Dior Eluchil

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    A question thats been on my mind lately concerns the late Dior, son of Beren and Luthien. My question is thus, was he a Man, or a Half-Elf. Now it seems the answer would be Half-Elf, since Beren is a man, and Luthien is an elf. But wasn't Luthien mortal when she had Dior ? And if this was the case, and he is indeed a man, then why was he the ruler of the Elves of Doriath. I have never heard of any man leading Elves before, so why is his case different ? Surely the Elves would not care much for being lead by a mortal.

So, any theories or ideas ?

2. Numenor53

Numenor53 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Dior was Half Elven. Luthien was mortal when she gave birth, but her mortality doesnt affect the race of her offspring. She was still and elf.
    There were three definite cases where a Man and an Elf produced half-elven children: those of Beren and Lúthien, Tuor and Idril; and Aragorn and Arwen.

3. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The case of Tuor and Idril is much simpler, as Idril was an Elf, and Tuor was a Man. The case of Aragorn and Arwen, however, is very similar. The same thing happened, both Luthien and Arwen (and their respective husbands) were "mortal" when they gave birth, so technically their children should be mortal aswell.

Do you have any quotes to back this statement up ? Im not saying I don't believe, in fact, its the most likely explanation, but do you have any evidence that this is the case ?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  4. Numenor53

Numenor53 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

As a title, Half-elven is normally only applied to Elros and Elrond, Like their parents Eärendil and Elwing, these were each allowed to choose their own destinies. I really dont have any quotes of hand but i know i read something that said a Man and an Elf produced half-elven children.

Now your Question was whether he was a man or Half elf, not whether he was Immortal or Mortal, Race is one thing, Mortality another. I dont think ive ever read something that gave a definite answer concerning the mortalilty of offspring, besides Elrond and Elros.

5. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Well, for one thing, Dior was part Maia, so that may have had something to do with it.

Also, although it's true that Lúthien became mortal, she did not become of the races of men like Elros did. She chose to die and become mortal, but she was still an elf.

(Silmarillion, ending paragraph of "Of Beren and Lúthien", page 187 Houghton Mifflin edition).