Different Prints of TSR Monster Manual 1980

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by dlnewhouse, Jul 11, 2018.

1. dlnewhouse

dlnewhouse Baldur's Gate

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Comparing different versions of the Monster Manual is tricky.

[​IMG]

that image from ISBNsearch.org, is the most legit scan, and it does have a TSR logo in the middle of the bottom. The upper right number does say "2003" which means this is a 2003 re-issue.

This logo matches the first edition Monster Manual II, for which there is only one established cover art. The image is from the Forgotten Realms, wiki, without which I wouldn't have figured out how to see this.

[​IMG]

The 2016 on this means that it is a 2016 re-issue.

These are legit, but not especially valuable.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. dlnewhouse

dlnewhouse Baldur's Gate

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This version on ISBNsearch, has a TSR logo that is not legit. That is crummy. I wouldn't spend 2 cents on this version. Yeah, the artwork leaves something to be desired. It is supposed to be the same content as the 2003 issue above.

[​IMG]

Another stunning bad version is from the Forgotten Realms wiki

[​IMG]

The demon trademark in the lower right is gross!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  3. dlnewhouse

dlnewhouse Baldur's Gate

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The only thing really missing in D&D collectables online is the Monster Compendium. And Deities and Demigods. Scratch that, it's available.

There's no image of the original Player's Handbook or ISBN numbers online but there's no reason to believe the 2012 reprint is incomplete, from what is available online. From what I remember, though, the true original print is controversial.

Well, and here I'm going on memories from distant past. And trying not confuse them with the Player's Handbook. I think the original version of the Monster Manual had a love scene on the front, two angels having sex!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018