I decided to give it a try. I loved it and now I am wondering why isn't the trope of diplomacy used more often in fantasy books. I mean, we have warriors, wizards, bards, rogues, clerics, etc. but the character that would make the most sense traveling here and there is actually a diplomat, isn't it?

So now I am curious about this. Why isn't diplomacy used more often in fantasy books? I saw something similar to this book in Episode One when Anakin and Obi Wan are sent on a diplomatic mission. It makes for an awesome excuse to send characters into different situations and geographical areas with a real mission to motivate them rather than random twists of fate.

What are your thoughts? By the way, besides this book I am also re-reading Elantris and Golden Son and if you haven't tried those I also recommend them. Brandon Sanderson and Pierce Brown never disappoint!

Diplomat of Uram Book Fantasy.jpg

2. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,151 / 5 / -0
    I guess diplomacy just isn’t as interesting as “negotiations with a lightsaber” to many readers.

3. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0
    And diplomacy has a lot harder time blocking a kick in the teeth as well .
    If i came across a party of travelers who were all diplomats I would .... well ...um .shit....I guess I'd do the same thing I do to everyone I come across which is rob them like sukkas and then fuck them up .
    But it'd still be funny like
    Diplomat 1 : Look , that there Tusken is charging right at us !
    Diplomat 2 : You're right !
    Diplomat 3 : Fear not ! I will save us using my non-mystical diplomatic arts !
    Diplomat 2 : Hurry it up then , he's nearly on us !
    Diplomat 1 : (gulp)
    Diplomat 3 : ahem .. You there Tusken ,be a craftsman in speech that thou mayest be strong, for the strength of one is the tongue, and speech is mightier than all fighti....
    CRACK!!
    Diplomat 1 : Please stop !After all force is all conquering, but it's victories are short lived and ..
    WHACK!!
    Diplomat 2 : Ahhhh ,If you dont murder me you can have everthi......
    FUCKING KA-BLAM!!
    And just like that , another 3 sukkas down.

4. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,151 / 5 / -0
    *Lightsaber through the heart*

Easy Peasy....